Wiper blade fittings

so there I was earlier today, wiper blade needs replacing on the passenger side of the Rapid. Measurd at 16", and I have one of these among the collection of wiper blades I keep in the garage.

I buy this stuff when bargains are available and keep it in stock so I don't have a distress replacement, of course. HA

BUT then I find,of course, the fitting has changed - the one on the rapid is different even from the VW one I have in stock.:angry:

So it's down to the local factor to get new blades with the correct fitting - and it is the correct fitting,not a general adaptor sort of thing.In the snow, ice, traffic jams and with a stinking cold.

It doesn't look as if I can re-use the mounting from the old blade that I took off.

So - does anyone know if there are adaptors available so I can use up my 16" and 24" blades that have fittings for the hooked wiper arms and the ones with the side pin that VW used to use?

Cheers - Richard

Alas, I've not seen any standalone wiper blades adapter fittings that will allow the use of any old generic blade on the Rapid. In fact, I've generally found it hard to find aftermarket blades that come with a compatible fitting. The Michelin Stealth blades sold in Costco (which I use) include a Rapid-compatible fitting and are excellent blades. Certain Bosch generic flat blades have one too. But I can tell you the following generic blades don't:

Goodyear

Asda

Wilko

Tesco

Valeo

Hoping I'll be proved wrong by another member, but suspect your stockpile won't be going on your Rapid any time soon sadly.

Chris

Yep I just got Bosch Aero ones too, it was set A556S for the front 2 and fit fine. Found out why my original ones were squeaking too as the rubber had split on one. Anyway got a set from ebay at 17.75 which i thought wasnt bad.

Thanks Chrisgreen - I think you've hit the nail on the head, oh well (Some of my stocks are Bosch Aero blades, some Valeo, some Lucas!)

Mattshaw and Shorty - not quite sure what you are saying - can you expand please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks shorty - I'm with it now.

I did look at the Bosch Aerotwins at Halfords but they seemed to have a non-specific adaptor. I'll have another look before ordering online.

Edited by RMurphy195

I also bought the Bosch A556S set from eBay, they usually go for about 17 to 18 quid. If you get this set, they have the fitting builtin so no other adaptor required, looking at the wipe area, if you change from the pin type to this square slot shape, you'll be moving the wipe are slightly, as the pin type is off set. Mine are not totally silent as they make a small thump noise on stop after some months of use but they appear to the cheapest known brand I can get a hold of.

• 2 months later...

Taking advice from this thread I ordered my blades yesterday which arrived today. I thought they've sent the wrong size when the man delivery man turned up with this :biggrin:

IMG_20180327_124423670_HDR.jpg

All good, they fit a treat :D

10 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

I get mine from Eurocarparts. Their regular 'sales' reduce the price of the Bosch kit to just over £17.

Mine's in for MOT Thursday the only thing I forgot to cast an eye over were the wiper blades, sure enough one failed yesterday on the passenger side.  On Amazon for £22 with next day delivery (Prime)  so more money but without having to chase around looking locally for a pair.