what diesel engine?

R3mba

Hy to ya all ,Im a newbie interested in buyin used yeti, I have driven mazda 2 (08) and renault kangoo, so Im seatching for car with lots space i side,and good driver position.. I didnt yet try yeti, but I think its all that Im searching for.. Now my biggest issue what engine? 2.0tdi 110/140hp or 1.6 tdi??  Ny main usage is 90% town driving, but once A year I go to vaccation 600kmh highway , so I need engine with low town gas usage,but enough power to take young family on vacation on highway..

The way legislation is going and restrictions on diesel engines in towns & cities you might be better off with a petrol version. With 90% urban usage with only rare long trips diesels are likely to be problematic.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Welcome.

Is there much in the way of restrictions or moves against diesels in Croatia?

Probably not but who knows what EU might come up with!! But potential problems with diesels and usual urban use is relevant. 

Edited by Expatman
  • Thanks 1

The 1.6tdi I had was actually quite economical around town, compared to previous 110 tdi.

Much better than the current 150 dsg.

Howvere any 1.6 tdi, 140tdi or pre 2015 110tdi diesel will probably have had the emissions fix, and I wouldn't consider owning one which has had this done. If you can find one wthout the fix applied it may be worth considering.

I do agree with the above though. If most of the use is urban a diesel is not the way to go as it will almost certainly have issues with the diesel particulate filter not getting to high enough temperature, for long enough to clear out the soot. Once it is full it has to be replaced at a large cost.

My wifes 1.6tdi fabia seems to be ok on 4000 miles a year, but she does at least one high speed longish trip a week to get the exhaust up to temperature for 30 mins or so to burn off the ash. This car has not had the fix, and will not again go near a Skoda dealer to ensure it stays un-molested.

Thank you guys for answers,I manage to finally sit in one yesterday,fckn woow, why is it so hard nowday to make such a spacey interior with great driving position and view ,only thing that bothers me is narrow (tight) space for your *gas* (right) leg, so it pushes my left foot on that resting position,I must say that I went and looked suzuki s cross and he is now option too.. Thing is Prices of used in my country are too high so I need to import my car from other eu country,and now we get to eco. legislations, my gov. looks at co2  when you import car, and everything above  130g  , And import taxes are craizy, so My option is 1.6tdi, (coz 2.0tdi has 140g co2),but I dont know how is that enough for 1440kg car, S cross has 1320kg and 120hp 1.6d engine..  Due town driving diesel, Im driving kangoo without any problems..

Edited by R3mba
  • Like 1

Is there any issue in Croatia with the VW Scandal and the Euro 5 Diesels with Defeat Devices, and false Co2  g/km figures, 

any requirement for them to have the VW Fix, or modified Emissions figures?

Be aware that the Hungarian built S-Cross was under investigation with the Suzuki-Fiat engine for Defeat Devices, but i think was given the all clear.

• Thanks 1

No, we have thiefs and treators in our guvermants last 25y, only thing they bother is how to ruin this country and how to steal for them and their family.. We have eu laws,and 3rd world pay checks.. I forgot to.mention, my future wife parents live in place near my town (20km of open road for driving there), and she visit them at least once a week so cleaning dpf shouldnt be a problem..

• Thanks 1

If your Kangoo is a 2004 version, I suspect it was before the problem emissions equipment was added to diesel engines, and is happy in town driving.   The euro5 and euro6 engines will clog up if nearly all your driving is around town

Remember there is no advantage saving money by using diesel if you have to pay hundreds to clean the filters every few months, better to buy petrol engine and no have maintenance problem.    But you have to balance this against any extra import tax

11 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

If your Kangoo is a 2004 version, I suspect it was before the problem emissions equipment was added to diesel engines, and is happy in town driving.   The euro5 and euro6 engines will clog up if nearly all your driving is around town

Remember there is no advantage saving money by using diesel if you have to pay hundreds to clean the filters every few months, better to buy petrol engine and no have maintenance problem.    But you have to balance this against any extra import tax

Is once a week open road driving  enough to clean filter? And what about removing it??

When I was looking some other cars my buddy who is mechanic told me that you can easily remove filter without any harm..

I have no worries about buying a diesel - we have a couple of diesel Yeti's and I am now looking for a "good value" 170 to use in the UK.  Do I believe all this "anti-diesel" hype - probably not .... and certainly not enough to change my mind

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Expatman said:

In the UK if you remove the filter the car will not pass the MOT test and is illegal to drive. Best check your situation in Croatia.

Only question is can you drive it without??? I dont give a f about laws.. Let us switch to thing that matter.Is 1.6 tdi 105hp strong enough for 1400kg car? Whats the consuption and what is feel to drive it.  Going on vacation with it? etc etc..

• Sad 1

They do pass UK MOT's, thousands of them, but there are MOT checks that mean they should not pass a UK MOT,

just visual and as per each year it is said that the clamp down starts next year 2018, or the start of the start of the Clamp Down, 

no new equipment yet in MOT stations yet though to have these with Stripped out DPF's found out and a MOT fail.

The UK has probably the most lax MOT's in all of Europe / EU and the Authority / Government / DVSA / DFT that spins most on taking action on emissions 

and stripping of Emission Reduction components from vehicles. yet fail to move their butts and do the actual implementation.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

1.6 is good for about 55mpg if driven carefully as an overall average.

i have seen 65 on a slow trip and low 40’s on urban use.

Engine is fine and will sit at the speed limit all day.

You will think 3 times before pulling out to overtake though.

• Thanks 1

Brijo I was asking nice and polite about engines consumption and power.. Not about eu laws, and do I have to obey them.. So I dont see any point of your cinizm.. And after all I think that 1.6 105hp diesel is too weak for 1400kg car.. So I'm looking beyond yeti, importing 2.0tdi would be just too pricey 

They do the job of getting 4 people around with the kerb weight of about 1,350 kg then the 250 kg or what ever more the load is you carry.

But truth be told there are a bit of a slug really compared to something with less heavy & with less shed like aerodynamics.

Best see if there is one you can try before thinking of a buy.

On 20/12/2017 at 09:57, R3mba said:

Only question is can you drive it without??? I dont give a f about laws.. Let us switch to thing that matter.Is 1.6 tdi 105hp strong enough for 1400kg car? Whats the consuption and what is feel to drive it.  Going on vacation with it? etc etc..

Then perhaps you shouldn't have said the above!
Personally anyone, anywhere with that attitude will get no help from me.

• Confused 1

what are u some kind of rat? or mommas boy?? I came from streets delboy mentality, I lived thru war and bunch of shi*  ,who are u to judge me and to tell me how to live..I came here for answers about yeti, and you are giving me moral high ground..

on car forum..

oh my god 

I have had 250kg and 2 adults in my 1.6 Greenline Yeti and not found it wanting.

Also a very good report from Practical Caravan with 1256kg hanging off the back of the 1.6 Greenline.