230ish BHP Fabia

JaamesVRS

I currently have a 166bhp/325ftlb Fabia and in all honesty I can't wait to get rid, it bores the life out of me! I had a 106 GTi before hand which was much quicker and much more fun which is now my dedicated track car. I was looking at getting rid for a Megane R26 or similar, now if I got my Fabia to around 230-250bhp what are they like? As the fabia is far from fast compared to the 106. Also if I go for a bigger turbo would I need to upgrade the clutch? If I got the torque capped around 300ftlb? Or is it better to just get the Megane? I've never seen a Fabia around the 250bhp go or haven't come across one, just doesn't fill me with much confidence when my Fabia and my 106 were side by side to around 80mph then the 106 pulled past like the fabia was standing still and the 106 is around 130bhp and my Fabia is mapped? 

That is what I'm thinking mate - out the box the Megane has the LSD, 4 pot brembos etc seems like a lot more car than the fabia, brakes are going to be sorted asap as I will have the fabia for a good while longer hence thinking of running more power 

That is my point Sepul, like granted I could go 1756 intercooler etc etc however it will only be around the 200-250 mark at a push whereas the Megane can be seen 280bhp with exhaust intercooler map and probably be a lot more car than the fabia. Mine isn't a slouch but for 166bhp and 325ftlb I would expect more. I'm not sure if I'm riddled with boost leaks though, if I posted my dyno graph would you be able to tell? 

Really they are a slouch, just Warm or Hot Hatches.

Just go buy a fast one with good brakes and handling as standard, then go spend more making it faster. 

They are often less expensive than a tarted up slouch.  No moisture in the car, sticking brakes and if you want floor the throttle 

and at 130 there is more go.

22 minutes ago, JaamesVRS said:

That is my point Sepul, like granted I could go 1756 intercooler etc etc however it will only be around the 200-250 mark at a push whereas the Megane can be seen 280bhp with exhaust intercooler map and probably be a lot more car than the fabia. Mine isn't a slouch but for 166bhp and 325ftlb I would expect more. I'm not sure if I'm riddled with boost leaks though, if I posted my dyno graph would you be able to tell? 

Dude, I'd have the Megane in a heartbeat if I were in your shoes, I loathe diesels, I like high-revving petrol engines without turbos, just like your TU5J4.

I have a 230ish fabia and it's exactly what I want, 50mpg on way to work and plenty of power when I want it, torque makes for an easy drive with power available at any rpm.

Why did you buy a diesel car if you like high revving petrol cars? seems like an odd choice.

A 230bhp Fabia is a nippy car and up to 100-110mph will keep up with much faster machines than it should. 

However to make use of the power you do require upgrading in every area. Clutch, brakes, LSD, suspension.

It still won't handle amazingly though but that's what happens when you have a lump of pig iron in a short wheel base car lol. 

On 17/12/2017 at 20:11, duck said:

I have a 230ish fabia and it's exactly what I want, 50mpg on way to work and plenty of power when I want it, torque makes for an easy drive with power available at any rpm.

Why did you buy a diesel car if you like high revving petrol cars? seems like an odd choice.

Never owned a diesel car before always had high revving petrols and over on the fabia pages the boys reckon the Fabias are the fastest cars in the world so thought I would give it a whirl :lol: 

got it mapped about 2 weeks after buying it and after my 106 completely destroyed it and after driving the mrs Mini JCW 210 I knew I needed fun back in my life and the VRS just doesn't cover that! Maybe because it's on standard suspension maybe because it's underpowered but it really doesn't make me smile like the 106 does ... granted the 106 has a seat cage and plastic windows though lol 

i dont tend to chop and change my cars too often in all honesty, usually I keep them for quite sometime I know that's almost 80bhp difference from my figure at 166 and 230 but does it feel like 230? Or would a Megane R26 (230bhp) trounce the fabia at 230bhp? 

On 17/12/2017 at 20:11, duck said:

IMG_9089.JPG

Don't forget the 106 is a lot lighter so will trounce a 166bhp Fabia, especially as yours is stripped down. A Fabia is fun, but and their is a but you have to spend quite a bit to get it up there comparatively and it will never handle as good as the 106 IMO. A 1756, FMIC, clutch, flywheel, LSD, PD150 headbolts, coilovers, decent map, 312mm brakes is the majority of what you'd need to buy in order to go 230 and over. 230 is about the limit before things start to get really expensive and far more unreliable. 

Best bang for buck would probably be the Megane but it is French and electrics probably not it's strong point so be prepared for some eccentricities with that. 

However if you want fun and some decent mpg then the Fabia, just don't be expecting handling like you get from the 106. I've got a Mk7 Fiesta ST and it is amazing on track and far more capable than my old Fabia which was circa 280bhp.

That's the issue the 106 makes me smile ear to ear, the fabia just makes me depressed when I drive it!! I'm worried about going 230ish out the fabia but still feel the same about it! And it being completely boring etc, granted the Megane will have electrical woes nothing im not used to with the 106 although it's mainly been mechanical issues with that! I don't want to out the fabia as I love a good sleeper, but at the same time the Megane keeps making me want to convert. Is it worth spending 4k on a Megane? Or soop the fabia up? Seeing as I paid 1200 for mine! Cost wise to see 230-250, what would i be looking around? I would source second hand parts on some things to keep cost down too, 312s FMIC etc 

Edited by JaamesVRS

On 12/17/2017 at 17:39, JaamesVRS said:

I currently have a 166bhp/325ftlb Fabia and in all honesty I can't wait to get rid, it bores the life out of me! I had a 106 GTi before hand which was much quicker and much more fun which is now my dedicated track car. I was looking at getting rid for a Megane R26 or similar, now if I got my Fabia to around 230-250bhp what are they like? As the fabia is far from fast compared to the 106. Also if I go for a bigger turbo would I need to upgrade the clutch? If I got the torque capped around 300ftlb? Or is it better to just get the Megane? I've never seen a Fabia around the 250bhp go or haven't come across one, just doesn't fill me with much confidence when my Fabia and my 106 were side by side to around 80mph then the 106 pulled past like the fabia was standing still and the 106 is around 130bhp and my Fabia is mapped? 

Hi, there are a few members that have tuned to over 250 bhp take a little time to serch day devonutopia for one.

The R26 is rated by all of the driving enthusiast magazines especially if you take a quick trip to K-Tec .

Have you seen Chris Harris video on the 205 Rallye and I think he might have owned a classic ax gti - WORTH SEARCHING FOR.

2 hours ago, JaamesVRS said:

That's the issue the 106 makes me smile ear to ear, the fabia just makes me depressed when I drive it!!

Let's swap cars for a week and then see how depressed you are :D

TMB that's my wonder is it worth modifying and is 230bhp considered fast? Cause 166 feels so slow considering the 106 is faster due to weight etc but due to the torque and the turbo on the fabia I would of thought t would of left my 106 GTi standing considering it's a standard engine opposed to my Fabia with the remap

You sure the fabia is actually running properly?

The 106 has a standard power of 118bhp does it not? And 0-60 of about 8 and a bit seconds. Fabia does it standard in about 8.5 and remapped you could probably see around 7.5. I know that doesnt account for much of a comparison but would have thought the two cars should be at least evenly matched on the straights.

57 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

@sepulchrave your just biased towards petrols, you've already admitted you hate diesels so I'm not surprised your trying to steer OP away from them :dull:

No, I just hate turbos, however my Renault Master LWB is a turbo diesel, it's got a great engine.

I guess my first and only love is for high-revving N/A petrol engines, I'm a biker at heart really, I still love two strokes as well, dreaming of buying a classic 'stroker next spring.

4 hours ago, JaamesVRS said:

TMB that's my wonder is it worth modifying and is 230bhp considered fast? Cause 166 feels so slow considering the 106 is faster due to weight etc but due to the torque and the turbo on the fabia I would of thought t would of left my 106 GTi standing considering it's a standard engine opposed to my Fabia with the remap

Dunno mate, mines just a shopping trolley. What I was joking about is that mine's so slow that it would make yours seem like a rocket.

Edited by TMB

13 hours ago, clarendon462 said:

How much did your 106 weigh?

Standard they are showing as 950kg so thats 126bhp per ton

Fabia is 1315kg so saying its 166bhp means its 126bhp per ton

When the 106 was weighed/tested for 0-60 it was actually completed with a full tank of fuel and 4 passengers, the car was much quicker than first thought and if the tests were carried out with 1 driver and empty tank the insurance would be too high for youngsters who which the car was aimed at, google it, known fact in the 106 world. My 106 has one single carbon kevlar seat, the entire insides have been gutted, all glass replaced with Perspex apart from the front window, the inside of the door skin etc have been hole sawed for more weight reduction, it's around the med 800kg mark id say it's been on a serious diet. No carpets trim etc all ripped out, I would need to get it weighed to find out exactly.

my fabia rolled 166/325 with flash map, may be riddled with boost leaks as it does soot at the higher rpm over 3/4k 

the 0-60 time in the 106 is much quicker than what they state, I also have a VTR gearbox in mine so it doesn't hit the limiter in 2nd til about 70/75 so it shaves even more time off 0-60. Much longer ratios than the GTi box, however it doesn't accelerate as quick as the GTi box so it's swings and roundabouts but I prefer the longer ratios on track. Brands hatch I barely get into fourth and that's just before paddock hill bend before I'm back down into 3rd, Lydden hill is only 2nd/3rd don't even get into 4th