Odd non-starting problem

Put my diesel VRs in for its 20k service a week past Saturday and then didn’t use it till last Wednesday. Weather was very cold so used my wife's car as it’s garaged so doesn’t need scraping. When I tried to start it the starter clicked followed by a whine that sounded like some kind of overload. Called Skoda Assist and their technician said he’d never experienced that before. He persisted and on the third attempt it started but was very, very rough for 10-15 seconds and eventually when revved it smoothed out and started perfectly thereafter. He thought perhaps there was fuel In the fuel rail that was injected at the wrong time in the cycle, causing pinking. I can’t understand how a diesel pinks as you surely can’t get pre-ignition before compression. He suggested that the garage may have installed a software upgrade that was corrupt but they say they wouldn’t do that without asking me (which I don’t believe) and hadn’t. Going in next week to get any fault codes checked. 

Anyone experienced this or suggest what it could be?

My Alhambra with 17,000 miles and 12 months old with no servicing was parked for 3 days at below freezing and just started after 3 attempts and then ran rough, 

and then OK. I thought one more try and the battery would be dead.

I had to switch off the radio, turn lights to DRL and cross my fingers, now i have jump leads in the car because the battery is crap.

That is common, odd not common to the Skoda Assist person.

(Not needing scrapping means nothing, is the garaged heated or was it maybe below -0*c at times in the 3 days?)

The starter motor is the pre-engaged type, so the whine was the starters inability to turn the engine over, and it disengages and just spins freely. How much diesel was in the tank? Even winter diesel can thicken at low temperatures, and will cause poor starting and rough running for a few seconds after start.

Theres no SCR on the O3 yet is there?

I would also suggest a weak battery may be the cause...

Has it happened since or was the next start ok?

It could be that the car was left at the garage with the ignition or lights on for a long time.

At warm températures it was enough to start it but without a long journey afterwards & several days in the cold weather, the battery was not charged well.

Sorry the Ad-blue comment was unrelated to the OP's low battery and failing to start issue.

neither was my scrapping comment as it was his significant others car in the garage.

As to the servicing garage, and what might have happened there then that is anyone's guess.

?

cambuscat, 

where was it in at for the Major Service, and is it they that are going to be checking it? 

Not an Arnold Clark or Parks is it?

Henrys i hope?

Edited by AwaoffSki

Temperature was around -5C for four days. No sign that the battery was low and it’s only 18 months old. No sign of the problem recurring and plenty of diesel in the tank and not cold enough to start waxing. Was in Henrys and going back next Thursday. Have been happy with them up TIL now but it took several calls over four days to get to speak to the service manager. 

• Like 1