Emptying Washer Reservoir

Hi I have 2013 Mk3 Octavia

My wife has put some anti-freeze in the washer reservoir (about 500ml before she realised). I'm looking to get it out without potentially damaging the paintwork.

I've tried putting a siphon down to the tank but it gets stuck before it gets to the tank. There is an obvious filter on top that is easily removed but I think maybe there is a second filter just before the tank blocking it getting through?

Any tips on how to empty it? If I top it up all the way with water do you think it will dilute the anti-freeze enough to just use the pump to get it out without risk to the paintwork?

Maybe have to remove the reservoir?  Not sure how to get at it, maybe through wheel arch?

Thanks!

Can you locate the pipe to the windscreen jets, disconnect it then run the pump to drain it out.

Maybe not for too long, it might burn out.

• Thanks 1

Put clean rags over all the washer nozzles. Remove one washer pipe from a front nozzle and operate washers. The removed pipe have lower resistance to pressure so very little will come out of the other other nozzles.

1 minute ago, PJLittle said:

Thanks all. I like the idea of disconnecting pipe to jets. I certainly can't see it from the top of engine bay. What is the best way to get at it?

Probably be under that plastic shield around the wipers with the grilles in it.

I would top up the bottle with water before pumping it out to dilute the contents whichever method you use.

If you cannot disconnect the bottle or washer jet lines, top it up with water & suck out as much as possible into a bucket & measure how much you bring out.

I think the washer bottle is around 5L so you will have an idea of the dilution & how far your tube reaches, repeat a few times & the contents should be mostly diluted & can be pumped out of the washer jets.

4 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

and the moral of the story is..... :D

Well my ex, once tried to top up the oil in her 1974 Mini using the dipstick tube rather than the rocker cover oil filler cap. She also put diesel in it twice!

You don't want antifreeze anywhere near the paintwork.

Jack the car up, remove the front drivers side wheel, remove the wheel arch liner and then you have full access to the washer bottle. Remove the pump and this will then allow you to fully drain the washer bottle.

Then put a bottle of screen-wash in the boot for the wife, or better still ask her to tell you when the on-dash warning for low washer fluid appears.

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

You don't want antifreeze anywhere near the paintwork.

Jack the car up, remove the front drivers side wheel, remove the wheel arch liner and then you have full access to the washer bottle. Remove the pump and this will then allow you to fully drain the washer bottle.

Then put a bottle of screen-wash in the boot for the wife, or better still ask her to tell you when the on-dash warning for low washer fluid appears.

Perfect, tx mate.