PD130 VRS injector lash setting

floydboy1

Hi all,

Ive recently replaced the head and gasket, and I'm just finishing off the last few bits.

I replaced the seals on injectors and replaced them with new bolts as recommended, and I wanted to go out today and set the lash correctly on the newly installed injectors.

I was reading this forum post 

But after trying this out I am completely confused.

When the injector is fully pressed (i.e the spring is squashed down as far as possible) when you crack the locking nut off and attempt to screw the adjust screw down, it constantly feels hard to screw by hand. 

And as a poster has recommended, unscrew it and then screw back in until you hit resistance, but of course, when you unscrew the little grub screw, the spring will of course continue to raise until it hits the underside of the rocker itself, and when you try to screw it back down, you are fighting against the spring again making it difficult to screw in by hand?

It would make more sense to adjust the grub screw when the injector is at its highest point, that way, the spring is at its highest point already, therefore when you screw in the adjuster grub screw, you can go down until you hit resistance, then back out 180 and lock it back in place.

Can anyone shed some more light on this for me please as I find it very strange that anyone would be able to screw IN the adjuster screw when the injector is fully depressed.

Cheers all.

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

Yes of course you set the lash when the injector is fully compressed, you need to be sure the plunger isn't binding, wind the allen key in until it binds then wind it back out half a turn.

The alan key will always bind as it is pushing against a spring that is trying to put it back up. The only time it wont bind is when the adjustment screw is screwed above the bottom of the rocker arm. This is what I don understand

16 minutes ago, floydboy1 said:

The alan key will always bind as it is pushing against a spring that is trying to put it back up. The only time it wont bind is when the adjustment screw is screwed above the bottom of the rocker arm. This is what I don understand

Look, the allen bolt adjuster will push the spring down until the plunger hits the bottom of the injector, then it won't move any more, it is possible that you need to loosen the lash rather than tighten it, just back the adjuster off , then screw it back down until it stops, then back it out half a turn. That's it. The hardest bit is getting the cam to the point of maximum lift on the rocker arm so you can actually do the adjustment.

55 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Look, the allen bolt adjuster will push the spring down until the plunger hits the bottom of the injector, then it won't move any more, it is possible that you need to loosen the lash rather than tighten it, just back the adjuster off , then screw it back down until it stops, then back it out half a turn. That's it. The hardest bit is getting the cam to the point of maximum lift on the rocker arm so you can actually do the adjustment.

I get what u mean. The weird thing is I undid the allen bolt adjuster and tried to tighten it back up and it was still tight, so maybe it has been screwed it WAYYYY to far. I will crack if off tomorrow wind it right out and then wind it in, im sure i'll feel that definite stop !

Cheers for taking the time to explain.

And thanks mogwye for the links

3 hours ago, hutchysrs50 said:

I wrote the guide a while ago, it’s actually really easy to do.

Just make sure your not over compressing the injector as it’ll be broken now :D

Nice one. I didn't screw it down any further than it was already screwed down tbh. The car was running fine a few months ago until the head gasket went. I was really afraid to back it out and then try again as I was confused by the fact that the spring would follow the grub screw back up all the way, but I will do it again over the next few days. 

Cheers all . 

P.S What actually breaks in the injector if you force the adjuster screw down too far?

The plunger inside would get damaged. 

To clarity what’s involved...

- turn the camshaft so it’s fully compressed the injector down.

- crack off the securing nut and unwind it right out the way.

- tighten the Allen key down by hand (no ratchets) until it stops.

- back it off 180° and hold it steady while you wind the securing nut back down and tighten

• Like 1

Thanks all, sorted this the other day. Just to get back to you all to say thanks again. All the comments and guides helped, it was just me worried that it doing damage turning it while the spring was compressed but doing it again made me see exactly what the guides were explaining. For anyone doing this in the future, its best to use an actual 'L' shape allen key as using a 3/8" allen socket on a extension wont give you enough grip to be able to turn the adjuster screw down, which is the problem I was having which made me think it was too tight in the first place. But using a L shaped allen key , you could feel a definite stop when it was at its lowest point. Also made backing it off 180 degrees easier to visualise too!

So thanks again all!

Lloyd

• Like 3