Best used SUV - Christmas quiz

BillN_33

£9k to £13k

4WD or 4x4

Manual

under 40,000 miles

just going through Autotrader

a good used well speced Yeti 140bhp 4x4 (Diesel)...... still looks the best value Dealer List at £10k to £13k .... probably buy for £1k less

what do you guys thinks?

Edited by BillN_33
added word

Guest FurryFriend

As always, without seeing and inspecting the car, who knows?

Never, ever buy a car costing this much without checking it in person and satisfying yourself of its history and servicing. 

18 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

As always, without seeing and inspecting the car, who knows?

Never, ever buy a car costing this much without checking it in person and satisfying yourself of its history and servicing. 

That is pretty obvious statement ........ why have you been caught out?

Guest FurryFriend

Sorry... But Autotrader is UK wide, so without knowing your location, and that of the car, it's actually very good advice. 

No, I haven't ever been caught out, but over many many years in the trade,  I've dealt with, and made a lot of money from many  many customers who have, and bought what turned out to be completely corroded and mechanically shot lemons. 

Your shout..... Sorry you felt my advice was so useless. Better ask someone else. 

13 minutes ago, BillN_33 said:

That is pretty obvious statement ........ why have you been caught out?

Perhaps bear in mind that we have a fair number of new visitors here, who are not fully aware of benchmarks?

Does the AA, RAC still do car inspections?  I asked a garage if I could have a car AA inspected

(many years ago)they said noso I walked out. Plenty of cars and dealers out there that have

nothing to hide.

Guest FurryFriend
2 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

Does the AA, RAC still do car inspections?  I asked a garage if I could have a car AA inspected

(many years ago)they said noso I walked out. Plenty of cars and dealers out there that have

nothing to hide.

Says it all. Very wise. 

Your money.... and spending it is always so much easier than getting it back. Unfortunately, many buyers wear rose tinted specs when viewing their dream cars. I always go to see them with my overalls on and if the seller has an issue with me fully inspecting it, which might take 2 hours plus, then I'm on my way home. 

43 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

Sorry... But Autotrader is UK wide, so without knowing your location, and that of the car, it's actually very good advice. 

No, I haven't ever been caught out, but over many many years in the trade,  I've dealt with, and made a lot of money from many  many customers who have, and bought what turned out to be completely corroded and mechanically shot lemons. 

Your shout..... Sorry you felt my advice was so useless. Better ask someone else. 

I part owned several motor vehicle companies, selling mainly new commercial and some new cars, all our part ex's when straight into the trade

I would agree with you on one thing ....... never trust a private seller unless you know him and the car

34 minutes ago, cootuk said:

but but but but...for that price you could get a brand new Duster rather than used...and have a fiver change...

'old out yur annndddd.....

Living in France most of the Year we are quite familiar with the Duster ....... and it is more popular in FR than UK ......... I was quite impressed with the performance of the 1,5 Diesel engine but unhappy with the build quality, rear drum brakes and almost cart spring suspension

We thought about a new Duster when we bought our second Yeti - but I when I had speced the Duster up to what I wanted we managed to get a 6,000 kms 9 month old Yeti 110 for not much more.  We bought the car from a Skoda dealer about 100 miles away ...... I was quite happy with his description over the phone and it was a "staff" car - in France dealers can register cars for their own use and as long as they keep them for 9 months, (I think), they buy them effectively VAT free ...... so there are usually some good deals around, if you are in luck ...... we saved Euro 7,000 off the Skoda List price

with the fall in £'s new cars have become more expensive in FR v UK

used cars in FR are more expensive than in the UK - like for like

Anyone considered the BMW X1 - the 2,0 - 20 or 18?

Edited by BillN_33

But has it had the diesel emissions  fix?

That could be why some are so cheap with reliability suspect. Owners have possibly already had expensive repairs under the warranty which comes with the fix and want to get rid before it fails again.

It is only a matter of time until cars left unfixed are going to start having a premium in value to those who are aware of the risks in a fixed car.

I personally wouldn't consider buying one which has had this done. Cars from Skoda or VW/Audi sources will all have had the fix done automatically; and a large number of uninformed owners have voluntarily risked the future reliability of their cars to have the optional emissions fix done thinking they are somehow reducing emisions or it was a safety matter as Skoda were very clever with the wording of the letter inviting owners to take their car in for it to be done.

Bill if you buy a uk yeti would the intention be to re-register it in France? If  so, just be aware that if the original registration was after the 1st Jan 2014 then you WILL have to pay an anti pollution premium which probably will be more than 1k€ I fell foul of this with my Adventure as it was reg'd 28 feb 2014 although built in 2013 I was not happy but as here c'est la vie!

57 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

Bill if you buy a uk yeti would the intention be to re-register it in France? If  so, just be aware that if the original registration was after the 1st Jan 2014 then you WILL have to pay an anti pollution premium which probably will be more than 1k€ I fell foul of this with my Adventure as it was reg'd 28 feb 2014 although built in 2013 I was not happy but as here c'est la vie!

no - we are gradually moving back to the UK and we want another car to use in the UK