EGR valve and Emmissions reset

IanjC

Hi I have a 2012 Octavia 1.6Tdi which has covered 54000 miles. I had the EGR valve replaced at 40000 miles just under a year ago a couple of weeks ago the vehicle was recalled by Skoda for the emissions reset. Then last week whilst driving on the motorway to London the orange glow plug warning light came on and went into limp mode I stopped and the light reset itself and then drove ok. I called out a breakdown recovery company who confirmed the EGR valve was faulty again. 

Two questions could the emissions reset affect the EGR valve and secondly if the garage where I had it replaced refuse to replace the faulty EGR valve should I try Skoda . Thanks 

What a shame you allowed them to do the emissions fix, as this is voluntary and not a recall. 

This is the first of several faults that can arise after having the emissions fix. Skoda will replace the EGR valve for free under their Trust Bulding Measures. You will have this support for the lower of two years or 160,000 miles. When the software was upgraded, you should have been given documents explaining this.

Contact a Skoda garage to arrange the work. You should also be able to claw back from Skoda UK the cost of diagnostics. If the garage is not on the ball, call Skoda UK for a case number.

Finally, I suggest you sign up with the closed Facebook page, VW Emissions Scandal, and also look at the numerous threads on Briskoda showing the problems people are having after allowing Skoda to update the software.

Edited by pikpilot
Typos
  • Like 1

You might want to join another closed Facebook group that I have just discovered.

It is dedicated to removal of the emissions update, returning  the car to pre-fix. I have not joined so can't see the details but I do know that it is reported that VW put in blocks to stop removal of the fix and that some have overcome this by direct contact with certain chips on the ECU.

The Facebook group is called VAG Emissions Update Removal VW AUDI SEAT SKODA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/100549660664993/ but this may not link as it is a closed group.

It is wrong that owners need to spend money to revert to pre-fix but it is probably the only way to get a reliable engine. There is no proof that fixed emissions are better in the real world either.

Thanks for that I shall give it a look.

For me the only dilemma I have is whether to take my car to the garage who fitted the EGR valve as I cannot confirm it was a Skoda approved part or just go to Skoda who did the re map ? I read the terms of the Trust building measures and they will only replace Skoda approved parts which could rule me out if EGR valve isn't an approved one . 

Although it still cost just under £800 pounds compared to Skoda who wanted a £1000 and I would have no car for a week as they didn't stock them ! 

Sorry to say just don't trust the main dealers ? 

On on a side note I did think it strange that when I got the car back I had a new Skoda shovel in the boot some de-icer and a scraper ! 

7 minutes ago, IanjC said:

Thanks for that I shall give it a look.

For me the only dilemma I have is whether to take my car to the garage who fitted the EGR valve as I cannot confirm it was a Skoda approved part or just go to Skoda who did the re map ? I read the terms of the Trust building measures and they will only replace Skoda approved parts which could rule me out if EGR valve isn't an approved one . 

Although it still cost just under £800 pounds compared to Skoda who wanted a £1000 and I would have no car for a week as they didn't stock them ! 

Sorry to say just don't trust the main dealers ? 

On on a side note I did think it strange that when I got the car back I had a new Skoda shovel in the boot some de-icer and a scraper ! 

I think ur find skoda will rectify your car regardless if the egr is a pattern part as the “fix” is something they have asked you to do.

I work within the VAG group as a Service advisor & have seen loads of these issues post fix & pretty much all are repaired by the brand. So I wouldn’t be paying for it again 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just to keep you updated on my vehicle it went into my local Skoda garage today and I received a phone call this afternoon to inform me the issues were down to the EGR coolant unit ? So I ve looked this up and it appears to assist in cooling the gases produced by the exhaust system. 

Which appears to account for the fact I had noticed the temperature gauge was taking longer to reach normal operating temperature and that the coolant reservoir was down but I couldn't see any fluid anywhere. 

So I am now waiting to see if Skoda UK will assist in meeting the costs for this ? Should hear tomorrow fingers crossed ! 

It will be covered under the Trust Building Measures. If your garage isn't sure, go directly to Skoda by phone and Skoda will authorise free repair at your chosen Skoda garage.

I had a similar event with my 1.6 TDI awhile ago - before the hole dieselgate debacle and before the emissions fix.

At about 80.000 Km the engine light came out and the car went into limp mode. I got the entire egr/intercooler unit replaced under goodwill - Skoda covered the entire cost, even being out of warranty at the time.

On 27/12/2017 at 19:28, IanjC said:

Hi I have a 2012 Octavia 1.6Tdi which has covered 54000 miles. I had the EGR valve replaced at 40000 miles just under a year ago a couple of weeks ago the vehicle was recalled by Skoda for the emissions reset. Then last week whilst driving on the motorway to London the orange glow plug warning light came on and went into limp mode I stopped and the light reset itself and then drove ok. I called out a breakdown recovery company who confirmed the EGR valve was faulty again. 

Two questions could the emissions reset affect the EGR valve and secondly if the garage where I had it replaced refuse to replace the faulty EGR valve should I try Skoda . Thanks 

It’s interesting you say that your EGR valve failed at 40000 miles.

Another thread on the briskoda forums is inferring that they only fail after having the software upgrade!  I had the software fix on 1st August 2017 and my EGR failed in late November.  I did have 92000 on the clock so it might have gone anyway.

Mine was sorted under the trust building measure, no cost at all, for parts, labour or the diagnostic check (it’s now running ok, again).  However, I’d also had a quote from Halfords Autocentre for significantly less than £800 to £1000.

Under the trust building measure though, I now have an extended 2 year warranty on emissions related issues.  My dealer had the parts in so the car was off the road for 1 day....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just an update re my vehicle so the Skoda garage had my vehicle for just over a week and have replaced the EGR coolant unit . All I received was a standard letter absolving them of fault due to the emissions re map , they also stated anymore problems to bring it straight back and it would be repaired under the trust building measures.

The car is running fine at the moment and it hasn't cost me anything, there was also no quibbling over the issue and we had a brand new Yeti as a replacement so all in all an excellent result. 

Thanks for your help and support.