Simple DSG Fix

busdriver

I have had two Yetis to date over the last six years and have no complaints - bar one!  The present Yeti 150 SEL has the excellent six speed DSG which I find a pleasure, whether using it in automatic or semi-automatic mode.  It is very smooth, except when initially starting off, when it can jerk making you feel like an inexperienced driver who has yet to drive smoothly!  For me, it was a constant niggle, but using a fairy right foot pressure on the go pedal did improve things.  However, yesterday evening I read on an unrelated Forum that there is a simple fix.

Turn the ignition key was far as you can, but don't start the engine.  Press the accelerator pedal down to the floor and hold it down for 20 seconds, ensuring the pressure sensor is fully depressed.  Release the pedal.  Turn off the ignition.  Finally, start the car as normal.  Bingo - it worked for me.

Is this a known fix that I have missed on the Briskoda Forum?  I would welcome comments from DSG owners who have suffered this problem.

Happy New Year to you all. 

• Like 1

That linked thread is from 2012, so I woud be very suspicious that it works with the newer models.
I also note that one person says it does not reset anything, and that you need VCDS to do that properly.

Guest FurryFriend

I'm not going to try this, as our car is running just fine, but I just wonder how you can turn the ignition key as far as possible without it (obviously)  starting the engine?

Happy New Year. 

I have found these two methods:

"Recalibrating throttle pedal

With the ignition "off" press the throttle to the floor
-turn on the ignition and hold the throttle down for about 20 seconds
-turn the ignition back off and then lift off the throttle.

OR:

-switch the ignition to on, but don't fire the car up. Now prod the accelerator pedal all the way down and hold for 5 secs, then release for 5 secs. Fire the car up, and the throttle is apparently reset it's parameters."

I have used the first method on my Yeti 2012 and the previous Octavia 2009. Worked as described on both, it resets the learning function which reads your driving over some distance and makes some weird calculations to save fuel.

2 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

I'm not going to try this, as our car is running just fine, but I just wonder how you can turn the ignition key as far as possible without it (obviously)  starting the engine?

Happy New Year. 

Read it as "Ignition ON"

13 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

I just wonder how you can turn the ignition key as far as possible without it (obviously)  starting the engine

I don't say its correct but easy to do, just don't press the clutch or brake and it will not start if turned fully to the right.

Well, thanks for your comments guys.  Whatever you may think, it has worked for me.

I note a couple of you have picked me up on my advising that you should turn the ignition key as far as you can, but don't start the engine.  To be absolutely correct - turn the key to the point where the starter motor would engage and turn it no further.  The whole fix took less than a minute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That procedure is a throttlebody reset procedure and is common across multiple car brands.

I very much doubt it has any effect on the DSG system.

If it worked for you it suggests your "jerk" was cased by the TB rather than the gearbox.

• Like 1