Full Size Spare Wheel

I have a 2018 spec Superb SE hatchback which like many cars these days only comes with a can of squirty for fixing punctures.   I travel to and from France several times a year, usually on a Sunday when French tyre shops aren't open so I want a full size spare wheel that will do 600 miles at motorway speeds.

I know from other posts and when I had a Mk2 Superb that a full size steel wheel is available at a reasonable price but that comes with 90 kph max warning stickers. Although I am sure that dimension-wise it would be safe at motorway speeds an insurance company/police might not agree and I am concerned that bolts (why are Superb wheels attached with bolts rather than studs?) designed for alloys might not be fully compatible with steel.

My Superb has 17 inch Stratos wheels.  Skoda parts charge £346 for a Stratos wheel which is more than I want to pay for something that I hope I will rarely use.  So far I have had no luck in finding a used Stratos wheel so I am thinking of getting an aftermarket alloy rim for less than half the price that looks similar.  If the rim I choose has the same dimensions as the current wheels and is specified as being Skoda compatible would it be safe?

I think the Stratos wheel specifation is 17 x 7j with an offset of ET40.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct so I don't have to remove a wheel to see what is stamped inside?

Any suggestions re a supplier?

Thanks

I had this issue and decided to buy an identical Skoda supplied Pegasus alloy full size 18" wheel. After some research found that Skoda either supply a factory fit wheel (£382) or an identical wheel listed as a parts "spare" which through my main dealer was £186 all in and fitted. This is part number 3V0 071498H HA7 which is identical to the factory fit wheel but much much cheaper. They all told me they were on back on but took just a few days to arrive. The factory fit wheels, although identical, have a different number and there is no logic in the steep price difference.

I went for the full size identical wheel so I can rotate the spare and not worry about the speed and mileage restriction on steel space savers if caught out when driving to Spain.

It fits the wheel well easily but raises the carpet by approx 2.5 cm. Other have done the same and the topic is well covered in other threads.

Oddly information on these spares is hard to find in the UK but I found them listed in accessories catalogues on the French and Netherlands Skoda sites.

I found another part number for the Stratos: 3V0601025C.

As Montegue mentions, Skoda issue two part numbers for the same wheel, one for the factory and one for spare parts. The spare parts item is often considerably cheaper. Quite a few dealers either deliberately or accidentally quote for the factory replacement part at the higher price.

You should be able to pick up a brand new one from your local franchised dealer for less than £200. But you will need to add the cost of a tyre, the jack and wheel brace, getting you over £300.

I've run a genuine 16" steel spare wheel for several weeks at motorway speeds without issue. The speed limit applied to the wheel is purely a precaution due to the different sized wheel (compensated by a higher profile tyre) and different tyre tread pattern. They can be picked up online with a tyre, jack and brace for a little under £150.

The steel wheel is exactly the same as you'd see on cars leaving the factory without alloy wheels so they are more than capable.

IMG_3826.thumb.JPG.f197922d111dd4b7527c5375449e18aa.JPG

Thank you for such quick replies, this really is an excellent forum.

I have used the suggested part numbers to search the internet and have been able to confirm that the wheel dimensions are correct.  There are a number of different websites offering the correct wheel but all outside of the UK. So first I shall go to my local Skoda dealer with the part numbers to see if they will supply a wheel at the right price.

I already have all the kit necessary to change a wheel.

I fully agree with Silver1011 that an under size steel wheel with a higher profile tyre will perform perfectly well (subsequent internet research, shows a majority opinion that the original wheel bolts work fine with steel wheels) but if I have an accident whilst travelling at more than 90 kph with one fitted would my insurance provider try to use it as a way of wriggling out of the claim?

Would still like to know if anyone has experience of generic aftermarket wheels.

The "full size" spare in the superb iirc is 205 55 16 tyre. So not full size at all

I'm sure you are all aware that running two different size tyres / wheels on the same axle is illegal except when an odd size spare is used as an emergency get you home measure. Hence the speed restriction label on the spare wheel. If there was solid evidence you had an accident while exceeding this speed restriction it would almost cause you problems with insurance and plod, likewise if you didn't have the punctured original in the boot to show it was on for emergency use.

I would have willingly paid for a real full size alloy wheel/tyre when speccing. Interestingly that is an option on VW Passats which also have a deep enough footwell from what I've seen.

Edited by xman

17 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I found another part number for the Stratos: 3V0601025C.

As Montegue mentions, Skoda issue two part numbers for the same wheel, one for the factory and one for spare parts. The spare parts item is often considerably cheaper. Quite a few dealers either deliberately or accidentally quote for the factory replacement part at the higher price.

You should be able to pick up a brand new one from your local franchised dealer for less than £200. But you will need to add the cost of a tyre, the jack and wheel brace, getting you over £300.

I've run a genuine 16" steel spare wheel for several weeks at motorway speeds without issue. The speed limit applied to the wheel is purely a precaution due to the different sized wheel (compensated by a higher profile tyre) and different tyre tread pattern. They can be picked up online with a tyre, jack and brace for a little under £150.

The steel wheel is exactly the same as you'd see on cars leaving the factory without alloy wheels so they are more than capable.

IMG_3826.thumb.JPG.f197922d111dd4b7527c5375449e18aa.JPG

The space saver should be fitted to the REAR.  

As to running a miss-matched on the same axle wheel / tyre,  ie different weight / width / tread / compound, maybe even tyre pressure at higher speeds.

Surely there does not require to be a sticker to warn people to use your brain or the common sense you were born with.

(Stickers are there but not on all spare / temporary fit wheels for those that might require Guide Dogs for the stupid / dangerous.)

The UK / EU Laws / Regulations are often to lax with Grey Areas.

If something is good enough for Taxis and Public Vehicles then surely for other road users, and your nearsest and dearest.

(So often missed is that for decades now there are passenger cars that do not always have the same size tyres on the front and rear of cars.)

FAQs on the use of Spare Wheels and Tyres.pdf

Spare wheels _ AA.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, IJWS15 said:

The space saver should be fitted to the REAR.  

When it's dark, below freezing, raining / sleeting and you're close to a live lane of fast moving traffic with your family then trust me, the spare wheel directly replaces the punctured tyre and wheel, there is no way I'm changing two wheels unnecessarily.

Any minimal reduced risk of having the mismatched tyre on the rear will be mitigated by many other external and often uncontrollable factors, so much so Skoda also felt no reason to make mention of placing the spare on the rear only in the owners manual.

Edited by silver1011

11 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

When it's dark, below freezing, raining / sleeting and you're close to a live lane of fast moving traffic with your family then trust me, the spare wheel directly replaces the punctured tyre and wheel, there is no way I'm changing two wheels unnecessarily.

Any minimal reduced risk of having the mismatched tyre on the rear will be mitigated by many other external and often uncontrollable factors, so much so Skoda also felt no reason to make mention of placing the spare on the rear only in the owners manual.

One of the main reasons for putting the temporary spare on the rear is to avoid having 2 different diameter tyres on the front. This causes the diff to work extra hard and in some brand has been known to cause severe and expensive damage. You are probably OK if its local to use the spare on the front but if you are on a motorway etc get to a pace of safety and swap them round.

I have been considering swapping the Skoda supplied 205 55 16 for a 215 60 16 as fitted to the poverty models. Its virtually the same diameter and should fit in the wheel well fine.

I chose the identical skoda alloy as I felt that it would be a pain to be limited to 50mph or so for any long duration and on some motorways would probably feel quite dangerous given the speed  differential to the rest of the traffic. Having spent circa  £25,000 on the vehicle it seemed a good buy to fork out about  £80 extra  for an identical wheel (much better looking) thus avoiding any safety and practical issues and does not need to be immediately changed on arriving home! Elsewhere I have seen warnings not to use these wheels for more then a 50 mile distance but Skoda do not seem to include this advice, may be it is country specific. My Saab space savers always had such a mileage limit so there may be something in it but I always replaced with a genuine full size.

another downside of -5.3% diameter of stock 205/55r16 spare wheel is impossibility use the Cruise Control

have no idea can we insert 205/65r16,

which will be just 0.8% bigger than 215/55r17

and 0.7% smaller than 225/55r17

3 hours ago, Montegue said:

I chose the identical skoda alloy as I felt that it would be a pain to be limited to 50mph or so for any long duration and on some motorways would probably feel quite dangerous given the speed  differential to the rest of the traffic. Having spent circa  £25,000 on the vehicle it seemed a good buy to fork out about  £80 extra  for an identical wheel (much better looking) thus avoiding any safety and practical issues and does not need to be immediately changed on arriving home

You bought a genuine matching skoda alloy and tyre for £80??

Or was it £180? (£80 over cost of standard spare + jack)

A new full size 18" tyre alone (P7) is around £160+

Edited by xman

2 hours ago, Montegue said:

It's all in the thread if you read it.

I've read this thread several times and you are not clear. There is no link to another thread from you either. What you said was..

Skoda either supply a factory fit wheel (£382) or an identical wheel listed as a parts "spare" which through my main dealer was £186 all in and fitted.

The "all in and fitted" suggests the wheel had a tyre. (You cant fit a wheel without a tyre). Are you really suggesting you got a genuine new 18" pegasus alloy complete with 235 45 18 tyre (and what brand, e.g. pirelli P7) for £186 from your Skoda dealer?

I'm very, very interested because I really would like a spare matching alloy and tyre for my Superb when it arrives, especially at that price.

Edited by xman

• 3 weeks later...

I have sorted a spare wheel.  First I went to my local Skoda dealer with the parts numbers suggested by Montegue and Silver1011.  There I was told that the cheapest they could do a Stratos rim for was £365.  Next I went to the dealer in Redditch.  There the parts manager was quite surprised that the part numbers both referred to the same rim but one was priced at £360 and the other at £152 (the part number suggested by Montegue being the cheaper).   I have had a new Contipremium fitted to the rim to match the current tyres.

Does anybody know whether the spare wheel kit you can buy for the Octavia is the same as the one for the Superb?

Reason I ask is that I bought a spare for my Octy, which is being traded in for a Superb in March. If I can keep my spare and transfer over that would be great.

If not...well stuff Skoda.

12 hours ago, xman said:

From what I've seen, the superb has a heavier duty double sided scissor jack as opposed to the one sided, barely adequate octavia jack.

But is the wheel the same?