Full Size Spare Wheel

I posted the following on the general wheels & tyres thread but it might be of interest here as well:

A couple of months ago I bought a 2014 Superb to replace an ancient SEAT MPV which was going to be scrapped. I happened to notice that the spare wheels were identical. So I put both spares on to the MPV and kept a pair of alloys to use as winter wheels on the Superb (with the addition of  Skoda badges off E-bay!).

The SEAT alloys were identical to the equivalent Superb wheels in terms of bolt size and pattern, bore, etc with just a very slight difference in offset. There must be a lot of this sort of commonality across the VAG brands so it seems likely that a given wheel and tyre size on one brand would fit other brands.

Anyone looking for a full-size spare wheel & tyre - or a pair for winters - might want to get in touch with their local VAG dealers to see what they have picked up under their scrappage schemes. Hopefully they would be amenable to a wheel being swapped for the car's spare, perhaps with a contribution to the staff Christmas fund....

In my case the VW dealer taking the old MPV was totally unconcerned about the car arriving on two spares as it was going to be transported onwards for scrapping.

• 3 weeks later...

Not an answer to your question but might be useful for anyone else buying new. 

I have a 2018 se 1.4tsi. I specified a spare wheel at £100 On ordering.  

I fully expected  a space saver but was very happy to see a full size spare under the mat. Yes it is a steel  but I thought that good value (apart  from the fact  a spare should be standard in my opinion)

7 hours ago, magictongue said:

Not an answer to your question but might be useful for anyone else buying new. 

I have a 2018 se 1.4tsi. I specified a spare wheel at £100 On ordering.  

I fully expected  a space saver but was very happy to see a full size spare under the mat. Yes it is a steel  but I thought that good value (apart  from the fact  a spare should be standard in my opinion)

I would double check that, I believe the "full size" spare is 215 60 16. Your SE will have 215 55 17 tyres. 

15 hours ago, xman said:

I would double check that, I believe the "full size" spare is 215 60 16. Your SE will have 215 55 17 tyres. 

6 hours ago, xman said:

The spare is the same size as on the basic S trim.

The "temporary" spare on a SE with 17" wheels is a 16" steel wheel with a 205 55 16 tyre fitted. That means it has a smaller circumference than the 215 55 17 tyres fitted on the car.

The basic "S" has 215 60 16 tyres which are with a couple of mm the same circumference as the 17" tyres.

Why they do not fit that size on the spare is beyond me. It will fit in the wheels well fine. Been tempted to get one fitted to my spare and flog the tyre that was fitted by Skoda.

• Thanks 1

:thumbup: Thanks for the correction. No logic behind this and doesn't make sense apart from maybe they are cheap or leftovers from superb ii. DIL has a zafira which uses this size, maybe when she needs a new tyre, I'll swap it out for something more sensible.

Edited by xman

6 minutes ago, xman said:

:thumbup: Thanks for the correction. No logic behind this and doesn't make sense apart from maybe they are cheap or leftovers from superb ii. DIL has a zafira which uses this size, maybe when she needs a new tyre, I'll swap it out for something more sensible.

The 205 55 16 in my boot was not cheap, its a Continental which are about the most expensive in this size.

The Octavia uses this size on SE spec cars so no need to put them in Superb boots as leftovers.

Using it on the wifes car is your best option, the cheapest 215 60 16 will do the job as a spare.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 18:37, skidpan said:

The basic "S" has 215 60 16 tyres which are with a couple of mm the same circumference as the 17" tyres.

Why they do not fit that size on the spare is beyond me.

anyway it will be -3.7% to 225/55r17

and -2.3% compared to 215/55r17

On 1/3/2018 at 14:28, MartiniB said:

another downside of -5.3% diameter of stock 205/55r16 spare wheel is impossibility use the Cruise Control

have no idea can we insert 205/65r16,

which will be just 0.8% bigger than 215/55r17

and 0.7% smaller than 225/55r17

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

A 215 60 16 has a circumference of 2088.114 mm.

A 215 55 17 has a circumference of 2100.371 mm.

The difference is 0.58% and not the 2.3% above.

And to correct myself, when I said a couple of mm difference in circumference in my previous post I actually meant radius to point out how much the car would be theoretically lower on that corner. 2 mm is less than a bit of tyre wear.

1 hour ago, skidpan said:

The difference is 0.58% and not the 2.3% above.

ups, that were counted from 205/60r16

well, then all together

stock - 205/55r16 is

-5.3% to 215/55r17

-6.7% to 225/55r17

unconfirmed is there enough space

variant 1 - 205/65r16

+0.8% to 215/55r17

-0.7% to 225/55r17

variant 2 - 215/60r16

-0.4% to 215/55r17

-1.9% to 225/55r17

7 hours ago, 4StringBass said:

If the standard 'wrong' size spare tyre is swapped for a 215/60/16 with the correct speed and load rating, can it be used as a proper full speed wheel?

Even if the wheels and tyres on the car are the same size, if the spare is made of a different material it still needs to be driven at restricted speed. Obviously if the standard wheels are a different diameter regardless of material the speed restriction applies even if the overall circumference is the same.

Personally I would rather have 4 wheels on the car that are the same circumference even if I am still speed restricted. Driving a long distance with the spare on with the car fully loaded and at an angle is not a good idea surely. That is why I plan to replace my 205 55 16 spare with a 215 60 16 when I get round to it.

Imo if both the wheels and tyres on the same axle are the same size, speed rating and wheels have the same offset (ET) then I think it's perfectly safe. Doesn't matter that one side is alloy and the other steel. However if the steel has a speed warning label stuck to it, I think plod and the insurance company would regard that as important.

5 hours ago, skidpan said:

Even if the wheels and tyres on the car are the same size, if the spare is made of a different material it still needs to be driven at restricted speed. Obviously if the standard wheels are a different diameter regardless of material the speed restriction applies even if the overall circumference is the same.

Personally I would rather have 4 wheels on the car that are the same circumference even if I am still speed restricted. Driving a long distance with the spare on with the car fully loaded and at an angle is not a good idea surely. That is why I plan to replace my 205 55 16 spare with a 215 60 16 when I get round to it.

Cheers :)  I think I will do similar.  Don't want to have to limp it back from France to Scotland and a jonty angle should I get a puncture.

On 14/02/2018 at 13:36, Rifleman said:

Pegasus for Superb MkIII L&K found here, £181 plus £12p&p

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/superb-alloy-wheel-pegasus-2016-2020-51177

Thanks for that link, exactly what I was trying to find :thumbup:  Driving to French Alps in a few weeks time, not doing 900+ miles each way with a space saver spare. 

However, has anybody actually put a full size 18” spare in the wheel well? I did a trial fit the other day, it was rather tight :wacko:

I found that the tyre was right up against the lip on the plastic trim along the rear edge of the load area (estate) on which the boot carpet rests, making me think I might need to trim the lip a bit. And it looked like the wheel would still be slightly proud of the wheel well so the carpet won’t be flat (I’m not too bothered about this as it’ll be under the variable boot floor). I didn’t get chance to try putting the tool kit into the 18” wheel. 

Cheers,

Ivan. 

• 1 month later...
On 17/02/2018 at 12:45, Ivan8192 said:

However, has anybody actually put a full size 18” spare in the wheel well? I did a trial fit the other day, it was rather tight :wacko:

In case you’re interested in doing this, here’s a picture with an 18” Pegasus in the wheel well. I ended up using a Dremel to take about 8mm off the angled parts of the plastic trim at the rear where it meets the wheel. That made it drop into the wheel well easier.

It does sit proud of the wheel well though, probably by about 20mm. Not too much of a problem, the lower boot mat flexes over it and I’ve got the variable boot floor above it anyway.

Oh, and the dense polystyrene tool store won’t fit into the wheel so tools need to be put in a bag or something to stop them rattling (much more space for carrying more crap though :D)

Ivan. 

CC71599D-2CD0-4348-9457-12506D665765.jpeg

• Thanks 1

replaced stock 205/55r16 by full diameter 205/65r16
weren't easy put it in cause back side plastic

diameter comparison to 215/55r17 and 225/55r17:
205/55r16 _ -5.3% _ -6.7%, this huge size difference cancels usage of cruise control
205/65r16 _ +0.8% _ -0.7%, not tested yet

20180410_164039_25p.thumb.jpg.85e375e978ca59be8892965870e41b91.jpg

Edited by MartiniB

On 14/04/2018 at 06:09, MartiniB said:

replaced stock 205/55r16 by full diameter 205/65r16
weren't easy put it in cause back side plastic

That is because the 205 65 16 is the wrong size. The "S" model which is fitted with 16" wheels comes with 215 60 16 have a diameter of 664mm, the one that you have fitted, the 205 65 16, has a diameter 673mm, that is 9mm more which could easily foul on the plastic parts.

The standard 17" tyre, the 215 55 17 has a diameter of 668mm, between the 2 above but closer to the correct 215 60 16.

@skidpan

you are writing just to write something?
the trunk bay doesn't have enough space for wider than 205 tires
also metallic disc maybe doesn't accept wider

215/60r16 _ -0.4% _ -1.9%, and this looks better?!?!
than

On 4/14/2018 at 08:09, MartiniB said:

205/55r16 _ -5.3% _ -6.7%, this huge size difference cancels usage of cruise control
205/65r16 _ +0.8% _ -0.7%, not tested yet

7 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@skidpan

you are writing just to write something?

You do not read what other say.

The 215 60 16 will fit the car because its a Skoda standard fit.

If the 205 65 just fits in the boot the smaller (diameter) 215 will easilly fit. As for width our 205 has packing on the top to raise the level and support the boot floor, this may need trimming to allow the floor to fit level with a 215.

The 215 55 17 must fit in the wheel well (and that is bigger than a 215 60 16), if it didn't where would you put it if you had to fit the spare?

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me which would be the best fitment for Superb Combi 280ps?

I understand that because of the bigger front brake disks, you can only fit an 18 inch wheel. I asked my local dealer and he told me you cannot fit a spare tyre on this car, so the solution remains the emergency kit...

@Max99 Welcome.

Why not take one of the wheels off the car and try it in the spare tyre well and see if it fits.

After all if you had a spare and a full car and boot the punctured tyre on the wheel needs to get carried someplace and the spare tyre well is the correct place fore them.

Because the wheels are 19 inch... I was just wondering if there is an OEM solution to this... On Superskoda you can find a kit, but without the wheel...