Rapid 1.2 TSI -2015

Hi.

I know this has been discussed a lot, but many of the threads are quite old and there should be some new information available.
I am looking to buy a used Rapid 1.2 TSI from 2015. It has about 35000 km on it, and it has had only one service. I think the serviceinterval in Sweden
for this car is only every 30.000 km.
Actually, it says manufacture year: 2014 and model year: 2015.
The ad is here: https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Skoda_Rapid_SPB_Elegance_TSi_105_V_hjul_12_Ma_75920563.htm?ca=11&w=1
I still haven't found out from the dealer if it has a timing belt or a timing chain. After reading several warnings on the internet I am worried if it has a timing chain. So I have some questions;

1. Does it have a timing belt or a timing chain?
2. Was the problems with failing timing chains on these engines ever solved, or did they just give up when they switched to using timing belts?
3. How worried should I be? The car is 3 years old so the original warranty has expired, but I will receive an additional year warranty from the Skoda dealer if I buy it.
4. If you guys consider the the timing chain problems not that severe that I should skip out on this car, would you recommend me to change the oil and filter myself between every Skoda service?
5. I live in Sweden (Stockholm) so we do have cold weather in the winters. Yes, there will be cold starts. But with not so heavy gas pedal.
6. Any things to watch out for? I testdrived it and it seemed nice enough. The only thing I notised was that all four break calipers (is that the right word?) looked kind of old. But the dealer told me that this is normal and its because of the chemicals they use when cleaning the wheels. The car has also been sitting for a few months at the dealer.

The chain motor issues with the 1.2 were long ago, even before the Rapid was in production. The 16V belt drive did not enter Rapids until mid 2015.

1.2 owners on here think an oil change every 15000km is good for the Turbo, rather than every 30000km.

Edited by camelspyyder

17 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

The chain motor issues with the 1.2 were long ago, even before the Rapid was in production. The 16V belt drive did not enter Rapids until mid 2015.

1.2 owners on here think an oil change every 15000km is good for the Turbo, rather than every 30000km.

Hi.
So you are saying that all VAG engines with timing belt are OK from the last years?

I never owned the 2015+ belt drive 16v. I had the 2014 chain drive 8v. I have no personal experience of the belt motor.

Sorry I saw your edit. There were Service campaigns ( recalls ) on the 1.2 TSi up till about 2012. Since then it's supposed to be ok. However my particulat 2014 had a rare turbo related fault that was supposed to have been cured by the earlier service campaign and redesign on the newer ones. If the car has a warranty its no problem.  The main issue online seems to be timing chains which I don't believe has occurred on the post 2012 motors.

Edited by camelspyyder

On 05/01/2018 at 22:07, pacmyc said:

Hi.

I know this has been discussed a lot, but many of the threads are quite old and there should be some new information available.
I am looking to buy a used Rapid 1.2 TSI from 2015. It has about 35000 km on it, and it has had only one service. I think the serviceinterval in Sweden
for this car is only every 30.000 km.
Actually, it says manufacture year: 2014 and model year: 2015.
The ad is here: https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Skoda_Rapid_SPB_Elegance_TSi_105_V_hjul_12_Ma_75920563.htm?ca=11&w=1
I still haven't found out from the dealer if it has a timing belt or a timing chain. After reading several warnings on the internet I am worried if it has a timing chain. So I have some questions;

1. Does it have a timing belt or a timing chain?
2. Was the problems with failing timing chains on these engines ever solved, or did they just give up when they switched to using timing belts?
3. How worried should I be? The car is 3 years old so the original warranty has expired, but I will receive an additional year warranty from the Skoda dealer if I buy it.
4. If you guys consider the the timing chain problems not that severe that I should skip out on this car, would you recommend me to change the oil and filter myself between every Skoda service?
5. I live in Sweden (Stockholm) so we do have cold weather in the winters. Yes, there will be cold starts. But with not so heavy gas pedal.
6. Any things to watch out for? I testdrived it and it seemed nice enough. The only thing I notised was that all four break calipers (is that the right word?) looked kind of old. But the dealer told me that this is normal and its because of the chemicals they use when cleaning the wheels. The car has also been sitting for a few months at the dealer.

Hi I just bought a car with the 1.2tsi 105 engine fitted , 2015 model - I have already done  a massive intel excercise/ search  on that particular  engine for the same reasons you are.

My findings were that the  earlier engines up until 2010 had the   high fault incidents - indeed  so high that VAG changed the timing chain design in 2011- then again in 2013 they changed the engine design slightly to allow better oil flow - (increased bore oil galleries) they also introduced a further modification to timing chain design at the same time in 2013 on these engines.

The acid test is to open the bonnet and start engine from stone cold - there should be no rattle, with this improved engine design , also there is a non return in the oil pump to stop oil filter from draining down from oil filter at the top of the engine - which was the source of initial start oil starvation to the camchain.

I think you will find the engine code on that build is a  CBZA engine ? which is the redesigned model of chain driven cam engine.

I will dig out some of the information if I can find it - but basically the later improved  engines (2013 onward) were fine.

Hope this allays some of your fears -

PS The rust on the calipers on the disc facings  can occur within 2 weeks on a standing vehicle- as long as it stops in a straight line - (apply brakes whilst driving in a straight line with your hands very loosely holding steering wheel to see if it "grabs" one sided- then the brakes will bed in and wipe the rust off with the linings friction during the normal braking cycle.

I

Here is the  VAG TPI FROM 2012  (CONCERNING  EARLIER ENGINES) ps my engine is a CBZB engine- if you look under the carpet in the boot you should see the engine size -eg 77kw - CBZB which is what mine is .

Also interesting video  the contents of engine improvements cam chain modifications  have been verified on other sites too.

TPI_2026513-5 - Engine rattling noises from engine compartment when starting engine (ENG).pdf

I had this exact version of the Rapid and mine was flawless. I'm a driver rather than someone who just wants to go from A to B and if you drive the car it really is a lot of fun. It handles a lot better than you'd imagine even with the 15" wheels mine had

6 hours ago, johnny cabbage head said:

Hi I just bought a car with the 1.2tsi 105 engine fitted , 2015 model - I have already done  a massive intel excercise/ search  on that particular  engine for the same reasons you are.

My findings were that the  earlier engines up until 2010 had the   high fault incidents - indeed  so high that VAG changed the timing chain design in 2011- then again in 2013 they changed the engine design slightly to allow better oil flow - (increased bore oil galleries) they also introduced a further modification to timing chain design at the same time in 2013 on these engines.

The acid test is to open the bonnet and start engine from stone cold - there should be no rattle, with this improved engine design , also there is a non return in the oil pump to stop oil filter from draining down from oil filter at the top of the engine - which was the source of initial start oil starvation to the camchain.

I think you will find the engine code on that build is a  CBZA engine ? which is the redesigned model of chain driven cam engine.

I will dig out some of the information if I can find it - but basically the later improved  engines (2013 onward) were fine.

Hope this allays some of your fears -

PS The rust on the calipers on the disc facings  can occur within 2 weeks on a standing vehicle- as long as it stops in a straight line - (apply brakes whilst driving in a straight line with your hands very loosely holding steering wheel to see if it "grabs" one sided- then the brakes will bed in and wipe the rust off with the linings friction during the normal braking cycle.

I

Thanks for your reply.
I didn't mean the rust on the brake discs, I know that is normal, but the calipers look kind of corroded or something as well. I have attached two pics.
Have you also done a lot of reading on the safety of this car? Everything looks OK but the whiplash protection seems to be worse than in any other recent Skoda model.

IMG_20171230_121140.jpg

IMG_20171230_121153.jpg

Edited by pacmyc

17 hours ago, pacmyc said:

Thanks for your reply.
I didn't mean the rust on the brake discs, I know that is normal, but the calipers look kind of corroded or something as well. I have attached two pics.
Have you also done a lot of reading on the safety of this car? Everything looks OK but the whiplash protection seems to be worse than in any other recent Skoda model.

IMG_20171230_121140.jpg

IMG_20171230_121153.jpg

I see what your concerns are now , regarding the brake calipers - they do look very corroded for a standing vehicle ! I would ask to see the underside of the vehicle umder a ramp, and ask has the car been subjected to water immersion, as I have only ever seen that much corrosion on something that has been really exposed to the elements, looks like its been standing in a field doesnt it or left with the wheels off somewhere ?

The safety of these cars as Camelspyder said, is  very good,  See  this NCAP link  for a 2012 model - improved slightly since then I beleive https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/skoda/rapid/10948