Considering a 245

Hi all. I’ve posted the same on the Superb forum but thinking the Octy might be a little bit more sporty option wise. i currently run an Alfa 159 TI Sportwagon which a great looking car but it’s now 7 years old and I need a replacement performance estate that works with 2 boys under 9 and golf clubs. I like something different and before Alfa’s I had time with Seat Cupras and a Golf R32 mk5 so have experienced the VW brand and the TFSI engine with a Revo fettle. Was considering a vRS 245 Octavia and like the look of a moon white one or a Seat Leon Cupra 300 4WD. I’ve done the Seat thing before and think with a good LSD the vRS would be good for a daily drive?  Can anyone tell me what the handling is like and  (10k miles per year max) what these are like to live with?

cheers,

iain

Having owned several Alfa’s and been a massive fan of them it’s a shame they don’t offer the Gulia in an estate, anyway I’ve ordered a vrs 245 I’ve never drove one though (I test drove the 230). I had the same dilemma it was between a cupra 300 or the Skoda and for me I wanted a more discreet drive whilst been fun at the same time so the 245 ticked the boxes for me.

I occasionally lend my brothers 159 estate 1.9 (I’ve only got a mini at the moment) and in terms of space,power and handling it trumps it in every department.

10 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

245 currently unavailable to order - were you looking at new or used?

I noticed it was missing on the configuration tool. Have they stopped making them or is it just a temporary removal?

20 minutes ago, jamiemad said:

I noticed it was missing on the configuration tool. Have they stopped making them or is it just a temporary removal?

Long thread here, info re delays etc starts about page 50 IIRC:

TL;DR - Basically they have suspended production for now, unconfirmed whether they will restart. 

VW have just done similar with the Golf GTE, supposedly to ease factory bottlenecks and prevent unfeasible delivery waiting times.

51 minutes ago, Cm11 said:

Having owned several Alfa’s and been a massive fan of them it’s a shame they don’t offer the Gulia in an estate, anyway I’ve ordered a vrs 245 I’ve never drove one though (I test drove the 230). I had the same dilemma it was between a cupra 300 or the Skoda and for me I wanted a more discreet drive whilst been fun at the same time so the 245 ticked the boxes for me.

I occasionally lend my brothers 159 estate 1.9 (I’ve only got a mini at the moment) and in terms of space,power and handling it trumps it in every department.

Thanks for your thoughts and yes it’s a shame as the Giulia saloon is superb. I have got a GT V6 3.2 that I intend to keep long term so can still keep my hand in the Alfa stable ;) it sounds like a nearly new one may be a good shout then. My 159 wagonis a nice spec but I bought it with 106k on the clock (now 112k). They are rare but I reckon I’ll get about 4-5k for it. Repayments have to be under 300 quid a month. Hoping to get something good over 60 months with a 6k deposit

9 hours ago, Robbo2006 said:

Thanks for your thoughts and yes it’s a shame as the Giulia saloon is superb. I have got a GT V6 3.2 that I intend to keep long term so can still keep my hand in the Alfa stable ;) it sounds like a nearly new one may be a good shout then. My 159 wagonis a nice spec but I bought it with 106k on the clock (now 112k). They are rare but I reckon I’ll get about 4-5k for it. Repayments have to be under 300 quid a month. Hoping to get something good over 60 months with a 6k deposit

I think you might struggle with those numbers at the moment, £22k seems like the going rate for a 2nd hand vrs 245. I’ve seen some good deals leasing a 230 vrs. If leasing is an option a Golf R Estate can be had for under £300 per month with around £2k deposit.

edit I love the busso engine what a masterpiece  

Edited by Cm11

@Robbo2006, myself coming from 159 to Octy RS, you won't regret. You don't need an estate, unless you really want it, hatch has bigger trunk space then estate 159 and a lot, I mean A LOT, more space on the back seat for the kids. 

Current and ex:

36936743595_dfbb20dff1_b.jpg

159 is a non repeatable car, but it's old, leave it in the history and move forward. I loved its steering wheel and rigidity, but RS comes close. The switch will be smooth, steering is very similar lock-to-lock, VAQ and DCC give this chassis a touch of magic. You will never look back.

Go for it if it's feasible, some say orders for RS245 are stopped. 

• Like 1

As above, 245 you can't order new any more, so used (or look at a pre-facelift mk3 "230" model like mine which also has the diff.

I looked at alfas before i got my vRS - the skoda is a much better car IMO/  Alfa is a very lovely thing to look at, but to drive and live with the vRS is a much better proposition.  I have two kids under 10 also and its a great family wagon whilst also being fun (ish) when i'm on my own.  If handling is your thing, then these can be transformed with simple suspension tweaks.

1 hour ago, rob_e said:

As above, 245 you can't order new any more, so used (or look at a pre-facelift mk3 "230" model like mine which also has the diff.

I looked at alfas before i got my vRS - the skoda is a much better car IMO/  Alfa is a very lovely thing to look at, but to drive and live with the vRS is a much better proposition.  I have two kids under 10 also and its a great family wagon whilst also being fun (ish) when i'm on my own.  If handling is your thing, then these can be transformed with simple suspension tweaks.

You forgot to mention it has to be Meteor Grey, like yours    :nod:     and mine     :nod:

• Like 1

Ok boys I appreciate your comments here. It’s luring me in a little more as this  should be my next wagon of choicevwith a touch of performance. Yes I do love the way the Ti Wagons look- I’ve had 2 now- a 1750 TBi and now a 2 litre oil burner. The Busso is staying for sure (its garaged in the winter to keep it out of the cold) so want a petrol estate with a bit of poke. Have considered a Volvo V60 Polestar (I test drive one and it’s quick) but it’s 500 on road tax which, with the GT would be quite a hefty extra outlay for something to drive mostly at weekends. So back to the Octy, if I can’t get a 245, would a 230 work well either as standard or with a cheeky slice of Revo Tecknik stage 1 mapping? Meteor (undercoat Grey) or Moon White would be my choice.

Thanks!

iain

18 hours ago, Robbo2006 said:

Ok boys I appreciate your comments here. It’s luring me in a little more as this  should be my next wagon of choicevwith a touch of performance. Yes I do love the way the Ti Wagons look- I’ve had 2 now- a 1750 TBi and now a 2 litre oil burner. The Busso is staying for sure (its garaged in the winter to keep it out of the cold) so want a petrol estate with a bit of poke. Have considered a Volvo V60 Polestar (I test drive one and it’s quick) but it’s 500 on road tax which, with the GT would be quite a hefty extra outlay for something to drive mostly at weekends. So back to the Octy, if I can’t get a 245, would a 230 work well either as standard or with a cheeky slice of Revo Tecknik stage 1 mapping? Meteor (undercoat Grey) or Moon White would be my choice.

Thanks!

iain

I've mapped previous vRS's but my 230 is bone stock - it's much quicker that you think it'll be.  If you want to, then yes they map extremely well but tbh i've not found the performance lacking :)

I'm trying my best to NOT mod this car (given how much i've dropped on previous vehicles) but if i *was* going to change anything on my 230, i'd go for some H&R stiffer anti roll bars, light wheels and some better dampers, maybe H&R monotubes.   Even with a stock map that would make a 230 into a real cross country weapon IMHO.. :)

And yes, shiny primer is THE BEST colour for a 230!

• Like 1

Cupra is fastest car mentioned here so far. If you like it, go for it. You get VAQ, don't forget to configure DCC plus whatever you also prefer.

I think it is much more expensive then Škoda.

1 hour ago, nidza said:

If Alfa was enough, ST will be just fine.

Fair point, I hadn't realised the 159 has such a tiny load area. I guess @Cm11 is comparing  it to a Mini.  Like him I'm disappointed that the Guilia hasn't got an estate version, I would have been tempted. Likewise the Jag XE.  The SUVs they've made to fill those roles just don't do it for me.      

Edited by juan27
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Fair point, I hadn't realised the 159 has such a tiny load area. I guess @Cm11 is comparing  it to a Mini.  Like him I'm disappointed that the Guilia hasn't got an estate version, I would have been tempted. Likewise the Jag XE.  The SUV's they've made to fill those roles just don't do it for me.      

Yes im in about my mini, the 159 has loads of room in the back, if you can’t acquire a 245 and you’re partial to jag I’ve seen some cracking lease deals on the petrol xf  

6 minutes ago, Cm11 said:

Yes im in about my mini, the 159 has loads of room in the back, if you can’t acquire a 245 and you’re partial to jag I’ve seen some cracking lease deals on the petrol xf  

I've already got a 245, but thanks for the tip. 

On 07/01/2018 at 20:24, pist0nbr0ke said:

Long thread here, info re delays etc starts about page 50 IIRC:

TL;DR - Basically they have suspended production for now, unconfirmed whether they will restart. 

VW have just done similar with the Golf GTE, supposedly to ease factory bottlenecks and prevent unfeasible delivery waiting times.

Cheers for the info. Suspect it might be down to a lot of great lease deals about before Christmas.

Thanks guys. Yes I think a 230 or 245 would be good. I’ve had one FR and a Cupra K1 Revo before so have done the Seat thing and want a bit of a sleeper wagon this time that looks quite cool with a quick turn of speed when you ant it. As mentioned I do like the V60 Polestar option but it’s a 500 quid tax option which is a bit over the top for a family wagon at this point for me. I also think the Skoda boot size is almost unrivalled?! 

48 minutes ago, Robbo2006 said:

Thanks guys. Yes I think a 230 or 245 would be good. I’ve had one FR and a Cupra K1 Revo before so have done the Seat thing and want a bit of a sleeper wagon this time that looks quite cool with a quick turn of speed when you ant it. As mentioned I do like the V60 Polestar option but it’s a 500 quid tax option which is a bit over the top for a family wagon at this point for me. I also think the Skoda boot size is almost unrivalled?! 

An Octavia VRS isn't really in the same league as a V60 Polestar. The V60 is more of an M3/S4 kind of level alternative. A considerable step up in purchase price and running costs (of which tax is only one) over the Octavia VRS. Very nice though indeed...