One small step.....

Finally the Pioneer :speaker: TSG 1746 + TSG 1316 arrived from MCS after three weeks. :D

So braving the sound of Baghdad all across the neighbourhood I retired to the garage to fit the fronts and as promised it was so very easy. Took no more than half an hour with screwdriver, cutters and some crimps. Sounds great but I'm wondering if I should have disconnected the tweeters by the mirrors as it all seemed a bit bright until I notched up the bass to +3 or +6. People seem to have mostly left them connected, looking through the speaker threads in the forum. Having thundered up the road :drive: with the late great Joe Strummer blasting away, I'm pretty happy with the first mod I've ever done to any car (excluding the time I drove my Audi into a van and changed the front a fair bit!)

Tomorrow, time allowing, I'll try the rears which look a whole different kettle of fish. I'm not a trailblazer I know but thanks to those who were, it was a great help.

Still negotiating :argue: the head unit but if you marry an auditor the devil is in the detail.

I never learn with the Internet, :stupid: the people who have stuff cheap never have stock. I was just about to cancel when my patience was rewarded.

How's that LA72 sounding the double Aux in it make quite attractive - the Alpine's are very poor in that regard.

. Do MP3's sound OK on it?

Sounds great but I'm wondering if I should have disconnected the tweeters by the mirrors as it all seemed a bit bright until I notched up the bass to +3 or +6.

Once you've got a decent HU in the inability of the tweeters will be shown - at this point you'll probably remove them, and it only takes about 30 seconds to do both...

Rob.

I'm not familiar with the speakers you've fitted but I assume they're two-way. Disconnecting the stock tweeters will make it sound a bit 'wierd' at first mainly because sound is coming from a different place, if that makes sense. The improvement is well worth it though. Sorry to hear about the rear speaker episode though.

All you've got to do now is fit the rears, disconnect the rear tweeters, get a new H/U (mp3) and cut a couple of small holes in the lining behind the fronts. Many happy hours ahead either sitting in the boot or burning mp3 cd's!

I've still got the front tweeters connected but disconnected the rear ones and everything sounds fine.

I have the LA72 and Infinity 652is in the front and standard rears. For the majority of the time the sound is good but for more dance orientated music or much higher volumes the rears do distort. Will be changing to 6x9s at some point. I'm running with the system slightly baised towards to rear and quite suprised at how much the standard rear speakers can handle.

MP3 playback is good but I find that you have to be careful with the the encoder you use. The standard Real Player supplied one is crap. I use Power Db (I think that's what it's called anyway).

Went out this morning and found some Pioneer 467's that would fit. Dashed home and with my new found expertise at getting the rear trim off had it all done in an hour. Sounds great having removed all the tweeters i might reclip the fronts back to see what it sounds like. I can really push the volume now with out hurting my ears. :smile-l:

Went out this morning and found some Pioneer 467's that would fit. Dashed home and with my new found expertise at getting the rear trim off had it all done in an hour. Sounds great having removed all the tweeters i might reclip the fronts back to see what it sounds like. I can really push the volume now with out hurting my ears. :smile-l:

Was that the TS-H467 ? The Pioneer Web site didn't list them as a fit for a Skoda, but I couldn't see any reason they wouldn't.

Yes those are the ones. From the pic it looks like they might not be flush mount but they are and fit fine.

Put the front tweeters back in this evening but at low volumes there's too much "tsk tsk" going on and its harsh at high volumes. I'm going to the remove all tweeters as i prefer the bassy solid sound. From a purist point of view i think maybe they should be there but in the end its the sound you prefer that counts.

Component speakers might be the answer but not too many seem to have taken this route.

Cheers... I'm am still undecided between Kenwood PSR467Cs for 110 Euros or the Pioneer 467s for 80 Euros. I have a some Pioneer TS-1785s ordered for the fronts, hopefully they arrive soon. This set has seperate tweets so the plan is to elimate all stock speakers in the front doors.

Today I took care of some of the freebe stuff... opened up the water protection on the fronts and disconnected the rear tweets. I cut the felt off the drivers site rear speaker trim/cover, but it was such a pain that I will wait till I have new rear speakers to open up the right side. Overall the left side went OK, but finding some of the screws was a pain and I dropped the forward most "hidden" screw into the body... :( There just happens to be a convienent hole under the screw so take care. In the end everything went back together and I found a replacement screw in a hardware store. Only long term issue is the trim with the boot light doesn't fit so snugg as the right side now... guess I "bent" it :rolleyes:

I couldn't find any Kenwood's locally so I went for the Pioneers. Didn't see those 1785's until I'd already ordered the 1746's and wasn't so confident about fitting tweeters then. Now I've ripped the insides in and out a few times I'd probably have ago. Let me know if they go in all right and if it sounds better than the stock ones.

Glad someone else lost a screw I had to take the passenger rear trim off again to find the one I'd dropped nestling in a cable. It was only the fourth time I put the trim back on that I fully sussed the correct fitting so one side is not back on perfectly but I'll live with for the moment.

I don't how many times that plastic can be taken in and out before its knackered so I'm undecided about weather to get a professional to fit the head unit and changer next year. Its so much cheaper if you buy on the net and do these things yourself even if at times it drives you nuts.

Good luck with the speakers. :wave:

Cheers... I'm am still undecided between Kenwood PSR467Cs for 110 Euros or the Pioneer 467s for 80 Euros. I have a some Pioneer TS-1785s ordered for the fronts' date=' hopefully they arrive soon. This set has seperate tweets so the plan is to elimate all stock speakers in the front doors.

Today I took care of some of the freebe stuff... opened up the water protection on the fronts and disconnected the rear tweets. I cut the felt off the drivers site rear speaker trim/cover, but it was such a pain that I will wait till I have new rear speakers to open up the right side. Overall the left side went OK, but finding some of the screws was a pain and I dropped the forward most "hidden" screw into the body... :( There just happens to be a convienent hole under the screw so take care. In the end everything went back together and I found a replacement screw in a hardware store. Only long term issue is the trim with the boot light doesn't fit so snugg as the right side now... guess I "bent" it :rolleyes:[/quote']

Welcome to Briskoda, AR4X4! Yes, the screws for the rear speakers are in some infeasible places (the inner ones). I'm sure when they're putting them together at the factory they must attach the speaker to the trim and then attach the trim to the car. :rolleyes: