scrap or sell superb mk1

mjin

Happy New Year to all. 

I came back from my holiday and wasn't surprised that my superb can't start once again.

Before this incident, I've spent more than I had believed a skoda should require during its lifespan. Many visits to garages were battery related.

The main deal breaker here is that rear right door is disconnected from the control, because a technician believed that the door lock was faulty and draining the battery.

I really don't think I can afford to look after this babe.

06 plate, 83000 on the clock, with only 3 doors functional, could I have you guys' opinion as to how you would handle this?

If I sell it, what's the asking price?

If I scrap it, is there any government scheme (not the scrappage purchase scheme)?

Thanks a lot!

Most battery drains, are due to faulty interior/boot light switches or dimmers.   Turn them off or disconnect manually

If a door wont open, I think it is a MOT failure (rescuers have to be able to open door in event of accident)

You didn't mention spec level or engine, so I doubt anyone can value it without that.  (is it 2.5tdi as per your signature)  

If you part exchange it, will almost certainly be asked if everything is working or if there are any current faults, obviously if you lie, could be sued.   Dealer will reduce offer by cost of fixing it unless it is being scrapped

You could sell it (stating faults), anything from advertising in local paper, parking it on street with for sale notice in window, to a used car website.    The used car buying companies will only offer a token price if they don't want it.

My guess is if you switch off all interior lights (including, boot and glovebox), switch off everything eg radio,  and if that stops the battery draining, and it is then working, keep it for a while.  But obviously a 11 year old car will get other faults / failures over time, but at some point the cost of repairs will exceed any residual value and will become madness to throw more money at it.   If it is already turning into a money pit, or you are aware of other parts that are noisy and likely to need replacement soon, then don't waste more money on it.    The higher the spec, the more there is to go wrong.  as an example manually wound windows don't normally break, but window motors fail.    

Remember there are about 7000 new cars every day on UK roads (2.55m in a year), nearly every one of those leads to a part exchange, work through the replacement chain, about 6000-7000 per day can be expected to go for scrap.

Could be water ingress. Check for a damp floor. Lots of threads in the Superb section. 

Depending on model/engine it's probably worth sticking on eBay if you don't want to keep it. It's not "that" old to be honest. 

Seemingly a Skoda Enthusiast Forum can be a good place to sell things and those on there might know what it is being advertised,

trusted seller and trusted buyers that are not back moaning you sold something that needed work doing.

I hear BRISKODA has such a Cars For Sale Section,.  maybe worth checking out, maybe an advert to sound them out.

Edited by AwaoffSki

7 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Most battery drains, are due to faulty interior/boot light switches or dimmers.   Turn them off or disconnect manually

If a door wont open, I think it is a MOT failure (rescuers have to be able to open door in event of accident)

This is the main reason that leaves me no option. They can't determine the cause or fix it. Disconnection with the central control appears to fix the battery drain, but like you said, there could be other switches/controls draining it.

You didn't mention spec level or engine, so I doubt anyone can value it without that.  (is it 2.5tdi as per your signature)  

It's 2.5tdi automatic. 

If you part exchange it, will almost certainly be asked if everything is working or if there are any current faults, obviously if you lie, could be sued.   Dealer will reduce offer by cost of fixing it unless it is being scrapped

I'm not planning to part exchange it. I was considering putting it on autotrader - sold for parts, as I doubt anyone would drive it in the current climate of diesel-phobia, plus the door that won't open.

You could sell it (stating faults), anything from advertising in local paper, parking it on street with for sale notice in window, to a used car website.    The used car buying companies will only offer a token price if they don't want it.

My guess is if you switch off all interior lights (including, boot and glovebox), switch off everything eg radio,  and if that stops the battery draining, and it is then working, keep it for a while.  But obviously a 11 year old car will get other faults / failures over time, but at some point the cost of repairs will exceed any residual value and will become madness to throw more money at it.   If it is already turning into a money pit, or you are aware of other parts that are noisy and likely to need replacement soon, then don't waste more money on it.    The higher the spec, the more there is to go wrong.  as an example manually wound windows don't normally break, but window motors fail.    

It's already turning into a money pit. I also had water ingress (perhaps due to the design flaw), which could trigger a chain of problems. I did fix the electric window a couple of times already during my 2-year ownership. 

Remember there are about 7000 new cars every day on UK roads (2.55m in a year), nearly every one of those leads to a part exchange, work through the replacement chain, about 6000-7000 per day can be expected to go for scrap.

Guess I wasn't all that rational when I bought this, there was a brand sentiment, as my wife's car is skoda (petrol blue yeti too), but comparing the 20k-mile yeti and 80k-mile skoda is non-sense. 

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Could be water ingress. Check for a damp floor. Lots of threads in the Superb section. 

Indeed i had ingress a little while ago -- nightmare!

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Depending on model/engine it's probably worth sticking on eBay if you don't want to keep it. It's not "that" old to be honest. 

Not that old at all, this I know, so I'm shocked by the way it went down.

4 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Seemingly a Skoda Enthusiast Forum can be a good place to sell things and those on there might know what it is being advertised,

trusted seller and trusted buyers that are not back moaning you sold something that needed work doing.

I hear BRISKODA has such a Cars For Sale Section,.  maybe worth checking out, maybe an advert to sound them out.

Good idea - thanks!

I am not bothered how much this car will sell. I'm only grateful that it didn't cause me trouble during any family trip. 

Ten year design life.

They don’t want ‘old’ cars and their old pollution systems on the road.......and that’s with the approval of the Greens too.

14 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Ten year design life.

They don’t want ‘old’ cars and their old pollution systems on the road.......and that’s with the approval of the Greens too.

I don't want old cars on the road either, so toxic.

Thanks all, the car was sold via wexxxxxxcar - not the best channel I must concede, but for a car with only 3 functional windows and MOT a few days overdue, it didn't stand a chance else where I suppose.

1 hour ago, mjin said:

Thanks all, the car was sold via wexxxxxxcar - not the best channel I must concede, but for a car with only 3 functional windows and MOT a few days overdue, it didn't stand a chance else where I suppose.

Can I ask what ballpark figure you got for it via WBAC?

Most likely an insulting price, surpring they even wanted it (with the faults that is) sorry not being rude.

They insulted me with a really low price on my 3 year old car buts that's the way they roll.

14 hours ago, MickA said:

Most likely an insulting price, surpring they even wanted it (with the faults that is) sorry not being rude.

They insulted me with a really low price on my 3 year old car buts that's the way they roll.

My impression is that mine will end up in a scrapyard, not in a auction as I was told, otherwise how could they skip all the mechanical/electronic tests? They took a look at the bodywork, ticked a few boxes, then ran the valuation which brought the original quote of one grand to 630. If my car is only 3-year old, I definitely wouldn't go there.