First time TSI owner - normal sounds?

vgnils

Hi,

I recently bought a used Fabia estate 1.2 TSI 110hp DSG, model year 2016 built in June 2015 (26 000 km / 16 000 miles). Pretty happy with it, but this is my first car with a turbo and I am wondering if the noises I am hearing are normal...

On light acceleration, roughly between 1500 to 2000 rpm, the engine sound changes from a normal "rolling vroom"-sound to more of a "continuous oohh"-sound, if that makes any sense to you :) It doesn't seem to happen 100 % consistently, i.e. not on every acceleration. It's not loud or particularly intrusive, either, just a change in tone.

So is this normal for a 1.2 TSI? Is it the turbo I am hearing?

I thought I would ask the forum, but will of course also ask the dealer when it's time for service in a few months. Car is still under warranty.

I can't say that I've noticed that too much, but that could be that I expected a lot more turbo noise than I'm hearing, my wife's car is a July 2015 build bought new in August 2015 and currently at 18900 miles. It is the first car I've owned that has a turbo, I do have one with a supercharger but tend to run it an sensible speeds so normally don't hear the supercharger working hard.

@krigl Actually, owl hoot may be an accurate description! Not particularly high-pitched and with a blowing/windy quality to it. Hard to describe sounds... Googling owl hoot + turbo throws up a lot of results, but not much relating to the 1.2 TSI.

You could google or search.

so briskoda fabia mk3 pipe noise 

that will show at least 3 threads and the known fix the one in TPI's when the noise is not as designed originally.

humming / monotone noise

high pitched sound from engine

fabia mk3 engine whine

EDIT, maybe the ones i just bumped are the wrong threads but someone that posted originally will know which thread 

the part numbers are in.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Thanks! Unfortunately, the video recordings in those threads are gone so I can't compare with my sound, but I definitely still have the corrugated pipe that was replaced with a smooth one to solve the problem in this thread. I wouldn't describe my sound as high-pitched though, more like a throaty owl hoot... Guess I have to try to record it!

Is it sort of a windy howl around the 2000rpm mark with high throttle demand, presumably when the turbo is just starting to kick in? (Sounds on mine like a rush of air, I can't hear the turbo itself like I could on TDIs.)

Edited by ettlz

A windy and not very high-pitched howl around 1500 - 2000 rpm, when accelerating (even light acceleration). A rush of air is also a good description. I guess it may be normal, then! Will still check with the dealer when time for service.