High pitched sound from the engine

jon15

So I bought a new-old (less than a year old) Fabia III the other day and I'm loving it so far -- except for these 2 different high pitched sounds that come from the engine (?) when your foot is on the gas.

Please have a listen here:

1. https://vid.me/GS2G

2. https://vid.me/TKgS

In video 1 you can hear it clearly, while in video 2 you may want to turn up your volume a bit louder. There are 2 different kinds of sound, the 1st one is something like a high-pitched "t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t" sound while the 2nd one is a continual, uninterrupted noise.

(I used cruise control in the video to demonstrate the difference of how the sound disappears as soon as you take your foot off the gas pedal), though the sounds don't seem related to cruise control in particular).

My observations so far:

- the high-pitched noise seems to appear especially at speeds between cca. 50-90 km/h --- I haven't noticed it at higher speeds (e.g. 110 km/h and up)

- the noise seems to appear only when the foot is on the gas pedal or when cruise control is on

- as soon as you remove your foot or turn off cruise control, the sound disappears

Any ideas? Is it the engine or could it be something else?

Sorry, can't help you with the sound question but how did you get that big round clock on the Bolero's(?) screen (seen on the first video at 0:03)?

Tõnu

It's in the system settings menu, large clock on standby screen.

• 1 month later...

Update: I got the charcoal canister hose replaced the other day and the beeping / high pitched noise is now finally gone! The original hose was ribbed (and plastic, I believe), while the new one smooth and made of rubber. The mechanic took the old hose into his hand and blew through it -- and you could hear it produce a loud noise, while blowing through the new hose does not produce any sound (only a slight hush of the air).

Many thanks to the users kristianRS and kimmu for the heads-up on this.

Edited by jon15
  • Like 1

Oh, some one has had success on this, good!  I might have a chat with my VW dealer about this, though I have not noticed anyone complaining about this in the VW or Seat forums, I noticed this issues when the car was only a two days old!

• 4 weeks later...

I had mine replaced yesterday as well, too early to tell if it is now cured.

Dealer said there was a service bulletin out on this so there should not be an issue if anybody wants this changed.

My local VW dealer's service person was quite adamant that there was no change authorised by VW - by the way I am talking about a Polo with that same 1.2TSI 110PS CJZD engine. I'll give it until the weather has warmed up and have an other go or order in a new pipe - on that idea, anyone know the p/n for the replacement pipe?

Edit:- Also no one reporting this issue yet on Polo or Ibiza forums, that I've noticed, and I do look hard!  Maybe they are all a bit deaf - eh?

Edited by rum4mo

I had mine replaced yesterday as well, too early to tell if it is now cured.

Dealer said there was a service bulletin out on this so there should not be an issue if anybody wants this changed.

Have you got details of the action carried out on your car, or now that we don't get service booklets, is all that concealed?

Edit:- by details I mean reference numbers for that action, there will be one as your dealer will be billing Skoda UK for that work.

Edited by rum4mo

Sorry, I saw the service bulletin, but didn't get the reference. I assume they just changed the hose, certainly a smooth one is fitted now and, so far, it seems to have cured the noise.

But I checked a new car in the showroom and that still had the old hose fitted, so perhaps they are using up old stocks and only changing them when the customer complains?

If there is a Service Campaign it should show as a Recall Action, otherwise it will just have a TPI and Dealers Can act on that as Customers Complain or just say 'they all do that', which might be true if Skoda does nothing about it for all the affected cars.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Sorry, I saw the service bulletin, but didn't get the reference. I assume they just changed the hose, certainly a smooth one is fitted now and, so far, it seems to have cured the noise.

But I checked a new car in the showroom and that still had the old hose fitted, so perhaps they are using up old stocks and only changing them when the customer complains?

I had planned to check any new Fabia 1.2 110 and Ibiza 1.2 110 that I find in showrooms, but I considered that they would all still have the old piping fitted yet, and I might just get chased as I've not noticed many new car showroom that have the bonnets opened, most dealer's sales staff don't know what lives under the bonnet!

If there is a Service Campaign it should show as a Recall Action, otherwise it will just have a TPI and Dealers Can act on that as Customers Complain or just say 'they all do that', which might be true if Skoda does nothing about it for all the affected cars.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

I really don't think that I pushed the point strongly enough and probably ended up getting the car reg being stuffed into the VW recall listing, which as you say will not work in this instance.

Just stumbled upon this thread, my fabia is doing the same so i'll be asking them to sort it whilst it's in for service in the next couple of weeks.

Happens to do it a lot if you have the cruise on and sit around 50-53mph, if you lift off or accelerate the noise goes.

• 6 months later...

Ta, in my case August 8th is "D" day, any messing about and I'll just order the hose in and change it myself, though I hope that is not necessary, I'd like to trust my VW dealer - if possible.

Wish a few Polo and Ibiza owners cleaned their ears out - or viewed this forum!

Maybe I'm the only Ibiza owner that stalks these forums!

Just checked on mine, albeit a 1.0TSI and don't appear to have the noisy pipe mentioned. I also can't hear this noise.

Sorry I don't have a 1.2TSI!

http://i64.tinypic.com/20rwyhc.jpg

Ah, so it looks like VAG has addressed this isssue on the later cars, or at least the later engines. Your car has a smooth plastic or rubber pipe going to the EVAP valve instead of the older "ribbed hard but can be bent into shape" plastic pipe!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not reposting into this thread, but while my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110PS was in for its first service, the workshop agreed that there was a fix available and so ordered in a new pipe and fitted it. The VAG part number of this pipe is 04E 133 518 G and it needs a "spring clip" fitted at the stub end only - I've checked what is fitted to a newer Golf 1.4TSI !

• 2 months later...

Can I check if anyone has experienced similar high pitched noises on their 1.4 TDI? (Either power output).

I have a noticeable high pitched whirring noise travelling at low speeds; it seems to match the engine'a behaviour and goes on a downward pitch when slowing down for a roundabout, for example... it's not quite a beeping like in the OP's video but it's of similarly high pitch.