Sound Deadening - anyone added some?

Been noticing quite a bit of road noise from the rear of the car recently on my motorway commute home. Been doing some research and seen suggests on adding sound deadening to the boot, spare wheel well and rear arches as these are areas that are pretty much bare metal. Has anyone added some Sound deadening to their Octavia, and did it make much difference? What product would you recommend?

I've been looking at Silent Coat 2mm but wondering if the 4mm version they do would be even better - plan on only doing this once!

https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-mat-volume-pack 

https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-extra-4mm-mat-volume-pack

I am going to swap the rear tyres for some quieter ones (F1 AS3 instead of Conti CS5) in the next few months which I'm hoping will help too. Any input from your own experience is appreciated, thanks.

I haven’t, but when I had to drive home from my Dad’s with all my boot trim missing it wasn’t half loud!! On my old C30 I had a full stainless exhaust fitted and in order to make it more relaxed on the motorway I used dynamat in the spare wheel well and under the boot trim, over the wheelarches etc to good effect. I wondered when I had mine in bits if I should add extra sound deadening while I was there, but I didn’t as I didn’t have any and didn’t want to wait. If you do decide to strip the car out, drop me a PM or something and I’ll list some better instructions on tools you’ll need and the tips I learned from stripping mine down. I know mines an Estate and yours is a hatch. But there will be similarities, like the rear airbags which have to be moved to get to the seatbelt bolt etc :)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I haven’t, but when I had to drive home from my Dad’s with all my boot trim missing it wasn’t half loud!! On my old C30 I had a full stainless exhaust fitted and in order to make it more relaxed on the motorway I used dynamat in the spare wheel well and under the boot trim, over the wheelarches etc to good effect. I wondered when I had mine in bits if I should add extra sound deadening while I was there, but I didn’t as I didn’t have any and didn’t want to wait. If you do decide to strip the car out, drop me a PM or something and I’ll list some better instructions on tools you’ll need and the tips I learned from stripping mine down. I know mines an Estate and yours is a hatch. But there will be similarities, like the rear airbags which have to be moved to get to the seatbelt bolt etc :)

Thanks, much appreciated! I know you stripped the boot down recently for the VBF retrofit and figured you'd be pretty familiar with it :)  I've also got the rear curtain airbags (crew protection pack) not sure if that will make a difference. Do you know how thick the dynamat was?

Edited by ahenners

Not the Octavia but I did do the doors and boot of my Leon FR.  Unfortunately due to photobucket no longer being free you can't see the pics but I did list the products I used: 

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417184

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Actually go to page 3 and someone has kindly linked the pics.  It should give you an idea of how I applied the silent coat.  I think it made a huge difference to the refinement of the car for not much outlay and a few hours work.  Trim tools or similar plastic tool such as tyre lever are essential IMO. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

Yep, started lining the load area, (combi) and I've done under the rear seat.

Small but noticeable difference, will press on when the weather improves...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Not the Octavia but I did do the doors and boot of my Leon FR.  Unfortunately due to photobucket no longer being free you can't see the pics but I did list the products I used: 

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417184

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Actually go to page 3 and someone has kindly linked the pics.  It should give you an idea of how I applied the silent coat.  I think it made a huge difference to the refinement of the car for not much outlay and a few hours work.  Trim tools or similar plastic tool such as tyre lever are essential IMO. 

Thanks for that. I actually found your thread a few days ago and it was very useful - I've been stalking the cupra.net forums a bit and there's a few on there that have done some deadening B)

1 minute ago, Mence said:

Yep, started lining the load area, (combi) and I've done under the rear seat.

Small but noticeable difference, will press on when the weather improves...

That's good to hear, which products are you using :)

25 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Thanks, much appreciated! I know you stripped the boot down recently for the VBF retrofit and figured you'd be pretty familiar with it :)  I've also got the rear curtain airbags (crew protection pack) not sure if that will make a difference. Do you know how thick the dynamat was?

My car also has the crew protection pack with the curtain bag and I didn’t have to touch those, the only rear airbags I had to remove were the side ones, though it’s easy to deal with once you know how! In order to get the side panels fully out you’ll need to remove the rear seatbelt (well, you do on the estate) and you’ll need an M10 spline tool for the bolt. If the hatch doesn’t have the rear seat release in the boot you’ll be saved a faff with the cables.

Cant remember what thickness dynamat I used off the top of my head sorry. If you want to do under the seat, the base just pulls off once you’ve taken the ISOFIX guides off and they just clip onto the ISOFIX points themselves.

Just now, ahenners said:

Thanks for that. I actually found your thread a few days ago and it was very useful - I've been stalking the cupra.net forums a bit and there's a few on there that have done some deadening B)

No probs.  Defo something that was mentioned quite a bit on SCN.  The Leon was cheap(er) for a reason....rattles were/are a common complaint and the road noise wasn't the best either.   I was really happy with mine when I finished.  Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres were also something that made a difference over the noisy Conti SC5's. 

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

My car also has the crew protection pack with the curtain bag and I didn’t have to touch those, the only rear airbags I had to remove were the side ones, though it’s easy to deal with once you know how! In order to get the side panels fully out you’ll need to remove the rear seatbelt (well, you do on the estate) and you’ll need an M10 spline tool for the bolt. If the hatch doesn’t have the rear seat release in the boot you’ll be saved a faff with the cables.

Cant remember what thickness dynamat I used off the top of my head sorry. If you want to do under the seat, the base just pulls off once you’ve taken the ISOFIX guides off and they just clip onto the ISOFIX points themselves.

Great, thanks for the explanation! The hatch also has the rear seat releases on either side so looks like I'll need to do that! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

No probs.  Defo something that was mentioned quite a bit on SCN.  The Leon was cheap(er) for a reason....rattles were/are a common complaint and the road noise wasn't the best either.   I was really happy with mine when I finished.  Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres were also something that made a difference over the noisy Conti SC5's. 

How are the EfficientGrips? I've been looking at the F1 AS3 as I'd assumed the EfficientGrips were more comfort based than performance, and I do like a spirited drive every now and again in the VRS. I'm running SC5 all round at the moment - came with them. Fronts are due soon so replacing them and rotating to rear, so I can get rid of the rear SC5 sooner.

5 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Great, thanks for the explanation! The hatch also has the rear seat releases on either side so looks like I'll need to do that! 

It’s not hard, you’ll need a pair of pliers and a flat blade screwdriver. Use the pliers to keep the tension in the cable and push the tab out of the holder in the spring side of the handle, then push the cable tab out of the plastic holder entirely and pull the cable out. It’ll become clear what I mean if you do it. I reused my originals as one side was supplied broken but I’ve fixed it and kept it for spares. If you strip yours down and break one you can have mine if you like :) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s not hard, you’ll need a pair of pliers and a flat blade screwdriver. Use the pliers to keep the tension in the cable and push the tab out of the holder in the spring side of the handle, then push the cable tab out of the plastic holder entirely and pull the cable out. It’ll become clear what I mean if you do it. I reused my originals as one side was supplied broken but I’ve fixed it and kept it for spares. If you strip yours down and break one you can have mine if you like :) 

Thanks, much appreciated! Will drop you a PM if I have issues :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ahenners said:

That's good to hear, which products are you using :)

Suffering from Man Flue so reluctant to trudge to the garage but if memory serves, Rattle Mat?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mence said:

Suffering from Man Flue so reluctant to trudge to the garage but if memory serves, Rattle Mat?

Eugh.. man flu is the worst definitely stay in where it's warm and get better soon!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ahenners said:

How are the EfficientGrips? I've been looking at the F1 AS3 as I'd assumed the EfficientGrips were more comfort based than performance, and I do like a spirited drive every now and again in the VRS. I'm running SC5 all round at the moment - came with them. Fronts are due soon so replacing them and rotating to rear, so I can get rid of the rear SC5 sooner.

Very good, surprisingly so.  I had 230 bhp going through the front tyres and they coped really well.  Much better than the eco labeling would lead you to believe.  I prefer them to Eagle F1 3's, which I find noisy and seem to wear badly.

I went from SC5's to the EGP's and it was a noticeable improvement in every regard. 

• Like 1

Just now, penguin17 said:

Very good, surprisingly so.  I had 230 bhp going through the front tyres and they coped really well.  Much better than the eco labeling would lead you to believe.  I prefer them to Eagle F1 3's, which I find noisy and seem to wear badly.

I went from SC5's to the EGP's and it was a noticeable improvement in every regard. 

Interesting feedback, perhaps I shouldn't rule it out as an option! Thanks :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

Interesting feedback, perhaps I shouldn't rule it out as an option! Thanks :)

I've switched to all-season tyres and annoyingly had a choice of 2 for 19" wheels, so I've now got a full set of Vredestein Quatrac 5's and they are very nice indeed.   Didn't disappoint in the snow we had over Xmas. 

GY EGP's are defo worth considering IME.  

• Like 1

well it would be nice to know which are the best low noise.

we have a new section of dual carriageway about 10 miles finished last year and the surface is like an F1 track, the noise from my tyres is really noticeable on it, more so than on the rougher older road surfaces, the drone is audible and pulses almost like a bad bearing. The thing is the tyres were Skoda service replaced and not cheaply either just before i got the car so im stuck with them until i get the extremes on. The brand is Kuhmo, iv'e never had them before but i have seen them in fitters. Im a Michelin man all day everyday.

obviously softer compound = less noise but more wear. Has anyone found a good compromise?

i've sound deadened quite a few VW bugs and buses and used both top brands like noise killer and the generic stuff from ebay and there's no noticeable difference other than the price.

did the rear of my combi and it has made a difference, only problem is you notice road noise else where now so next job is doing all 4 doors!

20171024_170632_zps3yudkz1z.jpg

20171024_165851_zpsavvqnpy9.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950da20171024_165851_zpsavvqnpy9.jpg.html

Edited by marko
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, marko said:

did the rear of my combi and it has made a difference, only problem is you notice road noise else where now so next job is doing all 4 doors!

20171024_170632_zps3yudkz1z.jpg

20171024_165851_zpsavvqnpy9.jpg.html

imageproxy.php?img=&key=66c1d7df650950da20171024_165851_zpsavvqnpy9.jpg.html

Thanks, that looks good! Which product did you use for that? 

F1's on the vRS made a big noise difference IMO.

One question, do the latest EfficientGrips have the correct speed/load rating. I had some as an emergency measure (2 punctures in the middle of nowhere in the Highlands and all they had at the right size the only place we found) but the loading and speed ratings were not correct/high enough for the estate at least, and i think the alloy protection wasn't that good?