Turbo Upgrade on Standard Clutch

As title suggests, my cars done 141k now, I’m not too sure if turbo is original or not, still pulls well, doesn’t smoke no funny noises etc but if the turbo was to go in the future and I upgraded to say a 1756 or simular if I got the torque capped at 300ftlb would the the clutch take it? Or would it slip? Obviously the BHP will be higher than the standard unit? 

Of the torque was was capped at 300ftlb what sort of BHP figure would be seeing? Or would it be pointless 

Ummm, kind of the wrong way to ask the question really. The last thing you need is to perform a turbo upgrade under pressure to get the car back on the road after it suddenly stops on you.

If you want it, plan the job out properly and get supporting mods. Mainly the suspension ones IMO. Brakes will be OK for normal use but not fast B road "larks" with mates in Scoobies etc.

You will probably want an intercooler and a clutch replacement. Plus a sympathetic remap depending on turbo chosen.

Picking up coilovers and FMIC next weekend, I haven’t looked too much into the different clutches available for the car but Sachs SRE seems a tad overkill for what I want really, granted if I was going 2260 then yeah, but not planning to go that route. Hence why I asked if I got a replacement standard clutch would it be suitable with torque cap or would I need to go upgraded CG motorsports or the like? 

8 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

141k on the original clutch? If so then not a hope in hell the clutch will survive a bigger turbo, you'd have to torque limit a remap on the standard turbo let alone a bigger one.

I’m not 100% sure if it’s original clutch/turbo. The paperwork I got with the car was vague on terms of receipts. It does have FSH but no receipts 

10 hours ago, JaamesVRS said:

I’m not 100% sure if it’s original clutch/turbo. The paperwork I got with the car was vague on terms of receipts. It does have FSH but no receipts 

Dude, if you have no proof otherwise then you must assume it hasn't been done and budget accordingly. That's like saying that you're not 100% sure there are no Magic Dragons because you've never seen one called Puff.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Dude, if you have no proof otherwise then you must assume it hasn't been done and budget accordingly. That's like saying that you're not 100% sure there are no Magic Dragons because you've never seen one called Puff.

That’s what I’m saying; you asked if it’s 141k on standard clutch and I can’t give you a solid yes or no answer due to having no receipts with the car 

Might sound daft but your more likely to require a stronger clutch on a decent hybrid than on a 2260. It’s the torque that’s a killer not bhp. A decent hybrid will make more low than torque than a much bigger 2260.

Yes I understand I did notice that the torque figures of the hybrids match or beat the torque figures of 2260s and always wondered why. I’ve seen these CG Motorsport clutches and will probably give them a go, affordable and have many of good reviews 

CG clutches seem to be a bit hit and miss judging from what I've seen in here. 

It's the way the torque is delivered too. The GTB turbos have a more gradual curved and peak torque is later in the rev range. A hybrid had a sudden spike

16 hours ago, JaamesVRS said:

Yes I understand I did notice that the torque figures of the hybrids match or beat the torque figures of 2260s and always wondered why. I’ve seen these CG Motorsport clutches and will probably give them a go, affordable and have many of good reviews 

Some here have had TERRIBLE experiences with CG clutches although not recently.

Also, the reason a 2260 produces less torque but can produce more power is that it needs more exhaust net gasflow at higher RPM to spool the exducer, this is also why a 2260 benefits from a hotter cam and head mods which shift peak torque higher up the RPM range, basically a 2260 is oversized on the standard head and cam.