Noise-Water sloshing around

horkin

Where I park , outdoors, I set off up a slight incline. After heavy rain I can hear water running behind the firewall (dash) area. It disappears after a very short time and only returns once its rained.

I always check the 'plenum ' areas below the windscreen regularly and keep it free of any debris so as not to block the drains.

I have checked the carpets inside, front and rear and bone dry.

Just wondered if anyone else has this.?

Harry

Cant say i have noticed to be honest..

But do you park facing up or down the incline?

Sounds like water getting stuck somewhere and sloshing out once on level ground.

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

Cant say i have noticed to be honest..

But do you park facing up or down the incline?

Sounds like water getting stuck somewhere and sloshing out once on level ground.

Just thinking the same thing,once the car gets on level ground the trapped water drains away.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leckman said:

Just thinking the same thing,once the car gets on level ground the trapped water drains away.

I'm sure that's what it is, just wonder where it's pooling. Car is parked across the incline, level front to back but slopes nearside to off i.e. drivers side is low, if that makes sense. I have to reverse out across the slope then drive up it. Once on the level it's gone and only returns once it rains heavily.

7 hours ago, horkin said:

I'm sure that's what it is, just wonder where it's pooling. Car is parked across the incline, level front to back but slopes nearside to off i.e. drivers side is low, if that makes sense. I have to reverse out across the slope then drive up it. Once on the level it's gone and only returns once it rains heavily.

Is it much of an incline, or just kerb outside your house? Swmbo's is park on the kerb too, though ours also has a downhill front to rear gradient.. i dont recall noticing any water sloshing though.

Ill have a look later and if theres where obvious it might be pooling, but sill might be it if your car is just "tilted" when parked.

My car tilts to the off side when parked outside My house, when I drive off after heavy rain it leaves a trail of water behind,about 2 pints worth but no water sounds behind the dash though.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Is it much of an incline, or just kerb outside your house? Swmbo's is park on the kerb too, though ours also has a downhill front to rear gradient.. i dont recall noticing any water sloshing though.

Ill have a look later and if theres where obvious it might be pooling, but sill might be it if your car is just "tilted" when parked.

It's a very gentle slope, not a much as having wheels on the kerb. It's actually a communal car park for residents of  the complex in which I live. Next time it does it I aim to stop and look to see if any water is running to the floor.

Harry

• 6 months later...

I noticed this on my Citigo as well, it retains a lot of rain water somewhere in the area behind dashboard and when I'm turning after the rain, it sloshes like a creek. I've tried to find where exactly this water gathers, but that area under the hood is covered with plastic, I can't see anything. I would like to know where does this rain water normally drain out, maybe the openings have clogged due to derbies carried by the water. 

^^At each end of the plenum chamber there is a drain hole. Look through the gap at either end of the black plastic cover (with a torch if necessary)...but don't try to remove it!

If there is debris, it usually collects at these drain-holes....you can clear them with a long, thin object....like a bbq skewer. When clear, you should be able to pour water into the plenum chamber, it will run to either end and drain out behind the front wheels.

Yesterday evening I started the car and as it moved, some water got into the cabin. Already this morning there was a mouldy smell in the car, so probably some water got in Saturday night during heavy rain too. I drove the car to the service point right after work today. Technician removed the windshield wipers and the plastic covering the basin and just as I thought, damn pine needles have clogged the drains. He cleaned and sanitized the area and replaced the cabin air filter that the water got through, 45 euros for the operation.

But the bad news is that mould started growing in the floor fabric. Tomorrow is going to be a hot day, I'm going to leave the car on the sun in the company parking with windows slightly open, it's my best hope that the heat is going to dry out the spill before it gets any worse. I'd really hate to have the floor fabric replaced, this poor little car is such a jinx, unlucky events just keep happening to it.