Road noise

BarryG

Have you ever swapped the wheels / tyres front to rear.

& have you tried the tyre pressures a few psi higher and lower, and does the road noise then change?

How much tread left now on the tyres after 33,000 miles, and when are you changing them for something else?

Maybe then you will know if the road noise is the Dunlop Sport Maxx and you get a different tune on different rubber.

& was it on the same size tyres of a different brand / compound / sidewall of the Dunlop Sportmaxx, and were they directional tyres.

You say the noise is increasing in yours, so it is tyres or something else happening.

I've just the other day replaced my Dunlop SP SportMaxx tyres on the fronts and they had done 49420 miles.. and they had about 2mm tread left.  The rears have still got 5mm on both, wear rate is very good on these tyres..  but with regard to your road noise issue - perhaps increase the pressures.. I was told to increase my psi a little as I ran about 32-34psi, but was told to go to 34-36 on the fronts due to a little bit of wear on the outer edges..

Roadnoise has very close connection with tyre brand and model IMHO. Well, not only IMO.:)

A bit on the subject http://www.tirereview.com/the-fight-against-tire-noise/

I won’t recommend any as tyre models available on the British market probably differs from the Scandinavian.

I've test driven two 2017 Fabia's recently and I thought they were both quieter road noise wise than our 2015 Fabia, both test drives were on Hankook tyres, our Fabia has 3 Continetals and one Dunlop (total miles 4500). I suspect its tyre pressures as I run ours at the eco pressures which are on the higher.

When I got my car new in 2015 I thought the road noise was much louder than my old Mk1 diesel estate I only do about 8/9K a year after the first year they seemed to be quieter or I think I have just got used to the noise. I have not tried a lower tyre pressure they are set at 2.2bar that's about 35psi Joe

I can only compare to the Continental premium contact 2 I had on a Fiesta and Michelin primacy I had on a Focus, putting the noise insulation etc aside based on the tyres alone I'm fairly confident the Dunlop sportmaxx are the loudest I've had, its not unbearable but easily the loudest.

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned your tyres have covered 33,000 miles (53,000 km), so I imagine they are getting fairly worn.

Tyres do become noisier (ie produce more road noise), as the tread depth wears away, so perhaps that is what you're experiencing.