Tdi190 refused to start for a while....

Car is 3 month old and has been problem free for 14000km.

But today my first little niggle appeared.

Had been driving the car all day without any problem. My daily commute is 60km one way and today I took a detour and ended up with 95km.

So - more then a half tank of diesel, AdBlue filled up at 12000km, battery fresh and everything is normal.

Started the heater 20minutes before takeoff as it started to snow today. Went out to the car as I always do and pushed the startbutton. Ignition turns on, preheating of the plugs (don't know the English word) start engine started to turn as it always does but... Engine never fired up, at first I thought there was some misfiring or something as the car vibrated so much. But no faults showed up in the cluster. Turned the car of and tried four times more with no success. Starter is rotating engine, ignition is on but it wouldn't fire up. It wasn't colder then any other day and there wasn't higher humidity either.

Started to look after Skoda assistance phone number which took me about three minutes before I realised that I have buttons for this :)

Anyway - just before pressing the button I thought that I would make one more try and the little ****** fired up as nothing had happened before!?

I drove home 60km and then shut the car off and started it again several times without any issues..

Has someone experienced any similar problem? I'm thinking that it might be something like air in the fuel pump or something like that?

The car is a S3 TDI190 DSG6 4x4 estate and is three month old.

Had a similar issue with a honda Accord about 10 years ago (without the cotd).

Stopped at a shop, got back in the car and it wouldn't start.  Tried several times (actually didn't crank).  Rang recovery.  Realised I was in limited parking and walked over to check the sign (Locking the car due to area I was in - 30 minutes waiting :-(  ).  Got back in and thinking there was no harm trying again tried to start it and it started.  Cancelled the recovery and drove straight to the dealer. Technician went out to it and . . . . . .

it didn't start :-).

The alarm module had failed and was generating an intermittent fault.

BTW the worst Skoda I have had was far more reliable and had far fewer faults than the Honda.

Edited by IJWS15

I have had the same issue several times now with my 14 month old 2.0 TDI 150ps SCR / DSG Alhambra this winter.

18,000 miles (29,000 km)

Never happened last winter when new.

The battery is just about doing the job.

I need to switch the lights off to DRL's. the radio and heated screen and mirrors cross fingers and on the 3rd or 4th try it fires.

Now i have a Jump Start Pack on board and Jump leads.

Doing it at -4*oC even, pathetic.

Ad-blue should not be freezing even though the temp has been to about -8*oC.

Diesel is not Waxing.

Edited by AwaoffSki

9 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

Car is 3 month old and has been problem free for 14000km.

But today my first little niggle appeared.

Had been driving the car all day without any problem. My daily commute is 60km one way and today I took a detour and ended up with 95km.

So - more then a half tank of diesel, AdBlue filled up at 12000km, battery fresh and everything is normal.

Started the heater 20minutes before takeoff as it started to snow today. Went out to the car as I always do and pushed the startbutton. Ignition turns on, preheating of the plugs (don't know the English word) start engine started to turn as it always does but... Engine never fired up, at first I thought there was some misfiring or something as the car vibrated so much. But no faults showed up in the cluster. Turned the car of and tried four times more with no success. Starter is rotating engine, ignition is on but it wouldn't fire up. It wasn't colder then any other day and there wasn't higher humidity either.

Started to look after Skoda assistance phone number which took me about three minutes before I realised that I have buttons for this :)

Anyway - just before pressing the button I thought that I would make one more try and the little ****** fired up as nothing had happened before!?

I drove home 60km and then shut the car off and started it again several times without any issues..

Has someone experienced any similar problem? I'm thinking that it might be something like air in the fuel pump or something like that?

The car is a S3 TDI190 DSG6 4x4 estate and is three month old.

I think you might be a high mileage person.:D Glad it worked.:thumbup:

Had this problem once with the same car - about 18 months ago. It turned over OK but would not fire.

I called Skoda Assist - then tried to start again and it fired up first time.

It has never down it since. I asked the dealer to look for codes when the car went for a service a couple of months later but no codes were logged.

AdBlue shouldn't be an issue and I think that we're using winter diesel here in Sweden. As I said - battery isn't the issue as it's almost fully charged all the time (checked with a smart charger).

No faults today - was a little bit nervous as I had a plane to catch!

Could have been a software glitch. Will try to look at the codes tomorrow when I'm back in Sweden.

6 hours ago, Inoffski said:

Had this problem once with the same car - about 18 months ago. It turned over OK but would not fire.

I called Skoda Assist - then tried to start again and it fired up first time.

It has never down it since. I asked the dealer to look for codes when the car went for a service a couple of months later but no codes were logged.

Sounds exactly as what happened to me. I think the reason why it started at the last attempt was that I waited for a couple of minutes...

On 17/01/2018 at 17:10, Baverhanne said:

AdBlue shouldn't be an issue and I think that we're using winter diesel here in Sweden. As I said - battery isn't the issue as it's almost fully charged all the time (checked with a smart charger).

No faults today - was a little bit nervous as I had a plane to catch!

Could have been a software glitch. Will try to look at the codes tomorrow when I'm back in Sweden.

I'm in Northern Sweden and last winter the previous owner had the adblue lines freezing at about -20 and had to get them replaced. It's been ok this winter but I am parking in a heated garage overnight.

2 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

Connected my OBD11 and couldn't find any fault codes regarding this :(

Just the standard fault for front assist, some electrical glitch for one of the thumbwheels etc.

Just hope for the best :)

Do you know what causes that Front Assist fault code to be triggered?  It's the only thing I ever see on a scan with my OBDEleven. 

Braverhanne,

Handy when posting and someone reads the first post if it showed you were in Sweden.

When cold and staying cold it can be less of an issue, as there is Winter Diesel and Ad-blue should not be freezing.

I checked my battery and as is as should be.

Does not change the fact that after 3 attempts to get the engine to fire it sounds as though not enough to turn the engine one more time, 

but luckily does.

That is why the power pack is in the car now, because i am places that there might be nobody to give a jump start and no RAC/ AA / Greenflag coming to within a couple of hours.

In the likes of the UK 

there can be temps up above freezing day time and the night time freezes.

You still get moisture / condensation in fuel tanks, so good to keep them full as you can when parked up.

Then you still get H2o in Fuel Filters, and that can freeze, you can have moisture in Air Intakes, Air Boxes and Air Filters, that freezes, 

then there can just be Sensor & ECU Brain Farts.

I suspect a bit there is a SCR issue at times, 

Also a foot on the brake when turning the ignition issue when there is ice on discs, calipers etc.

I decided when i got a Diesel & a SCR that both the Ad-Blue Tank & the Diesel tank is as well to be full when the car is being parked up for a few days or more.

Just as was the practice with Petrol cars for decades now.

DSCN3648 (2).JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki

Had similar experience little over a year ago in the 'fjällen' (jämtland semester)...

Winter, minus 10, nothing unusual. Webasto on for 20 mins or so. Same as you reported. Later in the day, like 3 hours later it fired up first time. No further problems.

(Incidentally this was on a family members 2016 mark 3 190 4x4. Didn't put me off Skoda though, mines due for first service in a month, 30km.

Mines  a 2017 model, 190 4x4 brilliant silver business edition. Löve it.

1 hour ago, englishswede said:

Had similar experience little over a year ago in the 'fjällen' (jämtland semester)...

Winter, minus 10, nothing unusual. Webasto on for 20 mins or so. Same as you reported. Later in the day, like 3 hours later it fired up first time. No further problems.

(Incidentally this was on a family members 2016 mark 3 190 4x4. Didn't put me off Skoda though, mines due for first service in a month, 30km.

Mines  a 2017 model, 190 4x4 brilliant silver business edition. Löve it.

Do you get any other issues in the cold? Just lately my windscreen has been making these cracking noises while heating after being left out in the cold. It's like the glass is expanding or maybe the seals.

Creaks and rattles from the door cards, dash around the infotainment system and speedo, and around drivers seatbelt fastening in ear height. All of which are much more pronounced and regular in winter. Oh, and centre cubbyhole/ armrest squeaks. But those are all widely reported by others on here too. Also they aren't exclusive to skoda.  Recent trips in various 'quality' cars with friends made me realise they all have quirks...

But thankfully no squeaks or creaks around the windscreen to report on :-) Got my first chip in the windscreen the other week tho, from a bloody hyundai atos!

Edited by englishswede

3 minutes ago, englishswede said:

Creaks and rattles from the door cards, dash around the infotainment system and speedo, and around drivers seatbelt fastening in ear height. All of which are much more pronounced and regular in winter. Oh, and centre cubbyhole/ armrest squeaks. But those are all widely reported by others on here too. Also they aren't exclusive to skoda.  Recent trips in various 'quality' cars with friends made me realise they all have quirks...

But thankfully no squeaks or creaks around the windscreen to report on :-) Got my first chip in the windscreen the other week tho, from a bloody hyundai atos!

I was reading that some silica gel can sort out the rattling doors. My car has a water leak in the rain so I'm starting to think this windscreen noise is related. 

Sorry OP for changing the subject, I'll stop now!