DAB radio installation

Dear all,

I want to install a DAB radio in my Fabia and replace the original 'Dance' radio.

But I want to install an amplified ariel to get all the stations. So I will have to replace the original ariel.

This will mean removing the headliner and some of the panels/trim to be able to route the cables.

I don't have much of a clue about this, has anyone tried it. I'm nervous about damaging the interior trying to force the trim and headliners off.

Is there anything in the Haynes manual about this ?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you

Those windscreen mounted antennas don't give very good reception. You will get away with one in strong signal areas but it will drive you crazy elsewhere.

I'm in the same situation as you FabiaBob, I have a Roomster 3 with the current antenna mounted towards the rear of the vehicle due to the panoramic sunroof. I'm going to be having a go at changing the antenna when the weather warms up. I thought the worst that can happen is I have to order some replacement clips. From what I've read/found so far you have to remove the rear seat belt top mountings and remove the rear trim panels, after that I've read you can pull down the lining enough to access the antenna base nut.

I'm changing from my current windscreen mounted antenna because my DAB breaks up badly when out of town.

Thanks Aubrey, I was planning to tackle it in the warm weather too. Just don't fancy it in the winter. I planned to run the cables forwards to the front A pillar then down to behind the dash. I was hoping the Haynes manual would show where the clips are so I'm wedging the right place to get the panels off. I'm sure there's a knack to it, there usually it. Let me know how you get on.

Definitely wait for warmer weather. In the cold the trim is a lot more brittle and prone to cracking if pulled about. You don't need to remove the headliner completely. You can release enough of the trim at the edges and access the aerial base from the boot. Don't forget if you're fitting a new roof aerial you'll need to run cables for both the signal and one to power the signal amplifier in the aerial itself.

You can always start with a windscreen mounted antennae and see how you get on, switching to replacing the roof aerial as and when necessary. 

Screen mounted antennae are particularly prone to interference from electrical devices inside the car such as mobile phone chargers and dash cams. Also you need to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully as to placement as they can be very particular

Hi! I did this last year. Bought an OEM roof antenna from ebay for something like 80 pounds which supports FM/AM/DAB/NAV/GSM along with some FAKRA extension cables. Straight swap on my mk2 vrs. Removed two plastic clips from the back end of the roof liner which allowed me to pull down the liner enough to reach and unscrew the old antenna from the inside. Was too lazy to use a-pillars for wires, so I used the back one (c/d-pillar?), down and tucked cables under the carpet. Nice and quick job. Everything was plug and play. No additional power needed afaik, but I guess that depends on which head unit you put in (mine is an rns510/columbus). Reception is flawless.

Did the same on my wifes but only to add an rSAP aerial, as you say, quite easy to replace and run the wires. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Aslak said:

Hi! I did this last year. Bought an OEM roof antenna from ebay for something like 80 pounds which supports FM/AM/DAB/NAV/GSM along with some FAKRA extension cables. Straight swap on my mk2 vrs. Removed two plastic clips from the back end of the roof liner which allowed me to pull down the liner enough to reach and unscrew the old antenna from the inside. Was too lazy to use a-pillars for wires, so I used the back one (c/d-pillar?), down and tucked cables under the carpet. Nice and quick job. Everything was plug and play. No additional power needed afaik, but I guess that depends on which head unit you put in (mine is an rns510/columbus). Reception is flawless.