Fair price?

Let me start by apologising in advance if this is frowned upon or against site rules.  I'm not actually listing the car for sale, but instead asking if the my WBAC evaluation sounds reasonable...

Before you shout out "no, don't sell to them, it's a rip off", let me explain a bit more.

I know I could probably sell the car for £5500 or so, but I have been very open and honest on here about the issues I've had with the car.  The car is 83000 miles old, will soon need a new clutch, battery, and a set of coil packs.  Then, there's the problem I've been trying to fix since the Summer when the Shark map highlighted that the car is not boosting properly.  All the usual things were checked (boost leaks, N75, DV, oil leaks, fuel filter/pump...) and/or replaced and it was left in a state where the cause was still unknown. We suspected that the turbo was at fault but I was drew the line when it would likely be £1,000 to pull off and inspect the turbo before a repair/replacement was even considered if that indeed was the issue.  

Long story short, the car is peaking at 220bhp and is misfiring (misfire is due to me putting old coils back in when I sold the R8 reds on here, an easy fix), so I cannot comfortably sell it privately on here.  My best option is to sell it to a dealer or WBAC and let them sort it because, frankly, I've had enough of throwing money at it in the hope of fixing it.  I've got my lovely new 530e M Sport now so I just want rid...

So on to the question. WBAC valuation keeps changing, but their current price is actually the best price so far: £4,330.  Must be the time of the year, as in December they were valuing it at just over £3,000.  Now, I know I won't get that; they'll look at it and count the stone chips and car park rash (little for its age actually) and give me probably under £4,000.  

I honestly don't want to go through the faff of trying to sell it privately, especially knowing the faults.  Is ~£4k a fair enough price?

If people think I should list it, then I'll consider it, but I'll be listing it cheap with a very obvious and honest disclaimer that the car is priced low because of issues.

Edited by planehazza

I guess you know no-one can really answer that without seeing the car..................

However, I sold to Money For Your Motor, and got a reasonable price, very close to their online offer, reduced due to no fDsh.

There was a mention where dealers bid on your car and this would have been very good for me as my Audi was in top condition and everything worked.

Cannot remember the site though but it is on here somewhere regarding WBAC.

IMO you will not get anywhere near their inflated offer, especially considering their previous offer. Remember these just go straight to auction, but if yours needs considerable work then this way of selling is perhaps best option for your peace of mind.

11 minutes ago, Tilt said:

I guess you know no-one can really answer that without seeing the car..................

However, I sold to Money For Your Motor, and got a reasonable price, very close to their online offer, reduced due to no fDsh.

There was a mention where dealers bid on your car and this would have been very good for me as my Audi was in top condition and everything worked.

Cannot remember the site though but it is on here somewhere regarding WBAC.

IMO you will not get anywhere near their inflated offer, especially considering their previous offer. Remember these just go straight to auction, but if yours needs considerable work then this way of selling is perhaps best option for your peace of mind.

Thanks.  I can certainly upload pictures to show the overall condition and out but it doesn't show the driving issues etc.  

Your last point pretty much sums up my train of thought. Only this have I had to fork out another bill for £166 to replace the rear driver side hub and speed sensor, as the failed sensor was generating ABS, TPMS, and ESC errors (obviously because the systems didn't know what that wheel was doing).  I thought better that than leave the errors visible and take a massive hit on the value.  I'm already looking at losing 25% by selling to WBAC etc.  On the flipside, I'm not willing to buy a new battery, coilpacks, and then spend hundreds getting the car up to perfect health, just to get the same return in the end. Might as well take a hit now and just save the stress and get rid of the car.  I'm just thinking that a valuation of £4,300 is likely going to be nearer £3,500 by the time WBAC are done with it, and that's becoming a serious loss.

Hi Haz,

Hope your well.

Can you just walk away from the WBAC deal at any time if they start to knock you down too much or are you committed to selling to them when you meet up?  WBAC route is very convenient to get rid but you have to be prepared for the lower price.

Depends on how fast you need to sell it also. 

Its remaining MOT and honesty might get a buyer from here but not many are local to Newcastle.

Not knowing how old your car is, I think the WBAC price is fair if it has a potentially expensive fault and you are saving a lot of hassle by off-loading it to an unsuspecting buyer, if you don't declare it. I sold my excellent MkII on this forum for £3850 at 8 years old and 78K miles, ABS repaired, refurbed spotless wheels and refurbed paintwork, easily worth £4800-5000 but it had the common air con compressor fault so I declared it. Most viewers said it was a bargain with another suggesting it was too good to be true. The first to view was delighted with the condition and wanted to pay me straight after the test drive. So moral of the story is be honest and price accordingly. You won't get hassle and your conscience will be clear. 

The problem with private selling these days is all the people who don't turn up, persistently call / text with no manners,  offering peanuts, and wasting your time in the process. You could advertise with the faults privately at one price with no offers, and if that isn't successful go with WBAC. A colleague of mine did this. He had an older Ford focus, offered £350 from WBAC. Sold for £1000 privately to the first person who saw it. Your honesty in the advert will show and a potential buyer who wants of these cars at a reduced price due to the issue you are having with it could get a good deal. Having said that, it is another can of worms for someone to fault find and fix, but if priced accordingly may find someone who is willing to do that. 

Well that's just it. I'm really not looking foward to waiting for people to show up, plus it's dark all the I'm not at work, apart from weekends. I think people outside of the forum would drive the car, feel the misfires and think "what else is he hiding?".  ALL my history with this car is on here, so any member looking to buy already knows a lot of the story.  I'll pop it for sale on here with a disclaimer and see what happens.

32 minutes ago, kton200281 said:

Do you disclose to WBAC the faults out of interest? I’ve not used them before. Or is it down to them to drive and test it. 

I hadn't planned to simply because their actual price would be lower than their quote anyway. 

21 hours ago, Redfab said:

Can you just walk away from the WBAC deal at any time if they start to knock you down too much or are you committed to selling to them when you meet up? 

Yes you can. Any reason you like, until the paperwork is signed. If you state your car is good condition they (and the others) will expect it pretty much A1, but if they do not find the fault, scratch, damage or whatever, that is their problem once sold, and you check the money is in your account before you hand the keys and paperwork over. The checks and test drive will be done before this, obviously.

17 hours ago, kton200281 said:

Do you disclose to WBAC the faults out of interest? I’ve not used them before. Or is it down to them to drive and test it. 

As above, so no, let them find out any faults, so long as you are honest in what you do tell them - they send a (so called) professional to check it out. That is what he / she gets paid for.

2 minutes ago, kton200281 said:

I thought it was only misfiring on full song above 6k rpm? Will they really go to that level when they test drive it? Writing this , yes i suspect they might actually!

He will probably get away with that  if that (above 6k rpm) is the case.

11 minutes ago, Tilt said:

He will probably get away with that  if that (above 6k rpm) is the case.

I don't mind fixing that as it's a cheapish fix but it only happens when really caining it. I won't be comfortable with some else driving my property that way anyway, especially not in the winter. 

3 minutes ago, kton200281 said:

Are you going to advertise privately? You could have sold it by now if priced well for more than WBAC :)

Not listed privately apart from on here and several groups on facebook. 

Where would you recommend? 

17 minutes ago, planehazza said:

I don't mind fixing that as it's a cheapish fix but it only happens when really caining it. I won't be comfortable with some else driving my property that way anyway, especially not in the winter. 

The guy from MFYM that test drove mine was quite sensible with his driving style. Iirc he said they have to drive it two miles. Partly to see the milometer working correctly. edit. Although he forgot his trade plates.

He was a bit of a tool though, regarding his manner, and quite condescending before i made it clear i did not like BS.

Hopefully you can sell without having to use any online bulk buyers.

Edited by Tilt

I would go for gumtree but be prepared for the instant barrage of texts / one word offers - i had this when i sold my CBR600. In the end i ignored the replies such as "what wrong with car", and simply "400" or an offer without any form of contact. I had a lot of this type of responses initially but after a few days a buyer contacted me and bought the bike. You could state no texts, and wait for the phone to ring and then you can gauge if someone is serious or not from their demeanour and how inquisitive they are etc.

It is your choice re the known faults you are aware of, i think it would be wise to list them personally, as they will become apparent very quickly if someone pushes it, and this could backfire.  I would list them, and price it accordingly. At the end of the day, any money you get above WBAC is a bonus, although clearly you want it to be worthwhile and not a hassle for the sake of £100! 

13 minutes ago, kton200281 said:

I would go for gumtree but be prepared for the instant barrage of texts / one word offers - i had this when i sold my CBR600. In the end i ignored the replies such as "what wrong with car", and simply "400" or an offer without any form of contact. I had a lot of this type of responses initially but after a few days a buyer contacted me and bought the bike. You could state no texts, and wait for the phone to ring and then you can gauge if someone is serious or not from their demeanour and how inquisitive they are etc.

It is your choice re the known faults you are aware of, i think it would be wise to list them personally, as they will become apparent very quickly if someone pushes it, and this could backfire.  I would list them, and price it accordingly. At the end of the day, any money you get above WBAC is a bonus, although clearly you want it to be worthwhile and not a hassle for the sake of £100! 

That's exactly one of the concerns. A week down the line they're not happy, and I find lovely key marks down the new car.  I'm probably just going to try Evan's Halshaw / WBAC etc, see what they can officially offer first. I just want rid of it now, so I can't afford to be picky.

Edited by planehazza

Yep do as you feel most comfortable with. But i would say if you price it well you shouldn't have an issue as long as you are honest about it's problems - and that should speak volumes in itself by doing that anyway, as will show you are trying to be open and not hide anything. There are never guarantees buying privately, and with these engines anyone could be unlucky and buy one and a week later the tensioner fails on it (unless its been done by previous owner). 

Good luck whatever you decide!

On 20/01/2018 at 15:30, Stu vRS said:

Hi mate, I know this is totally off topic, but I notice you are on about selling the Octy - do you still have the injector seal tool as mentioned in other threads? Sorry for the off topic.

No, mate, sorry. I sold it a month back or so.

This car is determined to have my life.  Got it charged up and running again, but now the ABS, TC, and tire symbols are on again. VCDS says intermittent rear right wheel speed sensor.  I just paid to have that replaced less than a week ago!  Hopefully it's just a dodgy sensor or wire. I just want the car gone now.