Looking to buy an Octavia Estate vRS

Hi All,

First of all, I hope this post is allowed in this forum.

I am currently looking at purchasing my first Skoda, current situation is we are selling the wife's Beetle for something bigger. The one car that has taken my fancy is the Octavia vRS Estate. Looking around there don't seem to be much close to me but seem to be some further afield.

Now the reason for this post is I'm wanting to know if there is anything I should specifically look out for? I was all set and ready to buy one last weekend but had concerns about some advisories on it's latest MOT:

• covers and trays fitted  = Assume this just means any OEM engine covers were removed/refitted.
  • Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1) = should I be worried about this?
  • Offside Front Outer Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.5.C.1a) - Assume this just needs a CV Joint Boot Kit

If anyone can shine a light on these that would be great and also any other pointers if I end up going to view the car.

Thanks

6 hours ago, jlmo said:

• covers and trays fitted  = Assume this just means any OEM engine covers were removed/refitted.
  • Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1) = should I be worried about this?
  • Offside Front Outer Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.5.C.1a) - Assume this just needs a CV Joint Boot Kit

covers and trays fitted - MOT testers are not allowed to remove any covers or trays that are fitted so he is stating that they are fitted to cover himself in the event of anything being found underneath them that could have caused a failure

subframe corroded - probably just surface rust, again tester covering himself. A quick look will confirm

CV gaiter -  yes a boot kit will sort the issue. 

28 minutes ago, dilksie said:

covers and trays fitted - MOT testers are not allowed to remove any covers or trays that are fitted so he is stating that they are fitted to cover himself in the event of anything being found underneath them that could have caused a failure

subframe corroded - probably just surface rust, again tester covering himself. A quick look will confirm

CV gaiter -  yes a boot kit will sort the issue. 

Thanks dilksie - I'm currently sitting on the idea of that one for sale right now just in the hope something closer shows up overwise if I get impatient..I'll go and buy that one :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arrkon said:

@jlmo were you by chance looking at an 06 TFSI estate near Birmingham. A dealer sent me a video presentation of it that they said they did for a guy in Devon. 

That would be the one....well..one of the ones I was looking at.

Edited by jlmo

Ha, seemed a little to convenient. I've been and had a look over it, but think i'm erring towards a 170CR given the mileage i do in a week. Was a very tidy car, only thing i picked up on was the usual MK2 bonnet handle falling off.

Not sure if this is a silly question (probably is)... out of 2 car's I have seen, it seems one of them has a maxidot dash/clocks (both 2006 vrs).

My question is, how big is the job to swap them over? and could someone list the steps I would need to take?

Thanks

Thanks that's good to know. Just trying to think of any possible thing's I might do just so I know what can be done when looking for a car.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I am hopefully going to view a Octavia vRS at the weekend. Are there any key things I need to be checking when viewing?

Thanks

On 03/02/2018 at 18:17, Anddenton said:

Pics or it didn't happen ;-)

Here's a quick pic.. :)

Couple of things I need to sort out first then I'll take some more detailed pictures.

When driving it home yesterday, I found that the both the speakers in the front passenger door don't work. Tested the balance via the headunit and all the others work correctly.

Pulled out the headunit this morning to take a look and it seems the black cable has been snipped?? I'm going to assume this is the reason why they aren't working...

Is there anything else I should check?

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-04 at 17.41.51.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-04 at 17.16.23.jpeg