Dilksie's Octy II VRS

Been looking for a larger car to replace my faithful Golf 4 GTTDi 130 that I have had for the last 10 years and stumbled upon a very nice looking bright red Octavia VRS on the Autotrader web site. It was the perfect spec for me, Full heated leather, front and rear parking sensors, Columbus sat nav & Xenon headlights. Went to view last Saturday and put a deposit down on it. Car drove well and looking through the paperwork found out the previous owner had had a Revo stage 1 re-map which was an added bonus!!

Searching around on here it I found the previous owner was a member and had a bit of a thread here

We all like pics so here's a couple post test drive

IMG_20170311_102052.jpg

IMG_20170311_102102.jpg

Already have a list of things I would like to change or upgrade on the car....

Door Mirror Puddle Lights

GPS/GSM/DAB aerial

Bluetooth

Footwell lighting

Maxidot instruments

Multifunction steering wheel

DAB Columbus

Mud flaps

Boot liner

Whatever I can switch on with my VCDS will be done when I have the time for a play 

No doubt this list will end up longer the more time I spend on this site!!!

Started looking on everyone's favourite online auction site and picked up some cheap parts ready to upgrade....

GPS etc aerial

P1030836.JPG

Passenger Mirror with puddle lights

P1030837.JPG

Broken drivers mirror to scavenge the puddle light

P1030838.JPG

On stripping down the broken mirror I found this

P1030839.JPG

It's got the motor for electric folding!! I checked the passenger one and that is electric folding as well :)  As for the drivers one I will be able to salvage the parts and rebuild with the original one off of the car so that's another retro fit to add to the list - Folding mirrors!!

Anyway... collecting the car tonight, can't wait.

Edited by dilksie
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

That's a bit of luck with the mirrors!

I've done most of those retrofits so if you need any help drop me a pm.

Thanks, your thread has given the inspiration for the things I want to do.

So much for "I'll leave this car standard" :rolleyes: 

4 hours ago, dilksie said:

Already have a list of things I would like to change or upgrade on the car....

Door Mirror Puddle Lights

GPS/GSM/DAB aerial

Bluetooth

Footwell lighting

Maxidot instruments

Multifunction steering wheel

DAB Columbus

Mud flaps

Boot liner

Whatever I can switch on with my VCDS will be done when I have the time for a play 

No doubt this list will end up longer the more time I spend on this site!!!

Started looking on everyone's favourite online auction site and picked up some cheap parts ready to upgrade....

GPS etc aerial

P1030836.JPG

You know that aerial hasn't got DAB, don't you?

8 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

DAB ones have the black Fakra plug which isn't there on that one. Also, the actual antenna isn't there, it's just the base...

Will the original antenna not fit?

7 hours ago, Diego67 said:

You gotta colour code the grill matey !!

IMG_2581.JPG

That looks really smart and so does the splitter. Added to the list!

Got to know the car a bit more today. Activated everything I could find on VCDS so have cornering fogs, alarm beeps, etc. Thought I had sorted anti-hijack but it doesn't seem to be working so need to re-check. Decided that I would change the oil as even though it was serviced by the dealer I just couldn't trust they had used the correct oil. Good job I did this as I took well over 5ltrs out of the engine, the level was way over the full line on the dip stick. Also changed the fuel and pollen filters.

Had another delivery as well today - my bargain Octavia 3 VRS multifunction wheel As you can see it is a full column so have the stalks, look clock ring etc. I think it was a bargain at £95 delivered compared with bare steering wheels that are going for well over £200. Just need to source a new airbag for it.

P1030840.JPG

P1030841.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dilksie said:

I guess the stubby antenna on the car is not an original fit then?

Correct. It is a genuine VW item though, from the Polo 6R.

looking forward to some mods and tweaks. 

8 hours ago, Eddie-NL said:

The Octavia mk3 modules won't work on your car

If you want to fit that wheel you will need to change the buttons to superb facelift ones

Also you will need to have a maxidot to get the best from a mfsw

Thanks for that, Maxidot is on the list of wants

16 minutes ago, dilksie said:

Do you know the reason why they don't work with the car? I would have thought that all of the buttons that shape have the same function.

Octavia 2 FL uses a slower CAN system than the Octavia 3

Protocol is different

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 19:31, tubbytommy said:

Beware of switches on ebay.

They are often listed as wrong and dont work.

Use cars-equipment.com.

Thanks for the link, I've saved it for future use.

Anyway I haven't had the car a week yet and a suicidal pheasant decided the time was right as I drove on the way home with my daughter from her piano lesson. Result??? Luckily only a smashed grill (which was slightly cracked anyway so needed replacing) Could have been a lot worse if it was a couple of inches further to the right. Dread to think how much a new Xenon headlight would be

P1030846.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I updated this so thought it was time to update...

New grill centre arrived

P1030847.JPG.70ccb5a76f5b1216fe7bc9ac6ead8f89.JPG

All made up ready to fit

P1030848.JPG.3a10286c0f51bad5c460acc133016589.JPG

Gave the area of the bonnet behind the grill a quick clean

P1030849.JPG.9cab38ede9b79cce77d19f9bc7c0965c.JPG

And all fitted

P1030850.JPG.b28dac18382743d8a5f1e62004b38816.JPG

Just need a new VRS badge to finish it off (on it's way...) You can also see the new plate holders I have fitted after deciding I couldn't look at the wonky number plates any more.

Also made my 1st retrofit upgrade. After owning a couple of VW's I noticed the lack of damping on the grab handles so a quick search on here found this thread

A Mk5 Golf in the local scrappy was relieved of these

P1030842.JPG.eec4956e73ea2e38bee3e00af93dee30.JPG

Which I stripped down to get this part from them

P1030845.JPG.a7744a24022144952c4317e47aab5da7.JPG

Half an hour later and there is no more annoying thud when you release a grab handle :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a bit of an update. After fitting the replacement grill centre I just needed to fit a new badge. I bought a bolt on version from ebay 

P1030974.JPG.560e4a06c7f71c9a95d83fda9f5ebf04.JPG 

However once fitted it sat in the wrong place so ended up using the original and sticking it to the grill

P1030976.JPG.bbde1e13c88cb7a876d3eee29fac3e1e.JPG

After noticing the air con wasn't blowing cold and having a low pressure fault on the VCDS scan I too the car for a regas only to be told that it wasn't low pressure, it was completely empty!! A leaking condenser was diagnosed so I replaced it. Forgot to take pics during but here it is all fitted

P1030997.JPG.c23e67de849e37b52413aeeebe6d438e.JPG

Back for a regas and test and all is cool in the air con department now :cool: 

IMG_20170413_091632_1_zpsdejlzgwj.jpg

Bought a boot liner from ebay and fitted it

P1030996.JPG.af9b9e4d68f42c371c243a070e6e0121.JPG

Sadly it is about 20mm too narrow so I had to cut some extra slots for the load lashing points

P1030995.JPG.fe25dbfe6ad0a08762ef4d73ed07e08f.JPG

Still it's not bad for 16 quid and will protect the boot carpet. Decided to try and make a mat to cover the rear seat backs when they are folded so using some rubber sheeting I had in the garage I got cutting. Turned out OK

P1030998.JPG.6676efb8a266424201e2582631d0219c.JPG

Also decided to cut a piece to save the rear bumper when loading and unloading the boot

P1030999.JPG.7834b338682619250e71adbe0d6dd7d5.JPG

Other than that I have just been enjoying the car, going round touching in the various stone chips prior to me attacking it with the machine polisher and getting to the bottom of my BCM fault (see other threads in this forum) which is now resolved with a replacement unit. Bluetooth is now fitted and working and I have all the parts for my folding mirrors with puddle lights retrofit, a new lead so I can fit the proper GPS aerial and today I took delivery of a maxidot cluster:biggrin:

Edited by dilksie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not much has happened on the Octy front over the last couple of weeks bat the paperwork to say the car is officially mine came through the other week so got my private plate transferred over

P1040005.JPG.c09bca28349a64a64e577723722cef98.JPG

Hopefully the weather stays nice and dry for another week so I can get the power fold door mirrors, gps aerial & footwell lighting kit fitted to the car. Would have done it this bank holiday weekend but I am working.