vRS to Sportline

Hi guys, I've popped over from the Octavia forums for some advice....I currently own a vRS diesel estate and I'm starting to get the itch to change cars after nearly 4 years in my current Mk3. I've been looking at a Superb Sportline estate for a little while now on and off and I notice at the minute Skoda have got a big finance contribution incentive on the go.

I currently do about 10k a year with mainly a  short 5-6 mile round trip journeys to take my dogs out to exercise them twice daily and a 40 mile round trip commute to work, so i'm seriously considering going to the 220ps petrol rather than the 190ps diesel this time because of the short journeys I'm doing and the relative low mileage.

What are peoples thoughts on the two engine choices? Is the 150ps petrol even worth considering? I will endeavour to test drive in the near future but some real world and long term experience of these engines would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, 

Matt

I have the 220ps but in L&K with DSG. The engine is very smooth, isn't slow to rev when asked and in my opinion has more than enough horses for everyday safe driving on our UK roads. I am averaging about 35 mpg on mostly short (30-40 miles) rural journeys. I got 46 on a recent long journey of mostly dual c/way and motorway by driving 'sensibly'.

I had the 150 diesel before this one and that was much harsher typical low down grunt hitting the floor at low revs etc and I never averaged above 40-45 over the time I had it (18 months).

There are quite a few threads here about the 190 diesel and many are not that complimentary, mighty be worth a quiet read.

• Like 1

I did exactly this. 

The S3 is miles ahead on build quality. 

Handling, well it’s a bigger car so maybe not quite as good, but I’m impressed with my Sportline. 

I have 150 oiled burner in DSG and day to day in sports mode I can’t really tell the difference. 

Go go for a test drive, you’ll be signing on the dotted line. 

I've a 280 sportline combi comming in March.

In looking for it we've test driven a 190 diseasel, 220 petrol and a 280 petrol (this one in an L&K).  I've never owned a diseasel so take this in that light, but I found the 190 a bit noisier (although still quiet-ish) and a bit lacking in urge compared to the 220 we'd just stepped out of. We are lucky in that we are relatively low mileage users and one drive in the 280 was enough for us to go with that, but I'd say the 220 would be a lovely car. We went 280 more for the 4wd as I just felt the 220 was a bit scrabbly pulling away. If they did a 220 4wd I think that would have been my first choice.

hi K9matt -  I had a similar itch to you.. mkIII vrs diesel, and decided I wanted a 4x4 petrol - that pushed me to the sportline.. I test drove the 190 diesel, and it didn't cut it - the slight power gain did not make up for the weight gain over the vRS, and given the more "boat-like" feel to the drive, it just felt a bit gutless. 

I went with the 280, knowing that it was the best way to feel like a vRS... I'm still running in, so haven't ragged it - and actually, when it's ticking along it feels pretty tame  (the petrol DSG is more skittish around the rev range, trying to find the right power output to match your demand)...   e.g. for a gentle overtake in ECO mode, it is actually pretty reserved, does't feel anywhere like as quick as the vRS and sticks around under 3500RPM, and sometimes I've been thinking "really, is this all it does?"

BUT - if you push the throttle enough to say "now, c'mon, I really want to get past!", then everything changes.. before you know it you are in the 5000 - 6000RPM band, and the tiger is unleashed..
man, it roars, it flies, and suddenly it feels like this is this is vRS's proper-grown-up more-ninja big brother...  :)        As I say, I'm still running in, so this has only happened 3 or 4 times, more by accident than design (still learning the throttle), but it's impressive.. 

I would say DCC is a must if you want any memories of the vRS - in sport mode the harder suspension communicates more like the vRS and obviously gives more confidence in the corners. The softest settings actually make me somewhat anxious on some of our local, rural, badly-cambered scottish corners, though they are a delight on the motorway or main A-roads where you're happy with a relaxed drive and the "secret" ability to pass almost anything you encounter. 

biggest issue with it for me is the shock of going from a regular 45 - 50mpg  to 27 - 30mpg (so far) 

• Like 1

think there's an issue with throttle response on the 190 superb that can be solved by changing a coding adaption with VCDS . The extra weight is minimal, both cars are 1400 odd kgs- the difference between carrying a small passenger or not. The extra 20nm torque should negate that

1 hour ago, carrock said:

think there's an issue with throttle response on the 190 superb that can be solved by changing a coding adaption with VCDS . The extra weight is minimal, both cars are 1400 odd kgs- the difference between carrying a small passenger or not. The extra 20nm torque should negate that

superb goes up to 1700kg depending on model/spec, octy 1600 - nearly 100kg in it..  i.e. a large passenger..
https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/superb/kerb-weight/

https://www.carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/octavia/kerb-weight/

my vrs184 estate was around 1430kg, my superb sportline 280 is around 1575kg with similar toys...  again - closer to two people rather than one small one..

I went from a Petrol Octy VRS mkiii to the Superb Sportline 280 hatch and I have to say it doesn't feel anywhere near as lively as the Octy. Fuel consumption is nowhere near as good either. The extra weight is part of it, plus the Superb is a lot quieter. The DCC is a bit of a step towards the VRS handling, but it does feel a lot bigger,in use. Superb is full of toys and can be super relaxing to drive. I am struggling with a comfortable seat position though, even after 4 months of ownership, which is odd, as the seats appear so similar.

It is a lovely car, the Superb, but it has a different, softer , character than the VRS.

Personally I miss my Octavia, and I curse the ratbags who stole it!

• 3 weeks later...

Matt, 

I’ve got a 150 tsi se model. I think 0-60 is around 8 secs but not 100% sure on that. On a mix of 60% motorway/40% town driving I’m getting a computer average of 47mpg. 

It it may not feel quick enough for you if your used to Octavia Vrs. 

That being said, I love the car and can’t believe how quiet, smooth and comfortable it is. The engine is a cracker! 

Just depends how much you want/need more speed ! 

The other thing, the Se model doesn’t look sporty at all in my opinion, has the smaller 17” wheels - as a result though it’s a smoother ride ! 

Depends what your  preferences are ! 

Dave. 

• Thanks 1