Boost Leak after fitting FMIC

Hi all, got a boost leak on the Fab, all the hoses are clamped up tight however on Boost there’s a loud sort of whooshing sound, much more apparent when the windows are closed! The MAP sensor hole on the Boost pipe is far larger than the MAP sensor itself, would this cause the issue? I’ll attach a video but not sure if you can hear it, easiest way to describe it is like pulling the bung out of an air bed and the air whooshes out

Edited by JaamesVRS

Ahhh okay won’t be using that then! Did you see the video? My Boost gauge is still sitting around the 25psi mark so it isn’t a huge boost leak is it not? Used to be around the 27psi area before hand, I haven’t had chance to get to a long open road yet to see what it settles at or drops at? Possibly the sound makes it sound worse than it is car still pulls well! Just not as well 

Edited by JaamesVRS

24 minutes ago, JaamesVRS said:

Ahhh okay won’t be using that then! Did you see the video? My Boost gauge is still sitting around the 25psi mark so it isn’t a huge boost leak is it not? Used to be around the 27psi area before hand, I haven’t had chance to get to a long open road yet to see what it settles at or drops at? Possibly the sound makes it sound worse than it is car still pulls well! Just not as well 

I didn't watch it, not really a 'visual' learner I'm afraId although I liked your usage of metaphorical onomatopoeia, very effective.

A higher pitched hiss denotes a smaller leak which is probably why the car still pulls well, the turbo can keep up with the pressure loss.

Another question if I build myself s Boost Leak tester am I able to connect it up to where the flexi hose from the air filter attaches to the alloy TIP? Instead of faffing around down the turbo end can I connect it up top and pressurise that way? 

Just now, sepulchrave said:

I didn't watch it, not really a 'visual' learner I'm afraId although I liked your usage of metaphorical onomatopoeia, very effective.

A higher pitched hiss denotes a smaller leak which is probably why the car still pulls well, the turbo can keep up with the pressure loss.

It isn’t high pitched like an old school hob kettle whistle it’s more of a whoosh sound, like I said like an air bed, or a Lilo when your deflating that, wouldn’t say it was high pitched like a kettle or balloon 

Woo boo, Boost Leak fixed, the boost pipes come with a MAP sensor attached I didn’t know if it was 4 bar sensor or whatever so put my sensor in place to make sure, not realising that it had a reducer plate attached to it so it takes up the 18mm hole in the Boost pipe reducing it to 12mm, Boost Leak seems to be gone! However we’re only holding 25ish psi according to my gauge so possibly got a small boost leak somewhere else or the VNT isn’t set up properly! Need to find out which if I find someone with VCDS lol

54 minutes ago, JaamesVRS said:

Woo boo, Boost Leak fixed, the boost pipes come with a MAP sensor attached I didn’t know if it was 4 bar sensor or whatever so put my sensor in place to make sure, not realising that it had a reducer plate attached to it so it takes up the 18mm hole in the Boost pipe reducing it to 12mm, Boost Leak seems to be gone! However we’re only holding 25ish psi according to my gauge so possibly got a small boost leak somewhere else or the VNT isn’t set up properly! Need to find out which if I find someone with VCDS lol

What gauge?

31 minutes ago, JaamesVRS said:

A blue one :D Can’t remember what gauge it is, but before the turbo was rebuilt was reading around the 27-30psi mark, now it’s sitting on or just below 25psi 

Clearances may be little tighter on the new CHRA, your old one had bushes like a wizards sleeve remember.

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

Clearances may be little tighter on the new CHRA, your old one had bushes like a wizards sleeve remember.

yeah that’s true, but why would that create less boost? If anything should be more boost 

27 minutes ago, JaamesVRS said:

yeah that’s true, but why would that create less boost? If anything should be more boost 

Well the gauge isn't really to be trusted but it's possible that your actuator rod is not set up exactly the same as before.