Dealer said "no" to 505.01 to 507.00 oil for PD.

bmbmdmb

Today, I was in Doncaster picking up some parts for car.

On display was the new longlife 3 made by Castrol , SLX with 5w30 504.00 507.00 vag spec.

I ve posted about this before and 507.00 has superseded 505.01, apparently?

The parts dept and technician both said not to use 507.00 in the fabia pd. 

What's your opinion on this?

My previous post was about Quantum Longlife 3 5w30 507.00 use which I was told would be fine in a PD.

I was hoping to simplify the number of engine oils in garage. Quantum was for octavia 3 originally.

I gave the parts guy my number plate when posing the oil question and was surprised that the computer 'said no'.

When I pushed him he got the service technician who said the previous use of 505.01 in my car would not be compatible with the use of longlife 3 whether castrol or quantum. He mentioned that the engine might sludge up.

I then persisted and mentioned the low saps qualities of longlife 3 and he said I would have to totally drain the oil and engine flush before using. 

Should I be using 5w40 platinum 505.01 in the fabia or longlife 3 507.00?

Upto now I've used 505.01 shell 5w30, some commentators on forums have said either 30 or 40 is ok as long as oil is 505.01 . I've since read old posts that 5w40 is better than 30 as 5w40 was original spec until 5w30 505.01 oils became available 2006 or 2008 year on.

Edited by bmbmdmb

Me too. When you start reading enough forums there are a lot of anecdotes and recommendations but, no backup or primary references. That worries me. If 507.00 is so good then why is 505.01 still on market? Ie quantum platinum 5w40.

Edited by bmbmdmb

15 hours ago, bmbmdmb said:

Me too. When you start reading enough forums there are a lot of anecdotes and recommendations but, no backup or primary references. That worries me. If 507.00 is so good then why is 505.01 still on market? Ie quantum platinum 5w40.

The Quantum 507.00 spec oil is more expensive and is the only oil you can use on some the newer VAG diesel engines with DPFs, it just happens to be backwards compatible with vehicles requiring the 505.01 spec. There is really no need to complicate things any further, the Quantum Platinum can be had for as little as £16 delivered from eBay and also on offer at TPS from time to time.

Recommendations are from the above websites...

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL

ENGINE ASZ (PD)

QUANTUM PLATINUM PLUS 5W-30

QUANTUM PLATINUM 5W-40
QUANTUM LONGLIFE III 5W-30

QUANTUM LONGLIFE II 0W-30
My engine is BLT and both sites state ASZ. Both PD engines though.
No mention of the Castrol slx longlife5w30 though or rebranded?
Edited by bmbmdmb

I don't see it as a problem. There is no doubt about 505.01 spec oils for PD engines. There is confusion and perhaps unjustified doubt about 507 spec oils. In addition 505.01 is usually cheaper than 507. Seems like a win win to use 505.01. That's what goes in my ASZ engine in practice.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 14:56, xman said:

:dull: Well, that's the problem.......

Put your reg no in here and see what Quantum says

https://quantumparts.co.uk

Or Castrol

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/search

Just put my reg number in the quantum link and it reckons my engine is an ASZ when I'm certain its a BLT ?? Would this make any difference ?

Won't make a difference. Can easily check by looking for at the lable on the cambelt cover or should be in the boot on the build sticker.

Either is fine 505.01 or 507.00 is fine. I'd personally go for 5w40 as it's thicker and will give the cam lobes a bit more protection. 

This will be more than adequate. 

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-98583-fuchs-titan-gt1-xtl-5w-40-synthetic-engine-oil-service-pack-5-litres.aspx?vehicleid=17798&yearfilter=2007