TPMS flashing then steady, no codes

kelper

On my 2017 Yeti Outdoor 2.0 4x4 DSG L+K I have had the TPMS light flash and then go steady.  I checked the tyre pressures and all were OK but a little unmatched, 2.2, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4.  I set them all to 2.3 as they were warm.  After pressing 'SET' on the dashboard and driving off the light cleared after a minute's driving but flashed and then steady later on the same journey.  After reading a lot on the forums, I realised I had not heard a 'bong'.   This morning, before starting the engine, I pressed 'SET' until I heard the bong.  After ten miles' driving the alarm has not returned.

I suspect an intermittent fault on an ABS sensor.  I have an OBDLink LX (Bluetooth) dongle and use OBDLink software on my Android phone but there are no 'codes' stored.  When I start OBDLink, it offers two ECU's - engine or transmission.

My question is, would any ABS codes show up?  Or do I need some 'add-ons'?

7 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

I suspect the tyre pressures were not as they were when last set, so gave a warning.

Check and set when cold. 

I have had the car one month and driven thousands of miles without changing the tyre pressures, so it's strange that I get a fault yesterday.  The flashing means sensor fault, not tyre diameter change as far as I understand it.

I have set them 'cold' this morning.

Edited by kelper

So you never checked them when you picked up the car, set them or the TPMS.

Just trusted to how the car was handed over to you!

Just as well you got a warning then. 

Plug them in and see if they show anything. If they don't, find a local member with VCDS to do the same.

That should show if firstly there are any codes stored and if your kit can pick up on the same ones are VCDS can.

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Plug them in and see if they show anything. If they don't, find a local member with VCDS to do the same.

That should show if firstly there are any codes stored and if your kit can pick up on the same ones are VCDS can.

Thanks!

Leads you to suspect the TPMS was doing it's job in telling you the circumference of a tyre or more than one was not still as when first set.

1 minute ago, AwaoffSki said:

Leads you to suspect the TPMS was doing it's job in telling you the circumference of a tyre or more than one was not still as when first set.

The manual says,

"System fault

(TPMS symbol) flashes for approximately 1 minute and remains lit – there may be a fault in the tyre pressure monitoring system."

This is why I am asking if there might be stored code that I can't see.

I have ordered a Ross-Tech VCDS and will update this topic when I have had time to use it.  The Scantool.net forum was more helpful; a member told me,

"The OBDLink app and OBDwiz, by default, only read OBD-II (emissions related) data and error codes from OBD-II compliant vehicles.  However, there may be other programs or apps for your vehicle, that specialize in connecting to TPMS or other non-OBD-II ECUs."

I haven't been able to find any apps that 'see' more than two ECUs.

FYI

I downloaded the maintenance manual and it says........

The tyre inspection display operates via the ABS speed sensors, which compare the wheel rotations and through this also the wheel circumferences. In case of a change in the wheel circum‐ ference, the warning light in the dash panel insert lights up.

♦ Flashing light means that a new basic setting has not yet been performed

New basic setting • Flashing warning light for the tyre inflation display in the dash panel insert – Switch on ignition.

– Press the button for tyre pressure inspection -arrow B- and the TCS or TCS/ESP button -arrow A- for more than 2 seconds. Performing the basic setting is confirmed by an informative tone.

So, if it happens again, I'll push both buttons until I hear the bong.

According to my new VCDS

03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010

1 Fault Found:
03543 - Mechanical Malfunction in Suspension
 000 - - - Intermittent
 Freeze Frame:
 Fault Status: 00100000
 Fault Priority: 2
 Fault Frequency: 2
 Reset counter: 102
 Mileage: 7153 km
 Time Indication: 0
 Date: 2018.02.04
 Time: 11:28:18
 Freeze Frame:
 Count: 0
 Count: 32768
 Count: 4608
 Count: 16389
 Count: 53834
 Count: 64260
----------------------------------------------

Can anyone, please, tell me what this means?

32 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Thanks for your research.

But that's from 2011.  I'll monitor and see if it happens again.

• 1 year later...
On 12/02/2018 at 17:20, kelper said:

According to my new VCDS

03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010

1 Fault Found:
03543 - Mechanical Malfunction in Suspension
 000 - - - Intermittent
 Freeze Frame:
 Fault Status: 00100000
 Fault Priority: 2
 Fault Frequency: 2
 Reset counter: 102
 Mileage: 7153 km
 Time Indication: 0
 Date: 2018.02.04
 Time: 11:28:18
 Freeze Frame:
 Count: 32768
 Count: 4608
 Count: 16389
 Count: 53834
 Count: 64260
----------------------------------------------

Can anyone, please, tell me what this means?

@kelper

Got precisely this issue (checked through VCDS and manifesting itself as flashing TPMS warning which then clears) on our 2017 Yeti which funnily enough we've had for about a month.

Did this just go away on its own for you after your resets?  Or did you take it back to the dealers for a fix? 

I have cleared the DSTs, checked tyre pressures and reset TPMS.