ELM327 adapter with on off switch?

snowathlete

I bought this ELM327 adapter so I could use the VAG DPF App to monitor my DPF. Works great except the on off button does not work. I want one with an on off button so that I dont have to pull it out and plug it in every time I want to use it.

Vgate iCar 2 Mini OBD2 II Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner Torque Android(Black+Orange) 

Anyone able to recommend a non-expensive alternative that works fully with the app and has a working on off switch?

OBDLinkwill automatically sleep when you turn off the ignition.  The LED flashes occasionally but so does the LED for the burglar alarm and that does not drain the battery.

It's pricey in UK but cheap in USA.  Maybe you can get someone to mail you one?

Edited by kelper

Unfortunately no one in the US to send me one. I used to have relatives there but sadly not any longer. So OBDLink not a viable option for me unfortunately.

The one I bought does correctly go to sleep when not in use, I just need to be able to turn it back on again without unplugging it.

Edited by snowathlete

You say the on/off button does not work.  Did you try holding it down for about 5 seconds?  Just guessing as I don't know anything about this unit.

Any good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KW903-ODB2-II-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-Reader-Android-ELM327-Bluetooth-Auto-Sleep-/112078731572?clk_rvr_id=1433141586995&rmvSB=true

The ads say your model has autosleep after 30 mins.  You could always email the support guy at 

For Technical Support:

Mr. Dong  [email protected] 

Remember, too, that opening a car door is enough to wake up the dongle.

Edited by kelper

17 minutes ago, kelper said:

You say the on/off button does not work.  Did you try holding it down for about 5 seconds?  Just guessing as I don't know anything about this unit.

Any good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KW903-ODB2-II-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-Reader-Android-ELM327-Bluetooth-Auto-Sleep-/112078731572?clk_rvr_id=1433141586995&rmvSB=true

Yes, I tried lots of things, 5 seconds, 10 seconds etc. No function from the button at all.

There's a lot of clones that don't work out there so it might be alright but might not. I'm hoping for a recommendation from someone who's tried a particular device first and has confirmed it functions.

1 hour ago, snowathlete said:

Unfortunately no one in the US to send me one. I used to have relatives there but sadly not any longer. So OBDLink not a viable option for me unfortunately.

The one I bought does correctly go to sleep when not in use, I just need to be able to turn it back on again without unplugging it.

15 minutes ago, kelper said:

How do you know yours doesn't sleep after 30 minutes?  :blush

It looks like it's not going to sleep that's the problem - it's waking it up again.

• Like 1

Please can you explain?  If it wakes up, it must have gone to sleep.  It's hard to know as just opening the door to look may be waking up the OBD system and that wakes up the dongle when it sees network traffic.  Have you experienced a low battery voltage in the mornings or are you not leaving it plugged in in case it flattens the battery?

I'm not calling you out, just interested in finding a solution.

ok, here's the issue. I plug the adapter in and it works, comes on automatically and I can use it. All good. Then I leave it plugged in and stop using it. It goes to sleep. Then I want to use it then next day so I press the button on the adapter and nothing happens. I can't get it to turn on via the button. The only way is to unplug the adapter from the car and plug it back in again, which is obviously a nuisance and the whole reason I bought one with a button to turn it on. Problem seems to be that the button doesn't work.

I use a VI monitor digital dash on my VRS. It goes to sleep but still causes a drain also wanted to be able to keep the glove box in place so bought this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VUVJSS8/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_-mxEAbQBP4WFD

Because of the right angle I can keep it attached all the time and the switch I have been able to fix to the hole/handle space. Been fine for 2 years. This isn't the exact one I bought as the one I got isn't sold anymore, but same sort of item.

Edited by Munfred
  • Like 2

@snowathlete I've got one of these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-Bluetooth-ELM327-OBD2-Car-Auto-Scanner-Tool-Switch-OBDII-CAN-BUS-Android/121818045710

Seems to work well and the On/Off button works (At least the LED's on it turn on/off - I haven't left it connected for a long period of time yet)

Edited by jlmo

1 hour ago, jlmo said:

@snowathlete I've got one of these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-Bluetooth-ELM327-OBD2-Car-Auto-Scanner-Tool-Switch-OBDII-CAN-BUS-Android/121818045710

Seems to work well and the On/Off button works (At least the LED's on it turn on/off - I haven't left it connected for a long period of time yet)

One of the reviews states that it does not fully seat on the OBD2 port on an Octavia II unless you remove the casing. Have you found any problems?

1 hour ago, Liger1956 said:

One of the reviews states that it does not fully seat on the OBD2 port on an Octavia II unless you remove the casing. Have you found any problems?

I'll try to have a look tonight/tomorrow for you. I've only just got my Octavia II and haven't used it in that yet. Had been using it in my golf previously with no issues.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2018 at 12:37, jlmo said:

I'll try to have a look tonight/tomorrow for you. I've only just got my Octavia II and haven't used it in that yet. Had been using it in my golf previously with no issues.

you had a chance to check yet jlmo?

On 14/02/2018 at 00:49, snowathlete said:

you had a chance to check yet jlmo?

really soory for the late reply. Just had a quick look and it doesn't look like it will smoothly go in.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know jlmo.

It turns out that the one I have it is not an on/off switch (despite the logo on the front) it is apparently a reset switch, not that I can understand why you'd need one. So I think I'm going to get one of those extension cables with the switch.

Edited by snowathlete