Rear window getting dirty

kelper

Mildly amused by the complaints to sack the designer because the back end of a Yeti is a dirt magnet. Really? Are we going to complain about the (front) windscreen only staying clean on dirty roads where the wipers wipe...?

Sucks the snow in too. That's life ;)

BJLVBP.jpg

DHBvH9.jpg

• Like 3

Guest FurryFriend
On 20/02/2018 at 13:01, oldstan said:

Starting to wonder if this has all got a bit ... what's the word I'm looking for? ...

The word you're looking for..... Is Anal ! 

REALLY.... How difficult is it, to just put  5l of water, or even  a squeezy bottle and a cloth or sponge in the car, and clean the glass and lights off occasionally. Or are drivers these days so completely, utterly, totally, and absolutely bone idle and LAZY that they just can't be bothered? Or will it crack their nail polish? 

Unbelievable stupidity trying to blame the design. Flat back vehicles get dirty, so if that's a problem, clearly you didn't do your homework before buying the car. 

They spend £20,000 + on a new car........ Water is pretty well free.... and if you're driving around in the current winter without the ability to replenish your screenwash occasionally, then that's your own stupid fault really. 

Sorry....... Gotta go and wrap the car  in clingfilm.......... B)

Edited by FurryFriend

Clingfilm... What a fantastic idea! 

I too am bemused by the suggestion that the shape of the car could be considered a design fault. Before my Yeti (and the Rapid Spaceback before that) I had a 2010 Vauxhall Astra. If I tried to operate the windscreen washers when they were frozen, the fuse under the bonnet would blow in order to protect the pump. The same fuse also operated the electronic boot release. So if it was cold and you tried to clear the windscreen of salt spray, the fuse would  blow, preventing you from clearing the windscreen until you had stopped to replace it. You also only had access to the boot via the back seats, which wasn't fun if you had something like a pushchair in there.

Vauxhall technicians knew all about this and I was offered a free fuse when I first took the car in to query the problem. It got so bad that I used to drive around with a packet of fuses and a screwdriver in the glove box. The best solution, of course, was to use the super duper -40 screenwash undiluted to prevent freezing in the first place. The most annoying thing about all of this was that the Astra I had was one of the very last 'H' shape models, so I had to put up with all this in the knowledge that Vauxhall/GM were aware of the issue throughout 8 or so years of production and didn't bother to do anything about it.

Now that, my friends, is a proper design flaw. Dirty back end? Don't make me laugh!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. Here's one who lives outside UK. Northeast Europe, Estonia to be precise.

Yes, bottom corners of the doors do rust and rear window DOES get dirty.

Here"s a question. Is there a fix to that window problem? Some custom details? (Tuning etc). Or is it just a problem we have to live with?

Please excuse my english, it's not my first language.

The only fix to the dirty rear window problem is not to drive it when it is wet. 
The aerodynamics create a low pressure area by the window and hatch, and therefore anything thrown up by the rear wheels will get sucked into that area.

When towing one of my trailers the rear end stays fairly clean as the shape of the trailer is pretty much the same as the car so the airflow passes over and under the car rather than round the back.

car-trailer-boro-6-8-x-3-8-top-cover-80cm.jpg