Rear window getting dirty

kelper

1 hour ago, ktm690rr said:

Rust on the bottom trailing corner of the front doors is a given, its a Skoda, mine's showed it from 3 months, however on the subject of mudflaps, I do believe they help to reduce the amount of gravel/stone strike.

M

Sorrry, but that isn't true. My old one was over 5 years old when I p-ex'ed it and there was no rust there, or anywhere else. And one thing I'm not is a cleaning fanatic.

11 minutes ago, kelper said:

But, oddly, the Yeti actually has quite a good drag coefficient.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't that low pressure area immediately behind the car, it just means that the design of the aerodynamics takes that into account.

And as has been said by others, if the rear screen is dirty you use the washer, and if it uses some water, so what? It isn't exactly expensive. When I was going to work in the winter time I probably filled my reservoir at least once a week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sad555 said:

But how many times were the doors repaired?

Front never and they had NO rust on them, and the rear ones were resprayed just after I bought it due to the zinc inclusions and had none either.

Perhaps my regular addition of thick mud helped! :D

7 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

And as has been said by others, if the rear screen is dirty you use the washer, and if it uses some water, so what? It isn't exactly expensive. When I was going to work in the winter time I probably filled my reservoir at least once a week.

Last month even neat screenwash was freezing in the front jets.  If i had put concentrated winter screenwash in I would have used at least three litres a day and that is quite pricey.

Sadly, I was using  a screenwash rated to minus 10 but consumption was zero!

This was in the far north of Scotland where temps were well below freeizing and down to -10c and beyond at times.

Wonder if somebody from Scandinavia or Eastern Europe can give a solution to this problem as I think it gets quite cold there and they may also have had this issue (not that I’ve ever seen it posted before).......ps I drove a van for well over 30 years with only wing mirrors (not heated)for rear view,I’m just trying  to remember how I managed!

Edited by Sad555

kelper.  plenty driving in those conditions in the north of Scotland and other places need to get up behind a HGV to get some wetness off the road to help clear a screen or stop use deicer clean the screen and the likes, it is just how it is.

Other people often have no such issues, it is a funny old world.

Angel wipe when you get in a car with it enabled can be a right PITA when you need to wash / wipe the rear screen but do not want a squirt on the front freezing screen.

You can pay 80 grand plus for a Range Rover and other vehicles and still have virtually no rear vision.

And not be that well seen to those following you.

range-rover-sport-rear-three-quarters.jpg

I live in the N West highlands where we get winter weather including low temps, the car is parked with the wipers in the service position and lifted off the 'screen. I use the concentrated VAG wash, yes it might be a bit expensive for a Skoda owner to fork out, but it does the business, properly, and I have NEVER had a problem. At this time of year I carry a 4l plastic container of water in the car, not in the back and a bottle of VAG juice and as I say never a problem. As for driving behind an HGV forget it, the roads are cratered up here, you shandy drinkers who have pot holes ought to see what we have to offer, the resulting throw back of chuckies from any vehicle will spell death to any windscreen. 

M

Edited by ktm690rr
syntax
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Sorrry, but that isn't true. My old one was over 5 years old when I p-ex'ed it and there was no rust there, or anywhere else. And one thing I'm not is a cleaning fanatic.

I am on my third Skoda - 1 Octavia and 2 Yeti's - never had a trace of rust on any of them. Two friends also have Skoda's, one is on his third Yeti and the other on his second Fabia, none have had any trace of rust either. I have read about the zinc inclusion problem but have never experienced it and neither have my friends.

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Wonder if somebody from Scandinavia or Eastern Europe can give a solution to this problem as I think it gets quite cold there and they may also have had this issue (not that I’ve ever seen it posted before).......ps I drove a van for well over 30 years with only wing mirrors (not heated)for rear view,I’m just trying  to remember how I managed!

I think the colder northern climates do not suffer so much as we do. The colder the temperature then the less moisture held in the air/atmosphere. The drier weather means less wet dirt on the screen and the need for gallons of screen wash.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters
  • Like 1

Guest FurryFriend

On long journeys at this time of year we carry 2x 5L of water and a sponge. Doesn't take 2 minutes when parked up for a break on longer journeys to clear the screen, and lights. 

Judging by some of the absolutely filthy cars we see on the A1 up here,  the Yeti isn't too bad. No design fault, most cars this shape get dirty at the rear. Just lazy owners who will spend thousands  on a nice car but are too idle to wash it. 

4 hours ago, Sad555 said:

I don’t see it as a major problem really,the back screen gets dirty like all hatchbacks ,there is a rear wash/wipe ,problem solved just live with it.

Depends on the shape. The rear screen on my Superb II twin door doesn't get dirty (although the numerplate does!)  - good job as it isn't fitted with a rear wash/wipe!

35 minutes ago, Expatman said:

I am on my third Skoda - 1 Octavia and 2 Yeti's - never had a trace of rust on any of them. Two friends also have Skoda's, one is on his third Yeti and the other on his second Fabia, none have had any trace of rust either. I have read about the zinc inclusion problem but have never experienced it and neither have my friends.

I think it depends on the metal of the day.

My old 2003 Superb I was prone to a bit of rust (nothing terminal!) - sills, front wings (wheel arches), rear wheel arches especially near sills, boot number plate lights holes - mechanically great though

2014 Superb II perfect thus far

2001 Octavia - amazing condition re rust considering age but Ive seen newer rusty ones!

• Like 1

I'm more prepared now.  I leave the screenwash reservoir just above the alarm level.  If the temps plummet I can then add concentrated winter screenwash and it won't get too diluted.  Something like Comma Xstream which protects to -65 neat, -25 at 50/50 and -9 at 25/75.  Comma all seasons is good for -26 neat and -10 at 50/50.  Granville sub zero is good for -30 neat and only £7.42 for 5L.  **

** thanks to lawnmowerman for this tip

Edited by kelper

KTM690rr,

sometimes you just have it so mild up your way compared to other parts of Scotland.

Not 7 day averages of 0*oC very often in any winter where some parts have 5-7 weeks in a winter.

Sometimes like 2010 5 weeks continuous.

This winter not a single Cold Weather Payment Trigger for IV26,  yet 4 already for PH22 & DD8.  2 for PH1.

Great being in the more moist sea air. Nice having the EU funded roads for the fish lorries. Lovely place to live, Fuel supplement as well.

http://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk 

http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations 

http://trafficscotland.org/map/index.aspx?type=16 

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

KTM690rr,

sometimes you just have it so mild up your way compared to other parts of Scotland.

Not 7 day averages of 0*oC very often in any winter where some parts have 5-7 weeks in a winter.

Sometimes like 2010 5 weeks continuous.

This winter not a single Cold Weather Payment Trigger for IV26,  yet 4 already for PH22 & DD8.  2 for PH1.

Great being in the more moist sea air. Nice having the EU funded roads for the fish lorries. Lovely place to live, Fuel supplement as well.

http://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk 

http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations 

http://trafficscotland.org/map/index.aspx?type=16 

I agree it is a nice place to live, and plenty of the best salmon fishing in Eu nearby, other aspects like wet weather and the high cost of all commodities are the downside, but hey I'm not complaining, my glass is half full.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

What a stupid comment!

What a stupid attitude! The author of the problem is Skoda design team that didn't test enough the body of the car in the wind tunnel to see what side effects has the shape of the body. Now people have issues because of their **ss poor job. Yet they are willing to pay extra money (for an already expensive car) from their own pockets to "fix" somehow the problem blindly. Who is the smart one? You, of course, with your very helping and constructive remarks...

True, but the built a concept then produced and flogged less than 700,000 globally of the Original & the Face Lift and now production has stopped 

and the  model is discontinued. 

So what ever was happening and any design failure has been done, and now is a bit late crying over a dirty back end. 

Just wipe it as often as required and maybe use 'Water Repellent on the rear glass and see if that helps some.

Edited by AwaoffSki

19 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

The author of the problem is Skoda design team that didn't test enough the body of the car in the wind tunnel to see what side effects has the shape of the body.

They are designing a practical car not a speed record winning vehicle.
There are going to be pros and cons with any design but I like most others here think they got it about perfect.
There are extra wind tunnel developments for the Greenline models to give a better drag coefficient.
I cannot see your logic in your comments.
It's like saying a F1 car is designed badly because it does not have 4 seats, horses for courses.

• Like 2

VW Group do not do well with Rear Wind Deflectors on some models.

Recalls on the double sided taped on plastic tat because of them detaching.  Golf R and others.

Front A Pillar trim has a current 'Safety' recall on thew new KAROQ.

'May detach in Sub Zero Temperature conditions'.

Wind Tunnel and Global testing sometimes has stuff signed off and only once used in the rear world are issues discovered.

Like Filler Flaps freezing closed, with the Simply Clever Ice Scraper in.

(Now a Tyre Depth Gauge going in there as well with the Face Lift Fabia,  hopefully the face lift has the Filler Flap freezing issues addressed.)

Edited by AwaoffSki

34 minutes ago, Urrell said:

They are designing a practical car not a speed record winning vehicle.

A wind tunnel is used for a lot more than that. That is why you're missing the logic in my comment.