New owner here - Advice after having Mk3 VRS Estate lowered.

Hi folks, first post but I've been looking in and out of the site for a month or 2 for information on the Octavia.

Last month I bought my first Skoda...a blue 64 Mk3 Octavia VRS Estate. I wasn't even in the market for one but noticed it on a forecourt and loved the look of it. It was very clean and only 30k on the clock.

Since buying it I have been very pleasantly surprised indeed. The build quality, performance, styling etc are far above what I expected. It was to be a bit of work horse, taking the muddy dog about but I've since become a bit precious of it, to my wife's slight annoyance, ha.

Anyway, the only bugbear I had with the styling was I thought it sat a bit high. I've not lowered a car for nearly 20 years and never thought I would again but after checking this site I stumped for the subtle Eibach Pro spring kit...20mm front, 10 rear.

A 'mate' fitted the springs today at his garage. Car looks great but on driving it home I noticed a knocking sound under some braking that wasn't there before. The knocking seems to coincide with the rotation of the wheels and under some of braking, sometimes louder than others. 

Somethings obviously been knocked or interfered with during the spring replacement. I phoned my mechanic and he reckoned a bit of dirt or similar has been accidentally introduced to the calipers when he's rebuilt it causing a high point and that it might go if I leave it a week or so. (And possibly damage my disc methinks!) If not, to take it back to him, obviously.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? I'm doubting the bit of grit reason.

Just want some other knowledgeable possiblites for when I inevitably take the car back to him next week.

Sorry for war and peace. I suppose you don't need the full background on the purchase of my car!

Seems odd that it coincides with the wheel rotation, could be caliper related but wouldn't of touched them when fitting the springs.

Unrelated but could you post some pics of it now it's lowered as I have a set of the same springs waiting to go on and can't make my mind up whether it will be low enough. 

1 hour ago, Kahunajb said:

Unrelated but could you post some pics of it now it's lowered as I have a set of the same springs waiting to go on and can't make my mind up whether it will be low enough. 

I'll try get a pic tomorrow and post it on here. The front wheels definitely sit neater beneath the arch. There's not too much if a difference at the rear. Subtlety was what I was hoping for.

5 hours ago, tomsass said:

hi budman have you tryed the nut on top of the shock ? or around there . as the car going down .sum think will be coming up 

No not tried this, I just assumed the mechanic wouldn't have missed this. But then again... 

Not tried reversing and turning yet either but I'll try that tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, tomsass said:

plus is the sound louder when  turning  in reverse ? as the top of the strut can move with the extra play .,

Just tried listening during a reverse and there is very definite single 'clunk' as I hit the brake. Sounds nearside but I can't tell front or back. All brakes look fine without taking anything off.

The knocking when braking going forward still remains. 

Odd...

20 hours ago, Kahunajb said:

Seems odd that it coincides with the wheel rotation, could be caliper related but wouldn't of touched them when fitting the springs.

Top pic is lowered. Makes just enough difference for me.

IMG_20180210_153850.jpg

7 minutes ago, JED said:

Have checked when breaking the wheel is not touching the plastic inner arch cover they have not been fitted back properly . 

There looks to be plenty of room still for the wheel not to touch. The linings all seem tidy...

Thanks for the photo comparison. Can definitely tell especially the front but is subtle as you say. The standard vrs ride height does look ridiculous as well as how far in the arches the wheels sit. I'm  going with 15mm rear 12mm front spacers too.

Sorry for going off topic and hope you get your issue sorted.