Castrol Edge

mrgf

Eurocarparts and carparts4less have Castrol Edge on special offer at the moment, when used in conjunction with their codes. The better price is at the later branch, where it will come in at £30.18 for four litres, which should be enough for most Skoda's. It meets the VW 504 00 and 507 00 standards so should be sufficient, too. Eurocarparts price came in at £32.15, with the code,   clear55    whilst the carparts4less  code was,    feb12

I will of course, check that against Halfords and one or two more outlets but I am sure you'll agree, its a competitive price and may well be worth putting it in the shed until service day!

Anyone else know of a better price, fell free to share, bearing in mind, those two outlets deliver, for free!

VW / Skoda / SEAT / Audi Recommend CASTROL,   

They are big on Long life Servicing of TSI Engines, VW 504 00 FS Long Life. Good for Fleet / Leasing / Rented cars.

Good enough a reason to avoid CASTROL or QUANTUM Long Life oil if you are not needing to do Variable Servicing on Petrol / TSI VW Group Engines.

Long Life Oil, short life engines possibly.

German Manufaturers engines have the high failure rate.

Maybe bye the Brands / Oils Japanese Engine Manufacturers recommend, or just anything other than VW Group as long as the correct spec.

Full Synthetic to VW 502 00, if doing Fixed Servicing on petrols might be Simply Clever if your car is a Keeper.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Edited by AwaoffSki

19 hours ago, superbdreams said:

This is a slightly different oil, though. The one mentioned is the LL spec although they both seem to cover VW 504 00 and 507 00 specs. I have seen a few sellers selling the one mentioned by supurbdreams so I guess its a cheaper version. Its all in the blend!

Awayoffski, forgive my lack of knowledge but would not VW spec 502 00 be lower then 504 00 and 507 00? I thought the scale went up as many seem to meet the 504 00 but not so many meet the 507 00. My reading is that you want to go up spec, rather then down, a bit like DOT numbers on brake fluids. DOT 4 being better then DOT 3 etc. replace older brake fluid with the higher DOT 4 fluid but not newer fluid with the DOT 3, so to speak. Oh and don't mix the two. drain fully, prior to refilling.

Edited by mrgf

I think his argument is that 504/507 is designed to be a longlife oil and as such has a higher blend of additives for that specific purpose. Things like detergents, acid neutralisers, etc. Its also a 5w30 blend.

He argues that this might lower lubrication qualities compared to 502 5w40.

Whether this is actually the case, I don't know. In the special case of high powered 1.4 twinchargers its possibly sensible advice.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JGrindel said:

I am running quantum 5w40 in my cupra r 1.8t (265bhp) running fine! I will also be putting it in my 1.6tdi fabia in the next couple weeks! I got 20 litres of it for 40 quid from TPS! 

Not sure what other oils grades Quantum do, but for the diesel 5w40 is the Platinum (505.1) - 5w30 is the LongLife 3 (507.0) and is suited to the 1.6TDI with a DPF. Check suitability before putting in.

15 hours ago, KeithCheetham said:

Not sure what other oils grades Quantum do, but for the diesel 5w40 is the Platinum (505.1) - 5w30 is the LongLife 3 (507.0) and is suited to the 1.6TDI with a DPF. Check suitability before putting in.

Correct, 507 spec needed for DPF, 5w40 doesnt meet that! Will head to TPS to get 5w30 507 quantum! That stuffs made by Fusch now not Castrol like it used to be!! I am not paying rip off prices for Castrol Edge... 

Edited by JGrindel
  • Like 1

Looks like "Right said Fred", hiding behind the curtains!  Thought someone would say "Fuchs?... I bet they do!

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So he is as bad as VW Group for a balls up!,   mixing up miles and kilometer,  like 30,000 miles with VW504, 

that will be Km, and 18,500-20,000 miles. Depending on if Skoda, VW, Audi or SEAT are saying it.

But 502 perfect for fixed services, 12 months / 9,400 miles, no need for 504 long life, and North America has different gasolines, MON / RON's.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2018 at 15:47, xman said:

20140301-D4C_9260-S.jpg.b3550bddbfbe11f56e98775d54b49f1d.jpg

And suddenly my tales of woe about our wee car have melted away....

I've come to the same conclusion as Awaoffski in that the 5w40 will be used in ours when we eventually get it back, we don't do high miles let alone high motorway miles, my wife covers something like 12 miles a day and it's hardly driven hard during that short time. Of course, with the inspection service now due as well as the MOT, and both to be carried out at a main dealer, it might be taken out of our hands.

Now, back to that photo. Why would someone ruin it by sticking the blue oval in the background?

14 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

So he is as bad as VW Group for a balls up!,   mixing up miles and kilometer,  like 30,000 miles with VW504, 

that will be Km, and 18,500-20,000 miles. Depending on if Skoda, VW, Audi or SEAT are saying it.

But 502 perfect for fixed services, 12 months / 9,400 miles, no need for 504 long life, and North America has different gasolines, MON / RON's.

What I understand by what he says is that 502 is better, but you can get away with 504 if you have access to high quality fuel.

In Europe and other World Regions VW Recommend Long Life Oils. 

So look at what World Regions you are in, look at your Owners Manuals and see.

But then think, think about your car, do you own it, is it a keeper, do you want the engine to last.

What i believe is that owners of cars with a TSI engine, 1.0, 1.2,  1.4, 1,8 or 2.0 litre will be better using VW502 00 Full Synthetic & doing regular services at 10,000 miles or less rather than using 

VW Recommended Long Life Oils.

If you do Variable / Flexible servicing and go over 10,000 miles then you will need to be using Long Life oil, so VW504 00 or on, 

VW 507 00.

Even a post in the Karoq section is asking about VW 508 00 for the 1.5 TSI EVO engine.

Reason being, Long Life Oil & Flexible Servicing suits VW Group for Fleet Users,  but VW Group TSI engines, Euro 4, 5 & even 6 are prone to issues, 

issues VW Group tend to ignore, 

just discontinue production, bring out newer engines and move on.

You decide what you want to use, but the guy in the video picked 30,000 miles to say in the video, where did that come from?

Edited by AwaoffSki

20 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

In Europe and other World Regions VW Recommend Long Life Oils. 

So look at what World Regions you are in, look at your Owners Manuals and see.

But then think, think about your car, do you own it, is it a keeper, do you want the engine to last.

What i believe is that owners of cars with a TSI engine, 1.0, 1.2,  1.4, 1,8 or 2.0 litre will be better using VW502 00 Full Synthetic & doing regular services at 10,000 miles or less rather than using 

VW Recommended Long Life Oils.

If you do Variable / Flexible servicing and go over 10,000 miles then you will need to be using Long Life oil, so VW504 00 or on, 

VW 507 00.

Even a post in the Karoq section is asking about VW 508 00 for the 1.5 TSI EVO engine.

Reason being, Long Life Oil & Flexible Servicing suits VW Group for Fleet Users,  but VW Group TSI engines, Euro 4, 5 & even 6 are prone to issues, 

issues VW Group tend to ignore, 

just discontinue production, bring out newer engines and move on.

You decide what you want to use, but the guy in the video picked 30,000 miles to say in the video, where did that come from?

Yes I agree with you and I am and will be using vw 502 on my engine.
The 30 000 miles part, I think he just mixed up miles and Km  because he is from Europe and went to america to make some PR and videos.