First long trip...

Hello all, 

Completed my first long(ish) round trip today, 380 miles in my 1.4 TSi SE manual. 

So impressed with its comfort, economy and refinement. 

From South Wales to North, twisty roads everywhere, but the car took it in its stride! 

On top of this, had a computer average of 58mpg, albeit with gentle driving patterns. 

Did the the exact same trip in 2015 Octavia, was a completely different, uncomfortable experience! 

Cheers,

Dave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisluciofg said:

i just picked up my 2016 Superb , David. found the tire roar on chipseal disappointing. not a lot of difference from my 2011 VW Polo. how did you find road noise ?

Chris you mention on another post that yours is a 1.8 TSi - is that the MkII Superb rather than the MkIII David  is talking about here?

Chirs/MorrisOx,

Just to clarify I am talking about a mk3.  

I've never driven a mk2 so can't comment, and am unsure if there are any improvements on road noise between the marks.

One thing I would say is that alloy wheel size is often a factor in road noise, what size wheels do you have on?

Thanks,

Dave. 

I came from a Mk2 on 17" P7s to a Mk3 on 18" on P7 Cinturato. Ride is definitely better on the Mk3, despite the bigger wheels, but I can't say I've noticed a large reduction in tyre noise. It's our hopeless UK roads I'm afraid. As just one example - there is a stretch of the A419 heading south for the M4 from Swindon where the surface changes a couple of times. The noise goes from fine to unbearable and back again. Perhaps better tyres would lessen this, but I doubt you could get rid of it altogether.

20 minutes ago, DavidGee said:

I have a mk3 tsi with 17” wheels, I personally don’t have any issue with excess road noise ! 

Yes mate a TSI and 17s will surely trump a TDI and 18s in road and engine noise (not driven a petrol in years as I do stupid mileage).

I have my own road noise suppression arrangement: A Canton that goes up to 11:biggrin:

They are resurfacing the bypass round Brighton in places and the new surface is extremely quiet. Hopefully any new roads will get this dressing, I would like to know who thought granite chippings were a good idea.