Convert speed limiter to cruise control?

cliveb

On 22/02/2018 at 20:28, cliveb said:

I recently bought a 2017 Fabia 1.2 TSi SE. It has a speed limiter, which I experimented with on a recent motorway trip. Although somewhat useful, I have to say that the cruise control on my wife's 2012 Elegance model is far more useful.

And it got me thinking: the speed limiter needs hardware that can (a) monitor the speed, and (b) control fuel supply. Which is exactly what cruise control needs. And the speed limiter controls on the steering wheel stalk are identical to cruise control. So my guess is that the only difference between the two will be software. In which case, is there a software update possible that will convert the speed limiter to cruise control?

Clive b, did you get anywhere regarding this?

ive just come from a octavia with CC only and into a Fabia MC with SL only. Sure most Skoda garages will say no, but I’m sure it’s a flick of a switch on the electrical management system..still can’t work out why a new stalk is needed? Only want CC and no SL. My Octy CC has all the same buttons as the SL switch.

thanks in advance..

14 hours ago, StemcellRob said:

ive just come from a octavia with CC only and into a Fabia MC with SL only. Sure most Skoda garages will say no, but I’m sure it’s a flick of a switch on the electrical management system..still can’t work out why a new stalk is needed? Only want CC and no SL. My Octy CC has all the same buttons as the SL switch.

thanks in advance..

My Fabia SEL has both CC and SL, it's an option either on the car menu of the radio system thing, or via the little dashboard screen. Can't remember where/which though. Speed limiter doesn't seem to work for me though, i tried it out going down the motorway, sometimes itll keep it steady at whats set, then sometimes ill go screaming past someone and think "heck they're going a bit slow" before realizing i was doing 20-25mph more than what i had set... maybe there's a threshold if you push too hard it goes over? I didn't exactly read into it to be fair, found cruise control more useful anyway, just wish i could enable adaptive cc.

18 hours ago, StemcellRob said:

thanks in advance..

Yes, I did manage to get CC added by a main dealer. Total cost was £345 (gulp!)

Like you, I thought that because the stalk with SL on it had all the necessary hardware, it should have been possible to simply replace SL with CC via a software update. But alas no - CC on its own is not an option on the Fabia mk3. You can have SL, or SL+CC, but not just CC. So as far as Skoda are concerned, if you want CC you have to have SL as well, and that involves a replacement stalk which has an extra switch that toggles between SL and CC. It is clear to me that it should theoretically be possible to have CC only, but Skoda simply won't do it.

One other thing. My Fabia has the forward facing radar (that it uses to warn you if you're too close to the car in front), so it clearly has the necessary hardware to support Adaptive CC. But I was told this is not a retro-fit option. Shame really, I think ACC sounds like a great idea.

1 hour ago, cliveb said:

Like you, I thought that because the stalk with SL on it had all the necessary hardware, it should have been possible to simply replace SL with CC via a software update. But alas no - CC on its own is not an option on the Fabia mk3. You can have SL, or SL+CC, but not just CC. So as far as Skoda are concerned, if you want CC you have to have SL as well, and that involves a replacement stalk which has an extra switch that toggles between SL and CC. It is clear to me that it should theoretically be possible to have CC only, but Skoda simply won't do it.

One other thing. My Fabia has the forward facing radar (that it uses to warn you if you're too close to the car in front), so it clearly has the necessary hardware to support Adaptive CC. But I was told this is not a retro-fit option. Shame really, I think ACC sounds like a great idea.

I'm in the same boat, though my car came with CC + SL to begin with, and also has the radar feature. Supposedly it's an additional coding module in the ECM and a replacement stalk. The CC enabling on a car with only SL is fairly easy, replacement stalk and use VCDS to enable CC. ACC requires other trickery from what i've been told, magic that only the factory can pull off while it's being made (so the dealers say).

It CAN be retro-fitted, but it's a much more complex job.

1 hour ago, FabiaGonzales said:

ACC requires other trickery from what i've been told, magic that only the factory can pull off while it's being made (so the dealers say).

It CAN be retro-fitted, but it's a much more complex job.

I'm having difficulty trying to think of what other hardware would be required for ACC...

- monitoring of vehicles speed: check

- ability to adjust fuel and braking: check

- front facing radar to detect traffic ahead: check

- some other "magic" hardware required: b*ggered if I can think what that might be

So it ought to be achievable via a software update.

You can't trust anything car manufacturers tell you (such as what their diesel emissions might be *cough*)

The ACC requires a different ABS module, in order to do the more subtle braking under computer control than just the fairly full-on braking that the Front Assist does! Front Assist is fairly binary in its brake applications. ACC isn't. 

30 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

The ACC requires a different ABS module, in order to do the more subtle braking under computer control than just the fairly full-on braking that the Front Assist does! Front Assist is fairly binary in its brake applications. ACC isn't. 

Interesting, front assist seems to panic when im passing parked vehicles while going round a corner, yet doesn't give a damn when i nearly rear-end some pr*ck of a white van man with broken brake lights! It certainly stops the car well though, even when i'd rather it not.

Wonder if the different ABS module is retro-fittable like the stalk is.

45 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

Ah, right, now I understand.

I've never experienced the Front Assist braking - just had a couple of occasions when the warning alarm sounded (pretty much simultaneous to my own braking).

And I'm certainly not going to deliberately try not braking myself to see what happens - in case it doesn't work!

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2019 at 14:46, cliveb said:

CliveB,

You may hold the answer...Can i check, you purchased the car and then you got CC + SL retrofitted at the dealer?

I don't suppose you have an invoice with the Part Codes? 

I've now had conversations with main 2 dealers, both are stuck giving me the same information and leading me to a 3rd Party. Then the 3rd party just sell me there own CC systems to sit below the skoda stalk at more money!

I know my BCM unit is able to accept CC without an upgrade, however the product code  6V0054691 with a computer on board, states that you can't install to cars with a speed limiter. Went to skoda E-Shop and that product code brings up just a CC stalk. we all know that fabias have to be fitted with both and a mode button. 

Any assistance would be great and soon i'll be cruising.... 

33 minutes ago, StemcellRob said:

Can i check, you purchased the car and then you got CC + SL retrofitted at the dealer?

I don't suppose you have an invoice with the Part Codes? 

I've now had conversations with main 2 dealers, both are stuck giving me the same information and leading me to a 3rd Party. Then the 3rd party just sell me there own CC systems to sit below the skoda stalk at more money!

I know my BCM unit is able to accept CC without an upgrade, however the product code  6V0054691 with a computer on board, states that you can't install to cars with a speed limiter. Went to skoda E-Shop and that product code brings up just a CC stalk. we all know that fabias have to be fitted with both and a mode button.

Yes, I bought the car then had CC retrofitted.

The car is a Jan 2017 Fabia SE, and when I got it (in Feb 2018), it had SL but no CC.

The dealer fitted a new stalk and did the necessary software update to provide SL + CC.

Here are the part numbers:

- 6V0054690A (described as "CRUISE CONTR"). This was £110, and my guess is that's the replacement stalk.

- 5E0054800 (described as "SWAP - CRUIS"). This was £20, so I guess that's the software update.

They also charged me £180 labour - I suppose that's probably 2 hours, given we're talking main dealer prices.

One last thing: after they fitted the stalk and updated the software, they subsequently discovered that they also needed a special code to activate the software. Skoda wouldn't give it to them over the phone or email it to them - it had to be sent as a piece of paper inside a DVD style box. You couldn't make this **** up!

If it's of interest, the dealer was Willis Skoda in South Ruislip.

1 hour ago, cliveb said:

Willis Skoda

Thanks Cliveb!

Appreciated, I’m based near watford so been dealing with citygate and then called Lancaster MK, Willis didn’t pick up the phone however I’ll push a little harder now knowing that.

thanks for all the info! Another mechanic said Willis are good compared to others.

Would you share first names with the person you dealt with at that dealership? Just so I know who’s in the know!!

thanks! Can’t wait to have this resolved.

5E0054800 - Is the DVD activation code - https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5e0054800-application-software-skoda-29178.html

6V0054690A - Cruise stalk with Speed limiter - without on board computer - https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/6v0054800c-cruise-control-skoda-31176.html

http://www.roberteardleyskoda.co.uk/brochures/25-07-2016/fabia.pdf

Looking good, Your SE factory fitted spec is identical to the monte Carlo. Would be nice to know your BCM model number but that involves getting under the steering wheel. Service open on Saturdays, so hope for an answer.

Thank you!

Edited by StemcellRob
part codes for others

4 hours ago, StemcellRob said:

Thanks Cliveb!

Appreciated, I’m based near watford so been dealing with citygate and then called Lancaster MK, Willis didn’t pick up the phone however I’ll push a little harder now knowing that.

thanks for all the info! Another mechanic said Willis are good compared to others.

Would you share first names with the person you dealt with at that dealership? Just so I know who’s in the know!!

I bought the car from Citygate because it happened to be at that dealer. But I wouldn't go near them with a bargepole for service.

Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the chap I dealt with when getting the CC retrofitted.

Good luck.

Hi I was browsing the forums and spotted this thread. Hope this is helpful... I have a 2015 SE Fabia 110. Upon purchase, I only had the speed limiter and no cruise. I got cruise control fitted (replacement stalk, installation cd also with a code) from official Skoda dealer. I can confirm that ACC works in cruise control. The car breaks and maintains distance on the motorway on its own.