No CrossClimate’s for my tyre size.

Andy P

Hi guys. Over the past 5 years I have always changed my Wheels in wintertime to my extra set of steel wheels with winter tyres and ploughed through any snow with ease, when they were on my previous yeti and then Octavia. Of course over recent winters it’s been mild. So during last summer I changed my car to a fabia mk3 Monte Carlo with 17 inch alloys and 215/40/17 tyres and sold my steels and winter boots. And now look what’s happened. The so called beast from the east has literally stopped my car in its tracks. So of course I’m now contemplating new tyres for the future. I’m interested in CrossClimate tyres or Goodyear Vector 4seasons. However, they aren’t available in my tyre size but if I step up a profile to 45 profile, they are available. My question is, is it possible to change the profile without risk of the tyres catching anything. 

I found the same for my Fabia II but persuaded some 215/45 17" CrossClimates to fit.  They're on slightly wider wheels than the 16" stock ones but it MOT'd fine.  Obviously can't say whether there's more or less clearance on a MkIII, but mine's based on SE spec anyway so doesn't sit as low as a MkII Monte Carlo.

Someone commented that the car looks like a 4x4, but that was someone who has only just learned to drive and probably aspires to a slammed Corsa.  The extra ride height has been advantageous in the snow and I've been impressed with the grip - not quite as good in the snow as the Nokians, but better in summer conditions and unlike the Nokians they probably won't go "off" when the tread gets low as some reviews suggest.

Insurance companies are usually none to happy if you fit non OEM tyre sizes. Some will give cover, some won't.

Why not search e-bay for a set of suitable rims, fit those with winter tyres (and TPMS valves) and keep the insurers happy.

I think my best option would be a set of wheels & tyres from eBay. I was looking on mytyres for all season tyres but there are only 5 brands and they’re all budget brands. 

Don't discount the Maxxis option.  Both Awaoffski and myself have been pleased with their all-season performance although he had a warranty issue.  How a brand deals with warranty speaks volumes and I've seen some shoddy reactions from some of the "go-to" brands who inevitably have warranty claims too.

• Like 1

At the moment I’m looking at Bf Goodrich g grip all seasons. They seem ok. I’m certainly not a fan of the bridgestones which are on now. 

• Like 1