smooth idle no more

Hi,

This is on a 1.4TSI 2014 with 100k km's on the clock.

Just as I was sitting in the traffic jam this morning resting my hands at the steering wheel, I realized I did feel the slight trembling on the steering wheel so I could tell the engine was idling - and then it struck me this wasn't so a year or two before.

No drama, misfires, rough idling or anything like - it' s just that silk smooth idle was gone.

I  know nothing gets younger by the years and this is to be expected sort of, still I'd like to know what causes this and if it was possible to rectify.

I don't think it is motor mounts (yet), my gut feeling would be  something around air flow/idle control rather than ignition related. Does this engine have EGR?

I've changed the air filter back in November and the plugs are about 2yr/40k kms old. No complaints in the performance/fuel mileage department.

I was also thinking about the car trying to top up the battery (it's winter after all) and putting a small load on the alternator - I don't really know if the battery management would be so sophisticated.

thanks,

Tiv

The 1.4tsi does not have an EGR valve (thank goodness)

I believe sparks plugs should be good for 60k km (but not sure).

A coil pack maybe?

Or a bit of carbon build up after 100k km. Give it a good thrashing and see if it makes better or worse?

4 hours ago, toni8b said:

What does it indicate if it gets better after trashing?

Mmm...that your car has masochistic tendencies? wrong answer?

I wasn't expecting a Spanish Inquisition, 'cos nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition :) 

Edited by Gerrycan