Is a Sim card worth it for Columbus ?

15 minutes ago, MarkUk63 said:

Right at the bottom of the last page is a date mine says 11.2017 which is the latest I can find on the Skoda site.Thanks

There is a date on the back cover 05.2017 if that’s correct then my car is nearly a year old 

Does anyone know how to find build date as mine is defo a my18 as it has the new screen and emergency button, but it would be interesting to know the exact build date 

Just looking at the latest configurator and it looks like you only get the sim slot if you have the wireless phone charging with premium WLAN.I hope I can send my sim back if that’s the case as it has been dispatched.

My L&K 2018 has:

a) one SIM card hidden somewhere in the system for the e-call and service purposes. It comes with the car and I guess Skoda pays for it.

b) one SIM card slot where I can plug my own card, if I wish.  Haven't done that, so I don't know if its worth it. I share the connection from my phone or my mobile router, whenever I have it with me. 

I would certainly have an extra SIM card were it only possible for Columbus to download map updates etc. in the background. But as far as I know, this is not the case. 

As far as I know mine was built in December, but it’s a company car through a lease company so can’t be sure but that was what I was told.

Will try to check with the dealer who has the car tomorrow.

Edited by MarkUk63

Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet†.
Includes SIM card slot and rSAP pro le compatibility to provide high-speed LTE internet. For more information please see footnotes below. Only available in combination with Columbus satellite navigation system.  £400 inc V.A.T.

seems like this is what you need to order to get sim slot , though some lucky people seem to be getting the extra slot for free

What’s not making sense is that some people with a MY18 Columbus have a sim and some don’t, perhaps it’s the later builds that don’t have it as Blowhards is a November build and he does not have it.

Edited by MarkUk63

1 hour ago, MarkUk63 said:

john999 can you swop connections as I will park the car on my drive and can access the home WiFi if I wanted to download bigger files like map updates etc.

When I checked it showed that a map update was available but it turned out to be the same as was already installed. I was going to do it the same way as Bud (SD card) and not via WiFi.

I actually walked to the garage to check if I have the SIM slot and yes, its there in the middle, between the SD1 and SD2 slots. 

I really don't know why there is an extra sim slot with the wireless charging. Maybe you should ask your Skoda dealer about this. Would be nice to know.

Thanks for the info guys, will try and ring the dealer tomorrow and get them to check, seems like it might be a lottery if you get one or not.

Edited by MarkUk63

wireless charging is not related to having the SIM card slot or not.

u need the Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet to get the SIM.

depends on the market too.  in some countries it might be packaged together.  in others, seperately.

here in Oz, it was not available, even as an option, until the MY18 models.

I have an MY17 Superb with Columbus and Phonebox (wireless charging + signal booster) - but no integrated LTE internet.

JR RS if you look at the uk configurator only the wireless charging and LTE mention the sim slot , even when you look at the Columbus as an upgrade it  does not say it has a sim  slot.

Perhaps it only happened late in 2017 who knows.

6 hours ago, JR RS said:

wireless charging is not related to having the SIM card slot or not.

u need the Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet to get the SIM.

depends on the market too.  in some countries it might be packaged together.  in others, seperately.

This is correct. My car was built in September 2017 and Premium WLAN was definitely a separate option.

16 hours ago, Blowhard said:

Does anyone know how to find build date as mine is defo a my18 as it has the new screen and emergency button, but it would be interesting to know the exact build date 

If you download the MySkoda App and enter your details it gives the date of production and month of first registration.

Edited by MaddicIrl

Just an update the car is in transit so dealer could not do a physical check but assures me that it has a sim slot, I will find out Thursday at 10:30 when the car is delivered.