Tow bar

On 17/03/2018 at 00:03, SashaGrace said:

Haha, probably, but at least I know how to get it out ;)

If you haven't sorted it by next week. You can have a look at ours, as we are up in North Wales at Llanwrst from Monday to Thursday having a little break with our new mk3 fl VRS Estate. No real plans for the days apart from going to Colwyn Bay model boat lake Tues, or Wed. Let me know if you want to check it out. Cheers, Dave and Jan x

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

no that price includes the £15 postage, why would there be import taxes?

I was thinking more of any hidden costs more than taxes.  I bought some lights from Germany and paid by debit card on line (Euros) then got stung by the bank ..... my lack of thinking it through :angry:

If it's in pounds then happy days 

3 hours ago, Rolfman2000 said:

If you haven't sorted it by next week. You can have a look at ours, as we are up in North Wales at Llanwrst from Monday to Thursday having a little break with our new mk3 fl VRS Estate. No real plans for the days apart from going to Colwyn Bay model boat lake Tues, or Wed. Let me know if you want to check it out. Cheers, Dave and Jan x

Is that over th first week of Easter? I might be around, but I could be away, not sure yet. Thanks for the offer though, would be really good, but if I am busy, do enjoy the area, it’s lovely :) I am collecting the bar on the 29th of March.

Hi Sacha, we are there 26th to 29th March. And going to Colwyn bay either 27th or 28th to meet a friend at the model boat club at the lake in the big park near the sea front. Happy to meet any day. Cheers, Dave 

Edited by Rolfman2000
Misspelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i work in Mochdre and abergele :biggrin: over couple of times a month 

Really?? Might see you around. My Mother in Law lives in Mochdre and the school I work in is in Llandudno. Do the regular Wrexham commute as well.

4 hours ago, Rolfman2000 said:

Hi Sacha, we are there 26th to 29th March. And going to Colwyn bay either 27th or 28th to meet a friend at the model boat club at the lake in the big park near the sea front. Happy to meet any day. Cheers, Dave 

I know where that is, if I’m around at some point I’ll do my best to let you know :)

Finally got around to some images. Feast your eyes... (still prefer the Westfalia's neater/cleaner 'removed' finish - minus the visible fixing bracket)

Scout 1.jpg

Scout 2.jpg

Scout 3.jpg

Scout 4.jpg

it does sit down very low in comparison, the design of the westy with the way the hitch inserts, lends to hide more of it when its removed. whats the purpose of the eyelets? im assuming this is for mounting a bike rack?

Edited by JohnnyType2

Eyelets are for fixing the breakaway protection. You have to have the trailer breakaway fixed to the vehicle as tow arm is removable and could theoretically come off in use.

Edited by CCTaylor
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CCTaylor said:

Eyelets are for fixing the breakaway protection. You have to have the trailer breakaway fixed to the vehicle as tow arm is removable and could theoretically come off in use.

Thanks for that - had me stumped as to what they were for. (Haven't towed a trailer for years and forgot about the cable). Like its predecessor, it'll only be used for a Thule bike carrier.

The margin between the towbar causing problems with the reversing sensors and not causing problems is very small.

With my removable towbar if I leave it on it normally does not show up on reversing sensors. One day it did show up on the sensors. I nipped round the back and found that the tow ball cover was sitting at an angle. I straightened the cap and and the reversing sensors cleared.

Before ordering my towbar I did an experiment using a bike track pump as a stand in for the towbar. This showed me how close the margin was.

On 20/03/2018 at 00:34, POWYSWALES said:

If it helps I paid £240 for a brink fixed towbar supplied and fitted at sallop towing in Shrewsbury, included dedicated wiring kit. This is on a late 2016 Octavia sport.

On 20/03/2018 at 19:41, andyasjl said:

This is good to know, that a fixed one doesn’t interfere with the parking sensors when not used for towing, I was told a fixed ‘Might’ get picked up by sensors,  so best to fit the more expensive removable one one sir..... I never remove it because of my neighbours sh@t parkin

On 20/03/2018 at 14:22, JohnnyType2 said:

was it removeable? how do you find it, pros/cons? still working out whether to go for a westy or a more generic removable one?

Very interesting. I was told that they were not fitting / allowed to fit fixed towbars and so only detachable ones. I was quoted around £200 for the actual bar, £130 for the wiring loom and another £300 for labour including running wiring back to the fuse box and then reprogramming the whole car so that Eco mode would be disabled automatically when towing.

At that price it didn't seem worth it to tow a 6ft trailer half a dozen times a year!! My only tow bar remains on my 2CV!! 

On 20/03/2018 at 00:34, POWYSWALES said:

If it helps I paid £240 for a brink fixed towbar supplied and fitted at sallop towing in Shrewsbury, included dedicated wiring kit. This is on a late 2016 Octavia sport.

On 20/03/2018 at 19:41, andyasjl said:

This is good to know, that a fixed one doesn’t interfere with the parking sensors when not used for towing, I was told a fixed ‘Might’ get picked up by sensors,  so best to fit the more expensive removable one one sir..... I never remove it because of my neighbours sh@t parkin

On 20/03/2018 at 14:22, JohnnyType2 said:

was it removeable? how do you find it, pros/cons? still working out whether to go for a westy or a more generic removable one?

Edited by 2cvhound

• 2 months later...

fitted my westfalia towbar today, nothing to add except that for the vRS use the set of holes so that the towbar sits out furthest from the car, you only need to drop the rear exhaust hanger to get to both fixing points as well just put some pressure on the exhaust or get a pal to hold it down. 

18 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

fitted my westfalia towbar today, nothing to add except that for the vRS use the set of holes so that the towbar sits out furthest from the car, you only need to drop the rear exhaust hanger to get to both fixing points as well just put some pressure on the exhaust or get a pal to hold it down. 

Its not difficult once you get started, but when you first read the instructions It's like :o

What wiring did you go for in the end?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Its not difficult once you get started, but when you first read the instructions It's like :o

What wiring did you go for in the end?

just the vehicle specific without towbar prep, works well the parking sensors are switched off when the trailer is connected and no errors yet. it was reasonably easy to install.

I wish to fit a tow bar to my December 2017 Octavia estate to pull my 2mt x 1.5 mt trailer for my work as a jobbing builder. Having phoned around  the prices vary considerable, I have also been told that the car will need to be sorted out on the Skoda computer as the connection of the tow bar electric's will have altered the on board cpu .Is this correct to the generic wire ring loom  and the dedicated loom

23 hours ago, poggio said:

I wish to fit a tow bar to my December 2017 Octavia estate to pull my 2mt x 1.5 mt trailer for my work as a jobbing builder. Having phoned around  the prices vary considerable, I have also been told that the car will need to be sorted out on the Skoda computer as the connection of the tow bar electric's will have altered the on board cpu .Is this correct to the generic wire ring loom  and the dedicated loom

doesnt need a skoda computer just anyone with the VCDS cable. If you go to skoda they will charge a fair bit, i do it for beer tokens.

I believe you need the updated cable for the FL (but someone might be able to confirm that?). plenty of people on here with VCDS if you do the install yourself.

Edited by JohnnyType2