Following a battle with my local dealer - I am having new rear shock absorbers fitted to my 2015 65 plate VRS diesel hatchback today - under warranty. 

The replacement is due to rumbling and knocking noise - which I was poo pooed by the dealer. 

My research led to paying for for an hours subscription to Erwin - which identified that a lot of Octavia’s (not just VRS - estate, diesel, petrol) are affected (should you hear the noise or experience the symptoms)

This is a known issue which I believe Skoda are keeping secret - I have read a lot of information on the internet and affects a lot of Octavia variants it appears. 

I have found a lot of information on other countries forums but not this one so I am hoping this posting will help others. 

It it is now on version 14!

The TPI or technical product information reference number is 

2038577/14

driving over undulations, knocking / hollow-sounding bumps are heard from the rear vehicle part

The erwin information is copyright but I would urge others to pay the 7 Euro cost to have the ammunition to go armed to your dealer - even then you might have a fight to get it done if the mechanic can’t hear what you are suffering with. 

It it has soured my opinion of my dealer and their service. 

As I said I hope it helps others. 

Ryan

• Like 3

Fascinating and slightly depressing.

In my (current) experience, dealers don’t like warranty work as there is no margin in it for them, which explains the underlying lack of interest. They’re also in the hands of Skoda’s technical team, who have to okay any warranty work (probably if it goes above a certain threshold, I suspect).

In short: customer comes last.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MorrisOx said:

Fascinating and slightly depressing.

In my (current) experience, dealers don’t like warranty work as there is no margin in it for them, which explains the underlying lack of interest. They’re also in the hands of Skoda’s technical team, who have to okay any warranty work (probably if it goes above a certain threshold, I suspect).

In short: customer comes last.

The warranty attitude of VAG seems to be concerning, I am glad my car will be a lease.

In comparison I have had a Kia Cee'd since 2014, had a lot of warranty work done with them, the family run dealer I bought from has been great.  I am quite mechanically experienced so could argue a good case but every time the dealer has been open and got things done.   Full set of new wheels, plus another new one all due to slight blemishes creeping under lacquer, new clutch kit due to a vibration, two new headlights, seat checked and repaired for squeek - I am picky as my wife didn't even notice half of the issues but Kia sorted it all.  Very happy with them and I recommend the dealer/modern Kia's if anyone asks me as a result.

They did mention that any work over a threshold they have to evidence or make a report for Kia to authorise the work.  Garages to prioritise over warranty boil my pi$$, they obviously don't care about customer retention.

• Like 2

Well done in pushing for this and sharing your results. Does this rumbling noise from the rear sound like the known problem with Octavias that people have struggled to make progress with here, described as a low frequency 'boom'?: 

I know I am struggling with this issue. My dealer can acknowledge the sound but says it is a design 'feature' of the car and there is no 'defect' they can remedy but I can complain to customer services - to what end I don't know but it is depressing the noise and pain I experience on a car that is perfect for me in every other aspect..

‘Design feature’ my eye...

The real value of this forum and others like it is that it demonstrates what utter twaddle dealers and manufactuers come out with to avoid people concluding that the high-tech engineering perfection that appears in their marketing is, infact, your average everyday car.

I’ve got no live experience of brands like Kia, Hyundai or Toyota, but I have a strong suspicion that they experience fewer snafus than VW group cars do.

Also reached the conclusion that all the electronic controls cars run with these days are nowt but trouble. Prior to my Octy I had two V70 petrol turbos. Over more than 200,000 miles between them I had none of the show-stoppers I’ve had with the Octy.

Edited by MorrisOx

2 hours ago, teekay421 said:

Well done in pushing for this and sharing your results. Does this rumbling noise from the rear sound like the known problem with Octavias that people have struggled to make progress with here, described as a low frequency 'boom'?: 

I know I am struggling with this issue. My dealer can acknowledge the sound but says it is a design 'feature' of the car and there is no 'defect' they can remedy but I can complain to customer services - to what end I don't know but it is depressing the noise and pain I experience on a car that is perfect for me in every other aspect..

No it is different however I’ve changed the boot buffers and re-adjusted the boot latch and no more booming. 

If you search for my other posts I’ve covered off what u have done, part numbers etc

• Like 1

got the rear shock absorbers  replaced on warranty when my car was 1 year old. Had the knocking sound when driving on ****ty roads,

5 min driving by the mechanic and he concluded with replacement and this was a known problem. no issues with the dealer and now a year later the sound is still gone.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 17/03/2018 at 14:08, Rybu79 said:

No it is different however I’ve changed the boot buffers and re-adjusted the boot latch and no more booming. 

If you search for my other posts I’ve covered off what u have done, part numbers etc

Hi Ry, what was it you changed exactly ? Is it the pieces on the side of the boot opening?