owl noise and loss of power..

I have an 06 1.4tdi bnv engine car.

Been great with 86k on the clock. 

Tonight driving home from work its started making an owl noise and loss of power only getting up to 20mph tops.

Im suspecting its the turbo but is there anything else to check?

Thanks.

Any smoke?

Owl noise is usually sign of turbo going, if a boost pipe was off you'd normally see lots of smoke but would be able to drive more than 20mph

I'll have to check this evening if the pipes are on. I did try and grab them last night but the engine was hot. 

There are 2 pipes one from egr to intercooler and from the intercooler to the turbo with a joint between each. From memory, any others to check? 

There was no smoke that I noticed but I was trying to figure out what was going on.  I did try to see if if would go more than 20 but it wouldn't, that was going up hill. 

I'll have to check this evening if the pipes are on. I did try and grab them last night but the engine was hot. 

There are 2 pipes one from egr to intercooler and from the intercooler to the turbo with a joint between each. From memory, any others to check? 

There was no smoke that I noticed but I was trying to figure out what was going on.  I did try to see if if would go more than 20 but it wouldn't, that was going up hill. 

From what I can see and feel, it's dark. Everything is still attached. 

I've been looking online and got a quote for the turbo to be replaced at £500. Is that about right.........? 

A brand new turbo would be a lot more than that, so it will be a recon unit for that price which is fine as long as its got a warranty. 

If the old turbo has blown iteself apart you need to be sure whoever replaces it does a good job and cleans out all the pipes and intercooler thoroughly. Same applies to the feed and return pipes to make sure they are clear. 86k seems a bit low for a turbo to let go, not sure on the reliability of the 1.4 turbos but even a pd130 turbo would normally* last longer than that. 

Would be interesting to see which part has failed 

If your not 100% sure if turbo has gone then get a garage to take off the TIP and have a look/feel at it. Or you could do this yourself if you are competent and have access to jack/ramps.

Have you always used the correct oil/changed regularly etc? Was it driving fine with no strange noises before the issue occurred?

18 hours ago, JWvrs25 said:

A brand new turbo would be a lot more than that, so it will be a recon unit for that price which is fine as long as its got a warranty. 

If the old turbo has blown iteself apart you need to be sure whoever replaces it does a good job and cleans out all the pipes and intercooler thoroughly. Same applies to the feed and return pipes to make sure they are clear. 86k seems a bit low for a turbo to let go, not sure on the reliability of the 1.4 turbos but even a pd130 turbo would normally* last longer than that. 

Would be interesting to see which part has failed 

If your not 100% sure if turbo has gone then get a garage to take off the TIP and have a look/feel at it. Or you could do this yourself if you are competent and have access to jack/ramps.

Have you always used the correct oil/changed regularly etc? Was it driving fine with no strange noises before the issue occurred?

Its from the garage I have used for years so I do trust them.

I will mention the thorough cleaning to them.

They usually ask if you want the old part so I will take it and post pictures for you.

I have got ramps and I am pretty competent but I only have the driveway to do the work and we are 5-6" deep with snow. 

Yes I always use the correct oil and usually service the car even February, 8000 miles ish but have yet to do this one due to the weather.

Yes it was driving fine just as it always has, no strange noises no loss of power, no smoke that I noticed.

Just a sudden drop in power and the owl noise.....

Edited by rdp50734
spelling

It really does sound like a pipe connection has come adrift somewhere on the high pressure side, the only way to be sure is to carefully inspect each connection for signs of a partial disconnect, pay particular attention to the two intercooler connections as these are the most likely culprits.

I hope so, fingers crossed thats all it is! I have been out and grabbed hold or each pipe and given them a tug but they seem to be tight/connected. 

I did notice that the pipe clamp on the hose from the bottom of the intercooler round to the back of the engine has broken. and I'm hoping that may have rubbed a hole into the hose.

Maybe.....

17 hours ago, rdp50734 said:

I hope so, fingers crossed thats all it is! I have been out and grabbed hold or each pipe and given them a tug but they seem to be tight/connected. 

I did notice that the pipe clamp on the hose from the bottom of the intercooler round to the back of the engine has broken. and I'm hoping that may have rubbed a hole into the hose.

Maybe.....

This sounds plausible. Loss of boost gives you low power and black smoke, but won't limit speed beyond the results of the low power. I presume you don't have a CEL?

No there are no faults, I have a generic fault scanner and that doesn't show any logged faults either.

I have just dropped it into the garage so I'm hoping for good news! 

32 minutes ago, rdp50734 said:

Just got off the phone to the garage, they say the bearings are screaming and needs a new turbo. Price now though is 750 Inc vat... 

If you trust them and that price is supplied and fitted inc. VAT then I think it's probably fair enough.

I'm having it done, I can't wait to have my car back. 

I've been driving the wife's ds3 sport, and while it's a nice drive I can't help but feel it's very feminine. 

40 minutes ago, rdp50734 said:

I'm having it done, I can't wait to have my car back. 

I've been driving the wife's ds3 sport, and while it's a nice drive I can't help but feel it's very feminine. 

Good man, they aren't even cars, they're handbags. :D

Just thought I would let you know I have the car back.

They didn't give me the old parts but said that the shaft had snapped in half.

When I asked what would have caused it he said that it is usually lack of service that is the cause, I service mine every year (8000 miles).

But the turbo has been repaired/replaced and now is driving fine! 

I used a company called best turbos. They are in Oldbury.

The price was £550 which included an oil and oil filter change too.

Edited by rdp50734

I do 15 miles each way to work and back, but with the m5 being down to 30mph I rarely get above 50 for the last 6 months but other than that I am quite heavy on the acceleration....