Roofbox for the Scout

In her wisdom my wife decided that we should go on holiday to Pembrokeshire this year for 2 weeks.

There will be me, my wife, our 2 adult children and our small dog plus all our luggage and as we will also be metal detecting, all our (4) detectors and kit and clothing as well as food as we're self-catering.

Although the Scout has a lot of luggage space I think I will need to fit a roofbox.

Being cautious and never having used a roofbox before I think I will only use it for soft luggage and bits that can go in black bin bags and not rigid cases or metal detectors etc.

Looking at reviews the Kamie 510 looks to be a good one.

Has anybody fitted one of these to their Scout, and if so, what roof bars did you use and does it do the job?

Or can you recommend a similar box and bars?

Cheers,

John

I bought a Kamei Delphin last summer. 

Very happy with it - quality piece of kit. 

7D607A32-AD2C-49E5-BFB8-D8BC6CD103A5.jpeg

If you have a garage, the hoist might be useful. 

I got it but have to confess haven’t used it. Mine sits up against the wall in the garage. 

Great box. The bars are really simple to fit & use, and are made of quality materials. 

Good luck. 

I’ve got the Kamei Husky XXL with Thule wingbars on mine. The box is great quality and really spacious.

The 510 looks very similar, I think the only difference is it’s dual opening and the husky is one side only. 

I’d go for bars you can get different foot packs for, so not the Skoda ones or you’ll have to change the bars when uou change car. Also the T track fittings are well worth it.

I've got the Thule Atlantis 200 with Thule bars.  I bought the roof box new 12 years ago and have used it loads.  Getting them onto the car is ideally a 2 person job and you need somewhere to store them.  Mine goes on top of a cabinet at the back of the garage to save it from being damaged.

The best way to pack them is get bulky items in first and pack smaller stuff around them in small bags or plastic bags - I keep opening and shutting it as I go to ensure it will lock.

If you haven't driven a car with one on before then make sure you know the height of your car with it fitted ( for low car parks / barriers), they can produce wind noise and will effect fuel economy. I fit mine as far back as possible (whilst allowing the boot to open).

IMG_1481.JPG

Edited by ScoutCJB

Let’s start a scout roofbox club:biggrin: got mine off  an auction site,.good bargains to be had, mine leaves room for my kayak and it’s easy to carry/store as half width, ps Scoutcjb, nice colour car you got there

327B0940-4F77-4836-8E18-98041E858EEF.png

Edited by andyasjl

15 hours ago, SimonD316 said:

I’ve got the Kamei Husky XXL with Thule wingbars on mine. The box is great quality and really spacious.

The 510 looks very similar, I think the only difference is it’s dual opening and the husky is one side only. 

I’d go for bars you can get different foot packs for, so not the Skoda ones or you’ll have to change the bars when uou change car. Also the T track fittings are well worth it.

Please forgive my ignorance but what are "T track" fittings and what purpose do they serve?

If I order the Kamei 510 box with the Altera Signo Roof Bars without the "T track" will that be enough kit to mount and use the box?

Is it straightforward to fit myself (I'm pretty competent as long as the fitting instructions are clear)?  

Also, as I don't have a garage, is the hoist any use to me or should I opt for the straps as my free gift?

If so what is their function?

Thank you in anticipation,

John

If you buy from the Roofbox Co., they will ensure you have the right kit to fit your box to the bars...and the Altera Signos definitely fit a Mk3 Octy Estate. 

Edited by dunc69

3 hours ago, andyasjl said:

ps Scoutcjb, nice colour car you got there

:D

After an unplanned mad dash to Manchester and back this afternoon it's now salty white!

Edited by ScoutCJB

• 4 weeks later...
On 17 March 2018 at 18:29, dunc69 said:

Took delivery of the Kamei 510 box and the Atera RT bars a couple of weeks ago and only just got around to fitting the roof bars late this afternoon.

Easy install and hand-tightened the bolts intill I couldn't turn the driver any more but I didn't hear any "clicks" whatsoever on any of the adjusters!

Is it the tool that clicks or the bolts?

Either way It was getting to the point that I feared shearing the bolts or breaking the tool as it was flexing a lot! 

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John

John, I don’t think they click. You just tighten the bars to the roof bars, and likewise tighten the box to the bars by winding the small handles. 

Don’t over tighten. 

I tend to check the bars & box won’t move, feel solid etc and then leave it at that. 

Thanks for that!

It's just that the instructions (albeit in diagrammatic form) show that you tighten until you get an audible "click"!

The bars are definitely tight enough though as I'm not exactly "sylph-like" and I can't budge them with all my strength.

I've spaced them at 800mm between, central on the Scout roof runners but may mount the box slghtly towards the front to clear the open boot door.

The package deal from the Roofbox Co came with the T-track adaptors which look lke a doddle to fit.

Hopefully I'll have the box fitted tomorrow!

Cheers,

John

Ah, I don’t remember that - the click I mean. 

It’s while since I’ve used mine to be fair.

Good luck! 

21 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Ah, I don’t remember that - the click I mean. 

It’s while since I’ve used mine to be fair.

Good luck! 

I got one to click today but the other three didn't but are extremely tight anyway.

After starting to fit the box using the T-track adapters I decided to use the u-bolts as I'm a bit of a skeptic and think the u-bolts give a much stronger (albeit not so simple) job.

The next question is.....

Have you measured the height of your Scout with the bars and box fitted?

The reason I ask is that some of our local seaside car parks have a height restriction and the one at Hengistbury Head (our local beach) is set at 2.1 metres.

I did a (rough) measurement on mine and it came out around 201cm which would be OK but have you had any problems parking in car parks or is 2.1 metres the norm?

Cheers,

John

John, mine is a vRS so lower than yours. 

I did a rough calculation before a ferry trip last Summer. 

Roofbox = 146.5cm car + 46cm

BCD01350-FF0C-47E7-BBA7-C153D4E8D9F8.jpeg

10 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

John, mine is a vRS so lower than yours. 

I did a rough calculation before a ferry trip last Summer. 

Roofbox = 146.5cm car + 46cm

BCD01350-FF0C-47E7-BBA7-C153D4E8D9F8.jpeg

Cheers anyway!

As the Scout with the bars and box is a tad over 2 metres high and, as I've just discovered Mudeford Avon Run beach car park has a height restriction of 2 metres I've decided to take the box off until our Welsh trip in June in case I forget and have a disaster!

Just a thought....

If you remove the hydraulic stays from both sides and (with a helper) unlock both sides of the box simultaneously can the top be lifted off completely?

If so this would make re-fitting the box a much easier job!

Cheers,

John

Edited by Johnfella