2016 Octavia Scout - Rusty Rear Discs

I know this has been discussed many times before, I also appreciate brake discs are largely exposed metal, the obvious reasons for why this has to be and their vulnerability as a result.

Saying that, it's 2018 and the rear discs on VAG (and other manufacturers) vehicles continue to develop significant corrosion on the easily visible non-contact surfaces.

How hard can it be to paint or sufficiently protect them? No doubt it's more expensive, sure I can paint them myself, but why should I?

This is a Skoda UK lease car so I won't be doing anything about it and it'll soon be Skoda's problem.

The alloys are quite open which probably doesn't help. I spoke to Skoda UK, they pretended to be interested and asked me to take the car to a dealer, but I politely declined so instead they promised to feed back to the powers that be. We all know nothing will change.

Not the end of the world but to me it does detract from an 18 month old car. If I'd paid £25,000 then I'd be a little miffed...

20180318_143617.thumb.jpg.2c36681fc0c562d1e198a23d262ffa28.jpg

20180318_143609.thumb.jpg.33eec73e9fdc857885d16b71add52254.jpg

Mine are like this and I know they had been replaced at some point prior to buying it ... whether they are genuine or not I don't know.   My intent is to replace with MTEC disks all round (which I have used on previous cars and in my opinion are very good).

A lick of paint from new would protect them and some manufacturers I'm sure have this on as standard (on the MTEC brakes it's a £20 option).  On a previous car years ago my standard brakes were like this and I just rubbed them down and painted them with Hammerstein satin silver and it resolved the issue.

The issue I have is that the rust is leaving yellow staining on the rims ... not to big an issue as it will clean off but just unsightly until I get around to sorting it.

• Like 1

Most OEM discs are coated with dacramet from the disc manufacturers. Rusty surfaces are only cosmetic and don’t interfere with operation. Not many folks will consider it an issue so manufacturers won’t add another expensive process, paint equipment, paint materials and testing program to the production process. Those customers who do complain are likely to have the discs painted in silver from a Halfords rattle can at the dealers. They certainly won’t change the discs out for exactly the same parts as you will get the same result in a year or so.

£5 can of VHT silver paint and 30 mins fiddling sorted mine out for the past 12months. Will do it again with the remaining 1/2 can when my winter wheels come off.

Unless you change the disc material, cast iron will always rust which will discolour the wheels when using the brakes for the first time after they got wet, or by metal particles ejected during braking sticking to the wheels and rusting.

Rubbish but that’s Automotive for you. 

• Like 2

Good advice, cheers gents.

Had a quite scoot about on MTEC's website, searching for the Octavia Scout only reveals what appear to be performance discs (drilled or grooved etc.) which are better suited to the vRS.

Do you know if MTEC do regular non painted discs that benefit from the black painted surface?

23 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Had a quite scoot about on MTEC's website, searching for the Octavia Scout only reveals what appear to be performance discs (drilled or grooved etc.) which are better suited to the vRS.

Do you know if MTEC do regular non painted discs that benefit from the black painted surface?

There is no reason why you can't use drilled, grooved, or dimple discs on a Scout.  I ran drilled only disks on my Oct 2 Scout front and rear with Brembo pads and had no issues at all.  

There are benefits from drilled discs in that they help release gas build up from the pad, reduce brake fade as well as allowing water to be expelled .... sounds an odd one that but driving on a motorway in heavy rain in my current Oct 3 Scout and then braking I have experienced that momentary delay and initial poor brake sensation as the disks dry off before being properly effective.

Pic below of my MTECs fitted on my Oct 2 Scout (and me angle grinding a bolt of a knackered drop link :angry:)

IMG_1482.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Wot no axle stands ?

Dunno how you fit under the car with balls that big

Gotta alot riding on a rubber seal there but, each to his own

To be fair, you can see the wheels of a second trolley jack in the edge of the picture...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Wot no axle stands ?

Dunno how you fit under the car with balls that big

Gotta alot riding on a rubber seal there but, each to his own

I know, not ideal.  It was a simple drop link swap that turned into an angle grinding session on a Sunday afternoon  :dry:

10 hours ago, wg100 said:

To be fair, you can see the wheels of a second trolley jack in the edge of the picture...

And to the right of the 2nd trolley jack a large wooden block, the car raised about 1" above it so if it did drop it would rest on that.  I don't like working on a car like this, it's not the norm.

On 19/03/2018 at 20:46, silver1011 said:

On 19/03/2018 at 20:46, silver1011 said:

When I got mine from mtec you could choose plain, drilled,  slotted, or slotted and drilled for the same price. The black coating was an add on extra I assumed they did it in house when you ordered.

Edited by maul
  • Like 1

My Golf had brand new genuine rear discs & pads fitted in july 17 & ive covered 8k since then & they are very rusty already on the non braking surfaces,i may paint them in the summer as it is a bit unsightly & isnt helped by the open look wheels fitted,as you know silver 1011 the roads we both travel on every day are not the best & dont help matters. 

• Like 1