Superb Hybrid. Huge tax savings for company car drivers.

Just looking at the ongoing tax situation for company car drivers. I currently have a VRS Octavia as a company car

Was considering a Audi A4 Avant with a 190 diesel engine for next year. 

Company car tax would be 30% of list price so £11,173 on which I would be taxed at 40%, so £4469, or £372 per month for the privilege of having a company car.

HOWEVER

The government is bringing in a lower tax rate for hybrids depending on emissions and electric range

For cars with a range of between 40 and 69 miles, the BIK rate is only 8%, so given that Skoda are claiming a range of 44miles , and assuming the Superb costs around £36,000, the taxable amount would be £2880 at 40%= £1152

That's a SAVING of £3300 a year in TAX!!!!!!!

The only problem with this is the high cost to the company, the lease prices are very expensive for Hybrids i know my company looked into it as i work in London often but found the lease prices at the moment to expensive.

They have kept with Diesel cars for now as i do 25k a year as it still works out cheaper,perhaps in 3 years time after this lease has run out they will go Hybrid,but for now i will just have to put up wither higher

tax.

Edited by MarkUk63

Get a 1.4 or 1.5 petrol

They are cheaper to buy and 21% tax I think and if you don't pay for fuel you will be ok. Cheaper on private mileage depending how your company charge you. 42 mpg I am getting.

It will be around £200 A year more expensive to drive the petrol car if you do around 10,000 miles a year.

The petrol car costs around £1000 less than the diesel equivalent. 

There may be some more Tax implications for diesel cars in year 2 and 3?

Edited by vfrvrs

3 hours ago, vfrvrs said:

Get a 1.4 or 1.5 petrol

They are cheaper to buy and 21% tax I think and if you don't pay for fuel you will be ok. Cheaper on private mileage depending how your company charge you. 42 mpg I am getting.

It will be around £200 A year more expensive to drive the petrol car if you do around 10,000 miles a year.

The petrol car costs around £1000 less than the diesel equivalent. 

There may be some more Tax implications for diesel cars in year 2 and 3?

I think the petrol cars still have high emissions.

the 1.4 TSI is 122g co2. So still 27% BIK. 

Hybrid is is a massive saving for higher rate tax payers as long as the lease cost isn't extortionate 

Edited by carrock
Spelling

Changes happen 1st April this year like Euro 6 Diesels that have not been Real World Tested going up one VED band in the first year.

Many Manufacturers will be stopping producing these models & even some Hybrids after September 2018 when rules change again, 

their Co2 g/km figures are works of fiction, as with the VW Golf GTE,

hence the likes of 'Closed Order Books now'.   Petrol engines will have Gasoline Particulate Filters for the Testing, and new Type Approval on new vehicle.

For the UK no idea how anyone can talk about 'Next Year' when in this years budget the chancellor can change vehicle Taxes, VED, Business users taxes from April 2019, which happens to be after Brexit anyway.

Derren Brown is required to advise on buying or leasing or financing car, vans etc in Summer 2019.

Skoda says 19 new models by the end of 2020.

Well seeing as all that is coming out in 2018 is a Face Lifted Fabia Mk3 with no Diesel & Petrols with GPF, 

and then maybe Octavia vRS 'refreshed'.   ie Tested Real World & Co2 g/km figures, 

maybe some vRS Kodiaq & Karoq, maybe a Fabia / Rapid mix SUV, 

there is not much in the way of a New Model really, the e-Citigo will be interesting if on the new platform, 

but if just really in 2019 a e-Up! with a Skoda badge that is not a 'New Model'. 

New 'Trim levels' are not New Models, something gets lost in translation there from German to CZ to English.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Not sure the chancellor can change things retrospectively, the changes this year are for cars registered after the 1st of April and do not apply to cars registered before this date.

My BIK for my SEL rises £1500 over the 3 years of the lease.

He is not changing retrospectively & i never suggested he was, but said he can change them from next April or Next year. 

He said, New vehicles & not meeting the newest standards, where actually they are Brand New meeting Current Standards.

(He just increased current registered vehicles VED by a few quid.)

I was just saying nobody knows what is coming in 2019 for those Hybrids with Kidology VED & Co2 g/km figures, 

those business users that run them not on Electric very much but on liquid fuel purchased from pumps in filling stations,

even in towns and cities with high pollution levels.

A  Diesel Euro 6 car bought today and first registered in March that is £200 VED in the first year will be £500, the band below goes up £20, 

if first registered in April if it does not meet the latest Emission Standards which are not yet introduced, so really if they have not go Real World Test C02 g/km figures.

@19 minutes.

Edited by AwaoffSki

20 hours ago, carrock said:

I think the petrol cars still have high emissions.

the 1.4 TSI is 122g co2. So still 27% BIK. 

Hybrid is is a massive saving for higher rate tax payers as long as the lease cost isn't extortionate 

I believe the Petrol is 23%

Diesel seems to be 26% for the same co2

All Diesel car are 3% higher than the equivalent Petrol

Edited by vfrvrs

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 19:49, vfrvrs said:

I believe the Petrol is 23%

Diesel seems to be 26% for the same co2

All Diesel car are 3% higher than the equivalent Petrol

No.

Diesel cars are 4% higher than petrols in the same emissions band

The 1.4TSI petrol is now 25% and next year will be 28% of P11D value.

• 5 months later...

So the Grants for Plug in Hybrid cars end on 9th November 2018 in the UK.

Manufacturers will just have to price them right then, or customers pay up, maybe manufacturers can build ones that actually run longer on Electric and less kidology on low C02 g/km. Also not just being used by people to get parking places by plugging in and parking when they run on the Diesel or Petrol actually but get into Low Emission zones / Congestion Charge areas & get Tax Breaks.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-45831150

http://gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants

Edited by Offski

Simples

Opt out, my personal lease (25k a year) is 360 a month so less than the tax bill if I had it as a company car.

It took me a while but eventually I persuaded SWMBO that a company car was too expensive.  The last one was a 2.0d Passat and that was cost neutral compared to a lease.

Hybrids also cost a fortune in fuel as you are carting that enormous battery around on long journeys

You can't buy a VW hybrid at present as lead times are huge 12+months!, no Merc hybrids either

As above I'll be looking to opt out when my next company car is due in 1.5 years

Looking at the rates currently a 40% taxpayer with a Passat GTE Estate will be paying £2035 a year.

A 40% taxpayer with 1.4 TSI Superb SE-L Estate DSG will be paying £2907 a year.

A very nice saving if your employer will supply you with such a car. Considering its £10000 more that the Superb, smaller, probably less well equipped and in the real world will do very little extra MPG unless its mostly town use with a full battery every night I personally cannot see why anyone would buy one.

Several of our senior managers had Mitsubishi PHEV's simply to save themselves money, I think the company got tax benefits 3 years ago. None of them charged the cars at work or at home, simply could not be bothered. What they had was a heavy, 2 litre petrol SUV doing about 30 mpg.

I am all for doing my bit for the planet but likes not take the ****, cars like that are just a con.

In the UK pretty much all EU made hybrids are unavailable. Probably due to the new emmisions regs. Lead times have always been massive forthem since they were have been introduced. The lease company we use basically stopped letting them be ordered a few years ago

In the UK VW stopped taking orders for VW Golf GTE early 2018 because they said, there was such a demand and the waiting time was 6 months.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/orders-suspended-volkswagen-golf-gte

Truth being the Implausible / Irregular C02 g/km with the 1.4TSI engines as known since September 2017 & they knew they were rumbled,

and then them going to discontinue the 1.4TSI's even when not in a Hybrid.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/344708-i-am-having-hybrid-thoughts-golf-gte

EDIT,

Interesting that any Manufacturer that has a WLTP / RDE tested car would not be building them, 

or is it just they are not Tested & Approved and not going to meet the required C02 g/km?

Drivers are being denied the chance to buy hybrid cars by manufacturers _ This is Money.mhtml

Edited by Offski

18 hours ago, Offski said:

Interesting that any Manufacturer that has a WLTP / RDE tested car would not be building them, 

or is it just they are not Tested & Approved and not going to meet the required C02 g/km?

What is a required CO2 g/km ?

I thought the manufacturer just had to meet an upper limit averaged across whole range

Can you explain further please

That would be the range they can go without the ICE running and the C02 g/km for the category they want them to fall into for the buyers.

So just check what the C02 g/km are to be in different classes.

http://gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants/what-youll-get

If they meet under the requirements under the old EU testing and are accepted into that category then if under WLTP / RDE they are also getting those figures then sorted & all is good obviously.

Just the Grants in the UK being reduced next month.

At least there will be Hybrids around that are available that are not Plug ins.

Edited by Offski

In addition to the PHEV's we also had a couple of engineers in the company with Toyota Hybrids.

Why did they have them, obviously the huge saving in company car tax compared to their previous diesels, think it was a Honda and a Golf.

Did they like them, most certainly not. Both found them sluggish and incredibly noisy with the engine running at high revs. I went on one business trip with one of the chaps in his Auris Hybrid, it was dreadful. He was driving at 55 mph surrounded by HGV's on the motorway and I felt very unsafe, it was the only way to get decent mpg. My 1.4 TSi 140 PS Leon would beat the Auris if he drove normally and the Superb is actually better than the Leon, probably the ACT bit.

All you get on the motorway is a normally aspirated 1800cc petrol CVT car. The VAG TSi's are far better in this circumstance.

Used solely in town the Toyotas might win but on our twice a year 1000 mile round trip to Scotland its not an experience I would enjoy.

Hybrids will never save the planrt, they are simply a con trick.

Bizarre thoughts on the hybrids there, but everyone will always have differing views on them.

My old man drives a 16 plate Auris Hybrid, and I drive it a lot. Now, due to the nature of my job, I do a lot of motorway miles with a lot of weight in the car all the time, and I can still see 60mpg. I can't get that in the same situation in the Auris. That said, on his commute (70 mile round trip, mostly motorway), he's seen into the 70s mpg wise, and not exactly driving like Miss Daisy. There's a technique to driving them - I've not mastered it yet to be fair. But, I've godda say, I don't really find it that sluggish, especially compared to other cars in it's class (Golf 1.6 TDI, similar spec Focus etc), and it feels absolutely fine on the motorway. If anything, in heavy rain with a lot of surface water, it's very similar kerb weight to the Superb, but with narrower tyres, it actually feels more planted on the road than my Superb does on it's 235s.

They excel around town really, or in slow commuter traffic. I can get 60mpg doing 70mph on the motorway without too much effort, but the Superb does that too and it's more civilised... and then like I said, add weight, and the Toyota is the one which suffers on the economy front as it's already a heavy car for it's size. 

Ultimately, some love them, others don't. He's on his second one at the moment, probably getting a third in March. He loves them, and my mum has just gone fro ma 14 plate to a 68 plate Yaris Hybrid - now there's a massive difference in those 4 and a half years in refinement and build quality there. Feels as good as the Auris, but economy isn't as good as it's the smaller 1.5 unit from the earlier Prius and comes with a smaller battery pack. But, still feels like a very solid car on the road.

Would I have one? Not of this generation... but there's a new hybrid Corolla (replacing the Auris) due next year, which is giving 180 - 190 bhp, rather than the 136 of the Auris... that one might tempt me!

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect one of the things causing long lead times for hybrids is that VW, Mercedes etc simply can't make them profitably (and so deliberately hold back on production). I think they tend to have to make them in their most expensive plants, and they're really not that good at the technology. It'll be interesting to see how they do when Tesla start offering affordable cars in EU/UK.

Edited by thewinelake