Jamaican car rental

Skodaniel

Evening all. I am going to Jamaica this year and looking to rent a car from the airport. Has anyone any experience with this?ive heard rumours about people using airport car hire places, being told one price then getting there and being given unavoidable extra charges. Obviously I don't this. I can hire from the wife's family but then I won't have insurance. Any help is appreciated. 

Dan 

I’ve hired many a car abroad and have always pre-booked using a reputable and known company. Touch wood, I’ve never had a problem. 

I’ve not been to Jamaica, so have no personal experience on that particular island as to whether or not there is such a company, but that’s where I would be looking. 

Usually, although I did get caught out with an ERAC subsidiary in France when their snow chains snapped on their hire car. We were in the middle of the alps and ended up missing our flights that cost us over £150 each (four of us) for replacement flights. They were not interested:o

• 2 weeks later...

...apart from all the missing roadsigns. People need them to repair their roofs so tourists get lost as a result.

Mo-Bay rush hour is pretty scary when you have a $1500 deposit on the rental car too.

• 2 weeks later...

All this reminds me of an old ( possibly 60-70's ) song about flights to Jamaica abourd "Coconut Airways"- "hey, we're flying to Jamaica".