Caravan with an Octavia

keith_the

My 1.8 tsi Octavia 2 needs to go but what engine should I go for to tow my little Eriba Troll (correct name for this Germanic pop top caravan ) 1500 kg all up so any Octavia 3 apart from GreenLine is recommended. No one allows a test drive with a caravan tow ! Unsurprisingly.

The easy answer is the biggest engine which is how I got a 160 bhp petrol car that pulls like a train and gives 25 mpg when towing , no one ever got stuck behind me even on the long m5 hill out of Exeter but more mpg is needed and I do drive like a nun .

so 1.6 diesel or the 2 litre diesel ?

our 80 bhp 1.3 petrol Jimny just tows it but not up hills fast . So is a larger 110 bhp diesel with that diesel low down torque good enough . 

Any ideas or anicdotes welcome .

Just now, Frenchchris said:

Hi there,

I had a good look through this https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/tow-car/model/3156-manufactured-by-skoda  before we settled on our Superb.......... we haven't towed with it yet, that comes later. 

Yor superb will be a great tow car - even my 1.6 superb is a great tow car!

• 3 weeks later...

We have the 2.0 and it gives 35+ mpg towing 1325klg with no problem.Solo anything up to 60@mpg according to terrain.Might add that have been keeping records of mpg done and over the 96k it works out at 42mpg