Service Interval - Variable or Fixed ?

Hi everyone,

I bought my Octavia Mk3 on October 9th 2015. Looking in the infotainment unit I saw I was on 'variable' servicing, meaning 30.000 km and/or 2 years. Looking at that odometer I saw sometimes it decreased faster (1 km driven - 20 km decrease) or slower (1 km driven - 1 decreased) and I totally understand this. However, after the first oil change which occurred at ~22800 km I noticed the odometer being at 24.200 km and 700 days. I called the service and they said this is normal. While I don't consider this a normal answer the amount of kms was OK for me so I havent' continued.  Until today's oil change I saw that 1km on that odometer = 1 km driven (odd right ?) . Now, after today's oil change I the odometer was reading 22400 and 500 days. Thinking that this is not normal I tried to reset the interval using the reset button (in the dash, underneath the dials) and to my surprise the oil service odometer now shows 15.000 km and 365 days.

My question is: how do I know I am on variable service interval and not the fixed one ? I want to know this before going to the service manager.

Thanks.

I just got back from the service where I actually attended the 'reset' step and now it displays 22500km and 550 days. I saw with my own eyes the variable servicing interval :(. The guys say that these numbers come directly from Skoda.

In my opinion for your engine health it is best to do oil change every year and stay on fixed intervals. This variable intervals ruin your engine in a long run. They want you tu buy a new car every few years so...

• Confused 1

On 26/03/2018 at 12:29, gttoma said:

Hi everyone,

I bought my Octavia Mk3 on October 9th 2015. Looking in the infotainment unit I saw I was on 'variable' servicing, meaning 30.000 km and/or 2 years. Looking at that odometer I saw sometimes it decreased faster (1 km driven - 20 km decrease) or slower (1 km driven - 1 decreased) and I totally understand this. However, after the first oil change which occurred at ~22800 km I noticed the odometer being at 24.200 km and 700 days. I called the service and they said this is normal. While I don't consider this a normal answer the amount of kms was OK for me so I havent' continued.  Until today's oil change I saw that 1km on that odometer = 1 km driven (odd right ?) . Now, after today's oil change I the odometer was reading 22400 and 500 days. Thinking that this is not normal I tried to reset the interval using the reset button (in the dash, underneath the dials) and to my surprise the oil service odometer now shows 15.000 km and 365 days.

My question is: how do I know I am on variable service interval and not the fixed one ? I want to know this before going to the service manager.

Thanks.

Reset button? In the dash? What? Where? Huh?

News to me - where do I find out more about this!?