2 Out Of 3 Ain’t Bad ........

........ a good old Meat Loaf song.

Visited my dealer today to discuss warranty work.

1. The infamous LH wiper blade not doing it’s job wiping the top few inches properly. “Just wipe the blade clean with screen wash fluid” said the man. Wouldn’t admit there’s anything wrong with the blade design. When we discussed the poor spread from the washer jets he told me that the small screw that can be seen by the jet is an adjusting screw, not a jet mounting screw.  Haven’t tried it yet.

2. Wheel centre caps rotting away as usual. New set on order. Score 1.

3. Rear brake discs / pads not operating properly across the full width of the disc area. I compared with 2 visiting Audis yesterday with lovely silver operating areas on their rear discs. It didn’t take much to get agreement that “they shouldn’t look like that”, though the man did try to convince me that rusty brake discs will be braking better than non-rusty discs.  I let that go rather than argue that Lewis and co. preferred smooth discs for their first 2018 outing in Melbourne. New discs on order. Score 2.

The car will be 1 year old next week. With just under 10K miles.

ps - wasn’t overly impressed with an overloaded Kodiaq Scout in the showroom. Primer grey is not a colour. Fake skid plates and fake exhaust pipes are simply childish. Not worth the £41K sticker price.

pps - the Karoq is a nice wee car

44823494-7683-4FEC-8761-83C1BB2A2C9B.jpeg

7BBBFF53-453A-4BE7-9002-47BE27373428.jpeg

8FB0EB01-AA33-4181-999F-BCF4390B8040.jpeg

1CDCF7C5-9673-47DC-8B0A-74A1E0FF8C13.jpeg

56101D1B-EC4B-4CDD-9789-F587BAB8B07A.jpeg

29 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

The infamous LH wiper blade not doing it’s job wiping the top few inches properly

Let me know if you manage to sort this out. It's definitely the same on mine, and has been from new.

It does look like the washer jet is angled slightly down on that side though, so I was wondering if angling it slightly further up (same as on the driver's side) would help... but haven't investigated to see if that is at all possible.

3 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

ps - wasn’t overly impressed with an overloaded Kodiaq Scout in the showroom. Primer grey is not a colour. Fake skid plates and fake exhaust pipes are simply childish. Not worth the £41K sticker price.

One mans meat is another mans poison.

If we all liked the same women etc. etc.

I find the regular Kodiaq boring and a little plain, the Scout adds some much needed bling.

As for the rear trim, they don't look to be impersonating exhausts to me...

dsc_1242.thumb.jpg.4423db4c8d38c6c6464455d1232809f4.jpg

Ask the dealer if you can keep the new centre caps and put them on when the weather improves, unfortunately the new ones will soon follow suit. Poor design that Skoda have so far failed to remedy.

Can you claim for new centre caps a year after? Do they class that as wear and tear. Intrested to find out as my kodiaq is brand new and things like this didnt bother me as ive always brought Used. Ive too noticed that the left wiper is not as affective as the right - leaves streaks across the screen but im not sure what the dealer wouod say about that? Car is only 2 days old 

Sounds like Boxer Boy has had some success, I'm sure it is down to each dealer, some are more customer focused than others.

Fair wear and tear for me covers tyres, non-LED bulbs, brakes, exhaust, scuffed alloys etc.

Corrosion on the wheels without evidence of a stone chips or external interference should be covered.

Skoda and their problematic alloy wheel centre caps go back many years, even well before the latest design...

Capture.JPG.2ad0992d7ee60b86479fc8411a05f2b9.JPG

Unfortunately their very removal and replacement can introduce corrosion to the alloy wheel itself as they are push fit, a very tight fit at that.

Interesting, on my last Skoda the centre caps did not corrode for 6 years. Will keep an eye on these. I can only hope the dealer would see these as unreasonable wear and tear and replace. To be fair the cost of the item is not the issue here. It is the time it takes to replace each one. They need knocking out from behind so you need to take each wheel off and then pop another in. The set is a tenner at most.

That brake disk wear is concerning uneven. The pad seems to have a high spot. That is new pads and rotors surely.

Edited by jasoncmiles

Most dealers don't bother removing the wheels, they use a self tapping screw straight through the plastic cap and pull it off by pulling on the screw with a pair of pliers!

Or 1 small hole and pull the cap out with the piece of bent wire included with the spare wheel kit.

I believe it’s intended for pulling the larger VAG centre caps that usually have a wee hole for doing so.

That’s what I was going to do if he had given me a set of caps there and then.

I've not seen any Skoda centre caps with the hole but it is definitely a VAG thing...

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.ace326a772d121a7cbce279045925e65.jpg

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.d2f13179a13b84282ac76f895f257e71.jpg

I believe this tool also serves as an aid for opening the foglight bulb replacement panel on the inner wheelarch liner on the Kodiaq.

11 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I've not seen any Skoda centre caps with the hole but it is definitely a VAG thing...

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.ace326a772d121a7cbce279045925e65.jpg

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.d2f13179a13b84282ac76f895f257e71.jpg

I believe this tool also serves as an aid for opening the foglight bulb replacement panel on the inner wheelarch liner on the Kodiaq.

I belive he same tool is also used to remove a panel on the front  bumper to allow the towing eye to be fitted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny R said:

I belive he same tool is also used to remove a panel on the front  bumper to allow the towing eye to be fitted.

I think we now push in the bottom (or top) of the towing eye cap and it rocks out without needing a hook.

I was lead to belive that you insert the tool in the small hole between the two parking sensors to remove panel to reveal where towing eye fits.

F9BC0B55-27DF-40B7-8433-E84D172EB324.jpeg

If you going to fiddle with the washer nozle tell us how it goes..

On 26. 3. 2018 at 16:55, BoxerBoy said:

3. Rear brake discs / pads not operating properly across the full width of the disc area. I compared with 2 visiting Audis yesterday with lovely silver operating areas on their rear discs. It didn’t take much to get agreement that “they shouldn’t look like that”, though the man did try to convince me that rusty brake discs will be braking better than non-rusty discs.  I let that go rather than argue that Lewis and co. preferred smooth discs for their first 2018 outing in Melbourne. New discs on order. Score 2.

8FB0EB01-AA33-4181-999F-BCF4390B8040.jpeg

"rusty brake discs will be braking better than non-rusty discs." - it specificly says IN THE MANUAL, that if your pads are rusty you will have a DECREASED BRAKE PERFORMANCE and that THERE IS A DANGER OF AN ACCIDENT -> just show the cars manual to that person and let him get out of that.

I can even see an edge in the groove the pads made, that disc needs to be replaced as a whole when they fix your brakes, not just the calipers and pads.

I have fiddled with the washer nozzles and it gets better.

Go fiddle and see if you can see an improvement.

I’m carrying the Torx key to give them a tweak occasionally.

Edited by BoxerBoy

• 1 month later...

Out With The Old - In With The New

Rear brakes and centre caps that is.

Seems the wheel centre caps were on long delivery, then we had to find a mutually convenient day when I could get a loan car.

I hesitate to say “courtesy car” when I have to fuel it to get home and I’m the one being inconvenienced for most of a day.

BTW - it was a not-so-Rapid. With absolutely NO mod cons on a hot afternoon.

11,750 miles and almost 14 months old.

Maybe this will become an annual event. Now the pads have to bedded in properly.

The poor technician had to remove the front wheels to remove the centre caps, because  they have to be returned to SKODA in one piece. Else they’d have been drilled and yanked out.

I deliberately asked as I wanted to know if all wheels had been removed so I know they’re not seized on at the moment.

A software update was carried out along the way. Seems to be associated with the airwaves and connectivity nonsense, so I won’t notice any difference.

And a well needed wash was thrown in too. I was testing them with that one :)

It was wonderful climbing back into the beast after enduring a round trip in the Rapid.

The wee thing ran OK and I found I haven’t lost my touch with the gear stick thing and an extra pedal, but not even having wheel buttons for the radio, no DAB, no cruise, no AC, made it really feel archaic. I don’t think I’d survive a long journey in the seating either.

DD62834E-F8D0-4C49-B156-2DE236B002C7.jpeg

BC75C7C2-F725-4A18-9283-F122AA2EB96F.jpeg

900EAFB0-207B-4BFA-ABC9-D3E2548220E9.jpeg

EFBB205F-B074-467A-9944-26EF1179A577.jpeg

50B6A854-7A35-42C5-BAFC-6C8EBE0E072E.jpeg

56D324F6-C10D-4C14-A268-9C06A6D9ED80.jpeg

They’ve been a bit slap happy with the  coppaslip on the brake pad in the last picture, that will surely cause problems at a later date.

A sure way of stopping brake squeal!

Excess copper slip should only become an issue if the brakes get really hot, hot enough to melt the copper slip, no mean feat :D

• 1 year later...

Today my Bear received a second replacement set of rear brake discs and pads under warranty.

I think the paperwork showed an acronym "TIP" - I think that means Technical Information Paper - referencing incorrect brake pad material.

The first set lasted 13 months and 11,700 miles.

Second set lasted another 12,000 miles. Car is now exactly 27 month sold.

This set of brakes should see me through to April 2020 when it gets handed back.

The funny (haha) thing was that the first time I complained there was no question whatsover that something was wrong, but the second time I got some lip from the service guy who "wasn't sure if Skoda would replace under warranty".  Then things went quiet for several weeks and I was about to push them when the call came a few days ago to book the car in.

I still love the car but Cheese for brakes is just ridiculous.

Was it the same issue the second time - only partial cleaning of the discs...

Probably has incorrect balance between Front and Rear - with insufficent force to rear brake calipers?

At least on older cars - pre ABS - it would have been the balance valve or caliper that was issue..

The rear disks on my Kodiaq are in a terrible state, really badly corroded. Car has done 20,000 miles and is less than 2 years old, but the last time I looked on this forum I got the impression that Skoda would just say they're consumables and not covered under warranty. After reading this thread I might go try my dealer for replacement disks and pads.

Getting access to the TPI is important here, if this is out in the public domain it can be printed off and presented to the dealer for those with similar issues, making it much more difficult for the dealer to peddle the 'not under warranty' line.

On 07/08/2019 at 10:43, silver1011 said:

Getting access to the TPI is important here, if this is out in the public domain it can be printed off and presented to the dealer for those with similar issues, making it much more difficult for the dealer to peddle the 'not under warranty' line.

What does TPI stand for?